Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2015, 2:02 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Flying Blue (KLM) Platinum, Oneworld (BA) Sapphire, *A (Aegean) Gold, IHG Spire RA,
Had a stay at the property last week. Just everything was super!!! i love it! the trendy design and all. and you even get all the ingredients in the room to make your own cocktail! Perfect service too. great food and the pool is amazing. The old building next to it (old embassy) opens soon with more bars and restaurants. (part of the hotel).

check my photos and some more review here (can't get any photo's here?)

more photo and review here
Old Apr 25, 2015, 12:03 pm

Programs: SPG platinum ; HHonorsGold ; Marriott Platinum,IHG Club
Post W Bangkok Update >2 STAYs Mid April 2015

W Bangkok
For Platinum guest
-Welcome amenities for 500 points or buffet breakfast or Local gift(plastic shopping bag)
-A complimentary drink voucher 2 coupons per stay(at least)
-Late check out until 4 pm almost offered as request
-In generally upgraded rooom ->Up to studio suite
-In fact book W room-->upgraded only to be Spectacular room/or Corner room
Once use to apply SNA -->upgrade to Marvelous Suite(High floor/More Luxury ,84 mxm)
-Make a green choice participation : 250 points per nights(ASIA) ; Can make a request on spg.com via your booking(checkbox) and confirm on arrival (check-in process) ; no required hanging leaflet on the door.

Pros ::-:
-Warm welcome with front desk staff
-Good location and preference for business area in BKK
-A Gift on turn down time every 3 days such as White wine or a box of cookies or a bottle of candy etc.
-Good breakfast in variety of foods,pastries and drinks eg. iced chocolate,iced coffee latte etc.

Cons :
-Inconsistency and understandard for restaurant staff(Kitchen)
eg.
1)Some staffs can not distinguish between a glass of iced chocolate and chocolate milk on the breakfast buffet,when you'll order may be need a time for explaination and waiting.For my experience need a times for change a glass of chocolate milk to iced chocolate more than 3 times in a once ordering.
2)Some guests can order take away for a-cup of coffee but somebody can not order,Due to the policy of Hotel restaurant are unclearly and unfair.When you'll try to order a takeaway cup of coffee ,some staffs may deny your order, However at the same time you can see another guests drink a takeaway cup of coffee nearby you,next to your table.What is the same applicable policy? or Double-standard ?@:

Last edited by Chaiwattpin; Apr 25, 2015 at 12:21 pm
Old Jun 7, 2015, 7:20 am

Does anyone know if there is a door that separates the living from bedroom in the Marvelous Suite? I know there is none in the Fantastic Suite.

Is Marvelous Suite one of the upgrade options for SNA?
Old Jun 7, 2015, 7:30 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: SPG Plat
Originally Posted by broadwayboy
Does anyone know if there is a door that separates the living from bedroom in the Marvelous Suite? I know there is none in the Fantastic Suite.

Is Marvelous Suite one of the upgrade options for SNA?
Last I checked, yes. You can make a dummy booking (flex refundable rate) to make sure.

Marvelous suites are just Fantastic suites on the high floors. Was in one last week, no dividing door. Also, everything is see through.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by ignorantcow
Marvelous suites are just Fantastic suites on the high floors. Was in one last week, no dividing door. Also, everything is see through.
Yes. I haven't stayed since my last visit, but looking at my pics there isn't a dividing door
Old Jun 7, 2015, 10:35 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
I stayed in a Marvelous Suite in March. The sliding door on the shower and toilet does not seal either. Definitely someone who designed the interiors were anti privacy. Fortunately there is a separate toilet. I scored my suite with a BRG (3300++) and SNA. I liked it a lot and wife was very happy. Whilst the location isn't my favourite I have enjoyed my two stays there.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 11:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, Asiana Club Dmnd (*G), AA plat, Alitalia FA, SPG Plat, Accor Plat, HGP Dmnd, HH Dmnd
Originally Posted by geminidreams
Whilst the location isn't my favourite I have enjoyed my two stays there.
100% agree with that - It's a nice hotel that treats plats well, and has generally good facilities.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 8:36 pm

Programs: TG Gold, MPC Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador
Correct that neither the fantastic or marvelous suites have connecting doors but they are not the same format simply on different floors.

The fantastic suite seems to be a combination of a cool corner room and what would be the room next to that. It is on the curve at the end of the building. Personally I didn't like this suite as the space is not well utilized and makes it feel somewhat empty. Also, it only has one toilet which, although behind frosted glass, is quite visible from the bedroom.

The marvelous suite seems to be the size of two wonderful rooms knocked together ie it is rectangular and runs the side of the building. The decorations are nice and it has a second toilet behind a solid door off of the living room / entrance.

I tried the fantastic suite once and really didn't like it so my recommendation would be the marvelous suite for more toilet privacy and a better use of space.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 9:03 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: SPG Plat
Originally Posted by newshound
Correct that neither the fantastic or marvelous suites have connecting doors but they are not the same format simply on different floors.

