Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Four Points Brisbane, Australia, opened March 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Four Points Brisbane, Australia, opened March 2014

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2014, 2:12 am

Programs: AAdvantage, QFF, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Parking $35-$45 per day.
Delightful.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 7:39 am
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
The reception area is tiny and has delusions that it is a W hotel, and leads to the extremely slow elevators.

The restaurant was good.

The room was nice but quite small, and with clean but spartan furnishings like a Rydges or a good Ibis. The bathroom was cramped.

It's not meant to be a St Regis or Sheraton or Westin and it is far from the same class as the Sydney Four Points. It is a very good 3 star or somewhat below average 4 star property, and the opening rate of $134 was very good value for what is probably worth around $200 on a weekday and $140 on a weekend.

Price will always be the determining factor in this market niche.

Last edited by DCF; Jun 14, 2014 at 3:15 am
Old Apr 12, 2014, 11:41 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, QFF, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by DCF
The reception area is tiny
the extremely slow elevators.
The room was nice but quite small
The bathroom was cramped.
Sigh, I was so hoping for a decent Starwood property in Brisbane, but a 3 or marginal 4 star doesn't cut it.
I was actually planning stay at this property next month but there are plenty of better options in town.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 5:29 am
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
Originally Posted by wallaby
Sigh, I was so hoping for a decent Starwood property in Brisbane, but a 3 or marginal 4 star doesn't cut it.
I was actually planning stay at this property next month but there are plenty of better options in town.
It is consistent with Four Points brand expectations in the USA, just far below the Sydney Four Points which would be one of the very best Sheratons or Westins if it was in the USA.

As I wrote earlier, the Four Points Brisbane is a very solid 3 star hotel or a poor 4 star one.

The decider for a hotel of average quality like this is always going to be cost. If you can get it for $200 on a weekday or $140 on a weekend, it is a good deal and you should take it.

But any price higher than $230 on a weekday or $160 on a weekend is basically excessive for a hotel of this quality in this market and is not worth paying. At those price points you can get a room at far higher quality hotels like the Sofitel (former Sheraton), Hilton, Conrad and Stamford Plaza and there would be no sensible reason to prefer the Four Points to any of those: it would be like choosing a Mazda car instead of a Mercedes for the same price.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 8:19 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Can anyone share Gold or Platinum SPG recognition at this hotel? I'd debating whether to redeem SNAs here. Thanks.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
My short review of Brisbane Four Points

Just spent 5 nights at this hotel. As a platinum, I booked a low-floor city view room and was upgraded to a high-floor, river view room. Also received choice of bonus points or breakfast, so naturally took the breakfast option. I tried to upgrade my room with Suite Night Awards but that request was not fulfilled, despite at least one suite still available for sale.

Check-in was quick but without any smile or pleasantries. This was indicative of my overall experiences with staff: several were very friendly, smiled, and helpful while others seemed to lack basic customer service skills. Likely a cultural difference among staff. No problems with elevators.

Room is of sufficient size (I was expecting something smaller) and bathroom was also just fine. Since it is a new hotel, everything was clean and in working order. Like all Four Points, the basic toiletries are of very low quality. Walk-in shower had immediate water temperature capability and good flow.

Nice that both instant and hand press coffee are offered in the room for free, and that slippers are provided (interestingly, hand press coffee and slippers aren't provided at the Sheraton in Sydney!). There is also a mini bar, iron and ironing board in the room, and ample space to hang garments. Work desk is rather small, as is the upholstered chair with ottoman. Being in a corner room, there is one large floor-to-ceiling window with an automatic curtain, plus two smaller windows in the room with manual shades. (Since there are only 9 rooms on each floor, nearly half of the rooms are in corners).

Construction noise was noticeable, especially the first night, and it began at 7am. We also had a fire alarm the first night at midnight, but fortunately the fire squad arrived very quickly and we happened to run into a fireman after walking down only 5 flights of stairs, who told us it was a false alarm.

Breakfast was of average quality (better than Four Points in US though) with a decent selection of hot (scrambled eggs, sausage/bacon, potatoes, toast, etc.) and cold items (fruit, cereal, "factory" pastries, etc.). Beware though, they close at 10am on weekdays despite the elevators indicating it's open to 10:30 every day. On one day, they started removing items at 9:40.

Overall, I'd stay here again if the price was reasonable (<AUD 200/night). I'd rate it as a sold 3.5-star hotel and comes close to 4 stars.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
Just spent 5 nights at this hotel. As a platinum, I booked a low-floor city view room and was upgraded to a high-floor, river view room. Also received choice of bonus points or breakfast, so naturally took the breakfast option. I tried to upgrade my room with Suite Night Awards but that request was not fulfilled, despite at least one suite still available for sale.

Check-in was quick but without any smile or pleasantries. This was indicative of my overall experiences with staff: several were very friendly, smiled, and helpful while others seemed to lack basic customer service skills. Likely a cultural difference among staff. No problems with elevators.

Room is of sufficient size (I was expecting something smaller) and bathroom was also just fine. Since it is a new hotel, everything was clean and in working order. Like all Four Points, the basic toiletries are of very low quality. Walk-in shower had immediate water temperature capability and good flow.

