Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Properties in Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2013, 3:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, DL Plat, *G, OW G, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat

Hi All,

Starting to plan my honeymoon and I have been accumulating spg points.
Hawaii is definitely on the shortlist for destination. Wondering what all of your opinions are on the nicest hawaiian properties in the program? Thanks
Old Jan 1, 2013, 4:11 am

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by jason53
Hi All,

Hawaii is definitely on the shortlist for destination. Wondering what all of your opinions are on the nicest hawaiian properties in the program? Thanks
For a honeymoon I would go to St. Regis in Princeville, Kauai. Especially if you stay in a suite.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 4:58 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Alex_I
For a honeymoon I would go to St. Regis in Princeville, Kauai. Especially if you stay in a suite.
Agreed. OP, you can book four nights on points and guarantee a suite upgrade with a little over 2,000 points extra per night (so around 90,000 Starpoints). With that said, do your homework on when you're planning to take your trip to Hawaii and what the rain and weather are during that time. We went to Maui and Kauai for our honeymoon back in late May/early June and stayed for five nights at the Westin Villas (Maui) and five nights at the St. Regis (Kauai). This was the start of the dry season and we have very little rain during our time on both. However, if you go to Kauai during the wet season, you would want to stay in Poipu or somewhere on the south side of the island, as Kauai will be wet and the waters will be much more dangerous than in the dry season.

Whichever island(s) you pick out, I would recommend getting the latest edition of the "Revealed" books available for that island (by Andrew Doughty). These are definitely great companions to have on your trip.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 6:54 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Flying Blue Plat

Agree with all. Honeymoon = Kauai and the St Regis. No other SPG property comes close in Hawaii as a romantic destination.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 8:29 am
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
Nope, there are two issues:

1) what time if year are we discussing?
2) how many islands do you plan to visit?

The St Regis is the best property but it rains heavily at times, it's very isolated, you need a car and the restaurants are poor.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 7:54 pm

I usually try to stay out of these threads because people insist that rain is a bad thing on the North Shore of Kauai. It does rain more than the south shore, but we're talking showers, unless there's a storm system, and if there is a storm system that affects the entire island. Does it rain more in Hanalei than it does in Poipu? It sure does, because the North Shore has lush tropical waterfalls, and Poipu has cactus growing naturally.

During those showers we don't even leave the beaches.

If you're unlucky and there's a storm system when you are there, you will be affected no matter which side of the island you are on.

I used to live on the North Shore of Kauai and it was the nicest, naturally prettiest, most tranquil place I ever lived. The St. Regis Princeville is a great choice for honeymooners no matter what time of year you go, though my favorite months on Kauai are October and May. There's also the nearby Starwood timeshare property (Westin Princeville Ocean Resort.)

I know this won't end the debate at all (which is fine, everybody's making a valid point to some degree), but just wanted to give a different perspective so you can do your own research and make a decision based on your own preferences.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Jan 1, 2013 at 8:02 pm
Old Jan 1, 2013, 8:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by jason53
Hi All,

This may be a start:

Hawaii for Honeymoon?
Old Jan 1, 2013, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
I usually try to stay out of these threads because people insist that rain is a bad thing on the North Shore of Kauai. It does rain more than the south shore, but we're talking showers, unless there's a storm system, and if there is a storm system that affects the entire island. Does it rain more in Hanalei than it does in Poipu? It sure does, because the North Shore has lush tropical waterfalls, and Poipu has cactus growing naturally.
^ We've been in Princeville in March when the waves were 30 ft high and surfing competition was canceled because it was too dangerous. We've also been in Princeville in June/July when the waves were maybe 1 ft high. We've had rain and showers on all occasions. But, Kauai is still our favorite island of all.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 7:30 pm

We go to 3 or 4 of the islands every year and always to Kauai and spend some time at the St Regis. While it's great, it definitely, wouldn't be my first choice. I would suggest the Westin Maui Resort (the hotel, not the timeshares) or the Sheaton Maui Resort to have some fun in a spectacular setting close to lots of restaurants and activities.
(btw, I think a suite upgrade is 20k-25k a nt at the St. Regis)
Old Jan 3, 2013, 9:30 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by jibi
Agreed. OP, you can book four nights on points and guarantee a suite upgrade with a little over 2,000 points extra per night (so around 90,000 Starpoints).
No, you cannot. You would only have an ocean view for the extra 2k.

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
It does rain more than the south shore, but we're talking showers...

During those showers we don't even leave the beaches.

-David
Agreed on both cases. The pool attendants are well aware of the rain issues and often will provide extra towels to shield you

In terms of physical property, the St. Regis cannot be beat. The Sheraton on the South shore has better access to dining and beaches (yes some lovely ones on the north shore as well).

Originally Posted by frankhi
We go to 3 or 4 of the islands every year and always to Kauai and spend some time at the St Regis. While it's great, it definitely, wouldn't be my first choice. I would suggest the Westin Maui Resort (the hotel, not the timeshares) or the Sheaton Maui Resort to have some fun in a spectacular setting close to lots of restaurants and activities.
(btw, I think a suite upgrade is 20k-25k a nt at the St. Regis)
The Westin Hotel Maui is full of kids when compared to the Sheraton. If you want "tranquil" work to ensure your room at the Sheraton is on Black Rock. You can leave your lanai door open at night and listen to the sound of waves and nary hear much more than the occasional neighbor. Compared to the Westin where I was awoken each morning by the pool and beach noise (beach wing room) the Sheraton is practically a Ritz Carlton.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
It's not my first pick as a general recommendation, or for families (I'd go with the Kā'anapali Villas), but for a honeymoon, I'd agree with the St. Regis Princeville on Kaua'i.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 7:11 pm

Most vacation places, and especially in Hawaii, have lots of kids when kids are out of schools, and, likewise, few kids when they are not.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 7:32 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AAdvantage
We stayed at both last year for our 2nd anniversary. The St. Regis feels like something special. The Sheraton Maui feels like a big ol' Sheraton though not as busy as the Sheraton Waikiki. We visited our friends staying at the Four Seasons Maui (Wailea) and that property made the Sheraton Maui look like the frumpy sister with the brown sweater. If you must stay with SPG, stay at the St. Regis if you want their most upscale Hawaii property.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:13 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond,
Honeymoon: Hawaii: SPG: = Princeville; no question. you will NOT forget it--rain or shine.

If you more overall variety; Maui is much more well rounded and developed for activities vs the rawness of North Shore (or even South Shore Kauai).

Our fav still is Kauai, but with kids 10 and 12 now....we're back to Westin Maui for sun and fun at the pool and beach.

Agreed with above; North Maui is 'commoner' compared to anywhere in Wailea. Sport 50k Hilton per night at the Grand Wailea if you want to go big on points.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 4:15 am
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
Originally Posted by frankhi
Most vacation places, and especially in Hawaii, have lots of kids when kids are out of schools, and, likewise, few kids when they are not.
True, but Australian school terms are the opposite of American ones, and after California we are the second biggest source of child visitors to Hawaii.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.