The fantastic suite seems to be a combination of a cool corner room and what would be the room next to that. It is on the curve at the end of the building. Personally I didn't like this suite as the space is not well utilized and makes it feel somewhat empty. Also, it only has one toilet which, although behind frosted glass, is quite visible from the bedroom.

The marvelous suite seems to be the size of two wonderful rooms knocked together ie it is rectangular and runs the side of the building. The decorations are nice and it has a second toilet behind a solid door off of the living room / entrance.

I tried the fantastic suite once and really didn't like it so my recommendation would be the marvelous suite for more toilet privacy and a better use of space.
I think you were in the studio suite.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 7:37 pm

No, my observations definitely refer to the fantastic and marvelous suites. I have stayed in a studio suite and am well aware of the differences.

I stay at the property a couple of times a month so I have a pretty good handle on the room types
Old Jun 8, 2015, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by ignorantcow
I think you were in the studio suite.
Originally Posted by newshound
No, my observations definitely refer to the fantastic and marvelous suites. I have stayed in a studio suite and am well aware of the differences.

Here's the hotel webpage with nice pics of the various rooms. The colour scheme of the Fantastic Suite does look similar to the Studio Suite but it is definitely different.

Since you've stayed in both, would you care to comment on the differences? I see that the size is the same (84m2) so presumably the rooms are on different ends of the building?

I stayed in an SS and liked that the room felt spacious and the bathroom area was behind a solid wall.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 4:43 am

As per my previous comment the Marvelous suite is along the side of the building so you have the space of 2 regular rooms joined together whereas the fantastic suite is at the end of the building on the curve so it is like a cool corner room and a studio suite sized space.

Both suites have a living room and a bedroom. The fantastic suite having a larger version of the white L-shaped corner sofa that you get in the studio suite but with very little else in the room it feels quite empty.

The Marvelous suite is much more of a traditional layout with a regular style dark color sofa and a second toilet off of the living room.

The bathrooms adjoin the bedrooms in both cases but in the case of the Marvelous suite the toilet and shower are tucked around the corner out of view from the bed... you actually look at a free standing bath tub from the bed. In the Fantastic suite the toilet is just behind some frosted glass in plain view of the bed with the shower in the corner.

For me the lack of privacy to the toilet and the empty feeling in the living room have put me off of the Fantastic suite and I would personally prefer a Studio Suite over it. When applying SNA's I will opt for a Marvelous suite only and if I don't get that I have a reasonable success rate at getting a studio suite anyway.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
I stayed here in March and had an amazing experience. I'm SPG Gold and paid for a Studio Suite using a B2G1 free promo which made it only about $30 or so a night more than the standard room.

I check in on a Friday night and found that I got upgraded to a Marvelous Suite with a complementary bottle of wine waiting in the room. Not bad for a low-level SPG elite like myself!

Kinda off topic but I've found most hotel rooms in BKK are either blazing hot or ice cold, nothing in between. I've stayed ~30 nights at the BKK aloft in the last two years and still can't figure the aircon out.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by civicmon
Kinda off topic but I've found most hotel rooms in BKK are either blazing hot or ice cold, nothing in between. I've stayed ~30 nights at the BKK aloft in the last two years and still can't figure the aircon out.
Have you thought about asking the FD for assistance? Just a thought....
Old Nov 28, 2015, 3:23 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Had a three-night stay here earlier this week. Used SNA on very cheap BRG (THB3300) -- can't argue with the value -- full breakfast in lieu of 500 points, a couple drink chits, large suite (the best in BKK for my needs).

Had a bit of a hiccup at arrival -- was given a smoking suite, even though my original reservation was for a nonsmoking room, and I only selected nonsmoking SNA rooms (there are six options total, Fab Suite (s/ns), Marv Suite (s/ns), and Studio Suite (s/ns) -- I selected Fab and Marv ns only). Called the front desk, and they told me, sorry, no other suites available, we can downgrade you to a nonsmoking room. A bit of (non-confrontational) back-and-forth, and they ultimately found me a nonsmoking suite and were very apologetic and sent some food/drinks.

The drink selection at the bar is quite good, the drinks are well crafted, the scene is nice. I only wish they didn't just hand over 1 drink chit per person per stay (we ended up with a lot more due to the suite issues); I think 2 per night as standard for Plats would make this my #1 SPG hotel in Bangkok.

Breakfast is excellent, with a huge spread and good quality, but I can see how it wouldn't be everybody's favorite. I just spent 4 months in Asian Hyatts and Starwoods, and I'd say this is in my top-5 breakfasts (better than most LC and SR properties).

Overall, thumbs up from me (once again) for this hotel that doesn't get much love from FT's Starwood BKK regulars. Only stay here with SNA, be aware of the somewhat less-than-ideal location and the stingy drinks policy, don't overpay ... on a cheap BRG it's amazing value.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.