Nice that both instant and hand press coffee are offered in the room for free, and that slippers are provided (interestingly, hand press coffee and slippers aren't provided at the Sheraton in Sydney!). There is also a mini bar, iron and ironing board in the room, and ample space to hang garments. Work desk is rather small, as is the upholstered chair with ottoman. Being in a corner room, there is one large floor-to-ceiling window with an automatic curtain, plus two smaller windows in the room with manual shades. (Since there are only 9 rooms on each floor, nearly half of the rooms are in corners).

Construction noise was noticeable, especially the first night, and it began at 7am. We also had a fire alarm the first night at midnight, but fortunately the fire squad arrived very quickly and we happened to run into a fireman after walking down only 5 flights of stairs, who told us it was a false alarm.

Breakfast was of average quality (better than Four Points in US though) with a decent selection of hot (scrambled eggs, sausage/bacon, potatoes, toast, etc.) and cold items (fruit, cereal, "factory" pastries, etc.). Beware though, they close at 10am on weekdays despite the elevators indicating it's open to 10:30 every day. On one day, they started removing items at 9:40.

Overall, I'd stay here again if the price was reasonable (<AUD 200/night). I'd rate it as a sold 3.5-star hotel and comes close to 4 stars.
- Stayed as PLT for 1 night during the first week of Aug. 2014. Very similar experience. Booked low floor city view -> upgraded to high floor river view.
My rate included breakfast so I was given 250 point amenity. Was asked about and granted 4 pm checkout at the time of check-in.
No other additional PLT recognition.
My only problem was that the internet was very slow to the point that I have failed to upload a medium sized file after several tries.
After 1 night at Four Points I have moved to Hilton that I have found to be better as a Diamond (breakfast, lounge, faster internet, special manager reception...).
Old Aug 23, 2014, 8:19 am

Programs: Qantas
Can anyone confirm if the room sizes are standard (or if you get higher the floors the rooms get bigger)
Old Oct 4, 2014, 7:01 pm

Programs: AOPA
Originally Posted by user29
Can anyone confirm if the room sizes are standard (or if you get higher the floors the rooms get bigger)
They are smaller than most hotels. We had 1 night in two different rooms. one was on 12 and the other one was on 25, they are all the same size.

The building setup reminded me of some holiday inn or the wingate in NYC. they have small foot print only 5-9 room per floor.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by user29
I think the rooms are about 27 square meters on average. I stayed in a corner room and it was O.K. - not claustrophobic.
Here is the link to another discussion about this building including actual floor plans (if you can read them). Floor plans for 4-16 floors appear to be the same:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...=245400&page=8
Old Oct 4, 2014, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by DCF
It is consistent with Four Points brand expectations in the USA, just far below the Sydney Four Points which would be one of the very best Sheratons or Westins if it was in the USA.
Umm, no, not by a long shot. The SYD 4P doesn't match the standards of a decent U.S. suburban Westin, let alone among the best. If the BNE 4P is well below that...

I've seen some recent purpose-built 4Ps. Even when they have spent some money in public areas one is quickly reminded of budget aspirations when entering the room, with cheap furniture, lighting, and bath fixtures. Depending on how weights his priorities, the brand standard seems to be 3-* or 2+*.

If Starwood wants a Westin (and Westin price levels) in Brisbane it will build a Westin.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 10:12 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Umm, no, not by a long shot. The SYD 4P doesn't match the standards of a decent U.S. suburban Westin, let alone among the best. If the BNE 4P is well below that...

I've seen some recent purpose-built 4Ps. Even when they have spent some money in public areas one is quickly reminded of budget aspirations when entering the room, with cheap furniture, lighting, and bath fixtures. Depending on how weights his priorities, the brand standard seems to be 3-* or 2+*.

If Starwood wants a Westin (and Westin price levels) in Brisbane it will build a Westin.
I have stayed in 3 Westins and I would say the 4P Darling Harbour would compare favourably, understanding there is no lounge at the 4P as being the main differentiating aspect. 4P Sheik Zayed in Dubai is another very good quality 4P that is a good 4 star.

I was hoping that Starwood would have a better presence in Brisbane. This hotel seems high priced for the standard of room delivered. Not much incentive to pop to Brisbane for a weekend to stay there. Not sure the W being built will attract me either.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 10:51 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
There were plans for a Westin BNE. Not anymore. You can google the *wood press releases.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 11:28 am
azj

Anybody experience this property recently? The rates available include breakfast... just wondering if the breakfast is worth it? Or if we're better off finding brekky somewhere else. I'm familiar with the city but always stay at the Traders near Roma Street. There are some cheaper options in the city, but alas, I'm on my own dime this time and am a slave to SPG in a quest to rebuild my status.

And FWIW, to quell the disappointment of those in this thread that there is no Westin and only a FP, it appears a W is being built in Brissy!

Last edited by azj; Mar 2, 2015 at 11:43 am
Old May 14, 2015, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by azj
Anybody experience this property recently? The rates available include breakfast... just wondering if the breakfast is worth it? Or if we're better off finding brekky somewhere else.
The breakfast is trash. I will be back next week so I'll re-assess the breakfast, but generally it's very low quality.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.