Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W Amsterdam, Netherlands [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bgriff
Notes about the W Amsterdam:

- The hotel is divided between two buildings. The Bank building is reported to be quieter and less of a scene. Each building has a Platinum breakfast offering and guests can try either regardless of which building your room is in; more details about breakfast are included in this post.

- Many people have reported limited upgrade availability.
Print Wikipost

W Amsterdam, Netherlands [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2015, 10:33 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Okto
Cat 6 according to spg.com
As i expected.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 3:44 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Makes the Sheraton Amsterdam Airport even more of a value as a category 4, with frequent, quick trains to Amsterdam proper.

Just not the immediacy of being downtown, nor the W "vibe" (for those who are into that) or the new property smell.

But also 10,000 Starpoints a night vs. 20,000/night.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 4:00 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat. WOH Glob. SQ Gold
Checked some prices for an upcoming December stay in AMS - basically 400 euro for a tiny entry level room (obv I'd likely get some upgrade) so quite pricey.

Only looks like one building is operating for the first few months at least.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 9:19 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, AC Elite, Airmiles Gold, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards
Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
As i expected.
Always like that -- Cat 5 LC leaves, Cat 6 W enters...
Old Apr 2, 2015, 11:08 am

Programs: CX Diamond, AA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum
Not allowing me to book with points for October dates on their web site.
At the complete your reservation screen it states that the system is temporarily unavailable.

I called SPG Platinum line and the agent booked it with a "temporary" rate and an override to points. I am being assured the reservation will switch to an award as the rack room rates are available. They noted the reservation. However, the web site still shows this as a paid stay rather than award stay, hope it fixes correctly within a few days.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 3:04 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
There is already very little Starwood present in The Netherlands. The Pulitzer was a nice touch and priced high, but still double able. To find out that the W will charge almost €400 very the smallest room is just sorry. I will never book that sort of room for that amount of money.

On a side note, there seems to also be opening an Elements in Amsteram at the beginning of 2016.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 3:18 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by kevinflyaway
There is already very little Starwood present in The Netherlands. The Pulitzer was a nice touch and priced high, but still double able. To find out that the W will charge almost €400 very the smallest room is just sorry. I will never book that sort of room for that amount of money.

On a side note, there seems to also be opening an Elements in Amsteram at the beginning of 2016.
As pointed out earlier, rates at the W should go down to the mid 200's in low season and stay in the high 200's to mid 300's for most of the time considering the size of the property.

Starting at 5 and going up one category one year later in case the rates and occupancy meet the expectations would have been fair, like at the Andaz Amsterdam.

Staying at the well-managed Sheraton AMS or the beautiful Des Indes is certainly always an option, public transport is brilliant in the Randstad.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 9:59 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by FD1971
As pointed out earlier, rates at the W should go down to the mid 200's in low season and stay in the high 200's to mid 300's for most of the time considering the size of the property.

Starting at 5 and going up one category one year later in case the rates and occupancy meet the expectations would have been fair, like at the Andaz Amsterdam.

Staying at the well-managed Sheraton AMS or the beautiful Des Indes is certainly always an option, public transport is brilliant in the Randstad.
I'm from Rotterdam, so I know the public transport is good . I always plan a weekend Amsterdam once or twice a year and then stay in Amsterdam. I searched for a room on 4 different times in 2015 and even 2016. So far all it shows now are the high prices. I'll wait and see then...

Your right about Des Indes though. I always do that also once a year. Always a good choice!
Old May 11, 2015, 2:34 pm
BCH

Does it have a minimum stay requirement? If I try to book a 2-night stay in December, it shows up as unavailable. But if I try for 3 nights (including my same original 2 nights) then it shows up with some rates. Hmmm.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 9:41 am

I have a booking 2nd week in October. Opening date is supposed to be September 21. Their calendar shows availability only starting in November. I hope the opening is on schedule - anyone heard?
Old Sep 3, 2015, 2:42 pm

Programs: HHonorsGold, MarriottPlat, BAEC Gold, FlyingBlue Silver
Dutch media is reporting that the opening is delayed until 'later in the year', due to some unforeseen circumstances with the construction work. They're not quoting a new date and interestingly their own website still quotes 21 September......so, must be hot off the press.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 7:42 pm

So. I have a big trip planned to Europe for my 10 year anniversary departing in a week. I planned our destinations in large part based on where we could use starpoints as I had saved up about 150,000 points for several years for this trip.

Anyway, I booked at the new W Amsterdam for 4 nights (apparently it was not permitted to stay only 3 nights). I got a call this evening that the hotel won't be ready in time, and offering to rebook me (on my points) at the Sheraton at the Amsterdam airport. I'm extremely upset about this as the Amsterdam airport Sheraton is really in no way comparable to the W in town, and there is seriously no way in heck that I would have chosen Amsterdam as a destination if my only option was to stay at an airport hotel 16 miles out of town. I'm pretty upset because I haven't gotten to take a trip like this for 8 years and now my only option is to stay in this airport Sheraton or book at some other hotel. Anything comparable is either sold out or $1000/night. I was offered 20,000 points as a consolation prize, but it doesn't change that I did not budget another $3000 for hotel rooms which apparently I need to do now in order to take this trip.

Is this normal treatment? I feel like all stops should be pulled out to find a comparable hotel in the city that can accommodate us, but so far all I've been told is that I should find some hotels I'm interested in and they will "try" to see if they can get me a better rate. With advertised rates at $1000/night, I'm not too hopeful. I am really stressed about this.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 12:22 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
As noted by a guest with a pending reservation here, the hotel is not opening as planned on 21 Sep - Starwodood website is now stating 9 Oct.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 1:19 am

Yes, I saw it at the SPG site - October 9

I have a reservation just days after October 9 - so far no notice from them anticipating any issue.

Thanks
Old Sep 14, 2015, 4:12 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by litigatrix
So. I have a big trip planned to Europe for my 10 year anniversary departing in a week. I planned our destinations in large part based on where we could use starpoints as I had saved up about 150,000 points for several years for this trip.

Anyway, I booked at the new W Amsterdam for 4 nights (apparently it was not permitted to stay only 3 nights). I got a call this evening that the hotel won't be ready in time, and offering to rebook me (on my points) at the Sheraton at the Amsterdam airport. I'm extremely upset about this as the Amsterdam airport Sheraton is really in no way comparable to the W in town, and there is seriously no way in heck that I would have chosen Amsterdam as a destination if my only option was to stay at an airport hotel 16 miles out of town. I'm pretty upset because I haven't gotten to take a trip like this for 8 years and now my only option is to stay in this airport Sheraton or book at some other hotel. Anything comparable is either sold out or $1000/night. I was offered 20,000 points as a consolation prize, but it doesn't change that I did not budget another $3000 for hotel rooms which apparently I need to do now in order to take this trip.

Is this normal treatment? I feel like all stops should be pulled out to find a comparable hotel in the city that can accommodate us, but so far all I've been told is that I should find some hotels I'm interested in and they will "try" to see if they can get me a better rate. With advertised rates at $1000/night, I'm not too hopeful. I am really stressed about this.
Sorry your best laid plans are getting sidetracked. As an aside, there are plenty of stories about new hotels frequently have delays opening. So I would never plan an important stay at a new hotel close to opening. That is little consolation but it is lesson learned. W Amsterdam is now showing as opening October 9.

At this point, your options for SPG in Amsterdam is poor with Airport Sheraton, since Pulitzer left. The only other nice hotel in the Netherlands is Hotel Des Indes in The Hague, not quite the metropolitan Amsterdam. You can either chose to stay in Amsterdam and find another hotel, or else go to Plan B and head somewhere else in Europe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.