Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W Guangzhou, China, Now Open [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 28, 2015, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
Print Wikipost

W Guangzhou, China, Now Open [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2013, 7:49 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by brosnan6
Quality of staff is very good. Everybody is extremely friendly and willing to help, although language barriers are very much present. I don't want to jump to any conclusions since this is my first time in China, but I'd have thought a new hotel of this caliber in such a modern city would ensure highly proficient multi-lingual employees. But many employees only have a very basic English proficiency. We just came from Hong Kong where all the hotel employees seemed to have a much better grasp of English. Very minor nit and maybe I'm just not clued into how much major Chinese cities still have to go in terms of picking up English

Overall, an excellent hotel and I'd highly recommend it.
I guess it also depends where the staff member is from. English is an official language in Hong Kong.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 1:54 pm

The Ultimate Platinum Recognition

We recently stayed at this property in Guangzhou and wanted to comment about our experience that we called "The Ultimate Platinum Recognition". A number of times when flying across the pond, we have been on flights where on the passengers gets sick, causing the plane to make an emergency landing and the airline does a good job of these passengers. But what happens when guests get sick in a hotel?-Well we found out shortly after arriving at the W in Guangzhou when my wife and I both got sick. Lucky that our suite had two bathrooms, as my wife made a mess in one of the bathrooms, and I also made a mess in the hall on the way to our room. The hotel management team heard that we were sick and three of the top executives paid us a visit in our room, trying to establish if we needed medical care and offering to take us to a nearby hospital emergency department (ED). The Assistant Manager said that she would go with us, stay with us while we were in the ED, and be sure that we were treated quickly and appropriately. They had some papers that they asked us to sign as we refused their suggestions and decided to tough it out in our room which turned out, for a couple of days. Needless to say, we were asked every day about how we were doing by the management team including the hotel manager, and other managers in the dining room and at the front door also inquired if we were better and if they could do anything. Although we were not home, we realized that this management team assured us that we would be given the highest level of care if we needed it.

Sure, we were recognized as Platinum and received many other benefits for our status including an invitation to the Manager's cocktail party in the Club, but the concern for us exceeded our expectations. We hope to go back and see some of the sights that we were not able to see because of our illnesses, and again thank the Hotel Manager and his team. On leaving the hotel for the train station, the hotel sent one of the front door people to the train station so that our trip back to Hong Kong and their W was uneventful.

This is a superb hotel with a young and enthusiastic staff. Starwood sends some of their most experienced staff to lead when a new hotel is opening, and this group told us of the hotels that they had opened over the last few years. We concluded that this management group must be one of Starwood's best.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 11:41 am

Got the W Guangzhou Instant Starpoint Awards Menu.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 11:48 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AC 25k
W Guangzhou is a pretty good hotel under W brand, I stayed 1 night in March 2015 and found everything was excellent with 1 exception: the Elevator has LED screen built in the wall that had a creepy eye balls blinks...
Old Oct 8, 2015, 10:17 pm

Went to W Guangzhou's Inagiku for lunch during their restaurant week (¥128 lunch and ¥256 dinner and another ¥15/person for tea). We arrived 10 minuetes early (reserved the earliest spot at 1130) and their Japanese restaurant is still preparing with air conditioning off, so it was somewhat hot and humid inside even after we're seated for sometime. The meal was also nothing spectacular, but at least with good and fresh ingredients. Overall a pretty average place to grab a meal.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 8:20 pm

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
I stayed here last week with my family. I had high expectations based on the previous reviews from fellow Flyertalkers. So I let the hotel know in advance that we were coming for my girls first birthday for a getaway.

So we booked a Wonderful room and two days before it was upgraded to a Fabulous room. On the day of we arrived quite early and upon check in was upgraded to corner Fantastic Suite. We had to wait about 45 minutes because the room was being cleaned up. The suite was absolutely stunning as mentioned by the previous poster.

The hotel really went out of their way and prepared a beautiful dessert platter that included a small popcorn machine for my daughter. It was a really thoughtful gift.

The lounge staff were amazingly attentive and friendly. The happy hour in the lounge was not huge but had an adequate selection of food and snacks. The lounge wasn't extremely busy and had at most 5 sets of people at any given time. The buffet breakfast was on the second floor and that is hands down one of the best SPG property breakfasts. Just the selection in freshly squeezed juices is enough to keep you busy for a minute. They have full western, chinese and east asian fare. A huge selection of fresh baked goods.

I would have to say that this hotel has moved into my top five favourite Starwood hotels. From everything to location, staff, design, upgrades and facilities. Its hands down the best Starwood in Guangzhou and for sure one of the top hotels in the city.

What a fantastic experience.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 9:12 am

I stayed here Friday night as a Gold member on 1140 CNY prepaid rate booked the day before. Arrived around midnight and upgraded to what I believe was a Fabulous room on the 26th room with lounge access and was offered 4pm checkout. No breakfast in the lounge and not much around 3pm either when I stopped by although I can't complain as lounge access is not a typical benefit for SPG Golds. Unclear if this was a typical upgrade for Golds or a one-off given my short stay. Room was stylish as expected from a W. Welcome amenity was macaroons connected with chocolate to look like headphones on a record disk platter.

The Woobar and Japanese restaurant were both very stylish and had decent cocktails/food respectively. The Cantonese restaurant was excellent although pricey (128++ for BBQ pork with some discount for SPG members).

Location is good in the same general area as the Ritz-Carlton, Four Seasons, Park Hyatt, Grand Hyatt, etc. although I think the W's location is slightly worse as farther from the river and pedestrian plaza. Overall, I was satisfied with my stay and would consider returning especially if Gold benefits were harmonized between Marriott and SPG.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 6:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
It's a shame you got lounge access but weren't there for the evening happy hour. This is the major benefit of the lounge (a rarity in a W anyway). The happy hour has plenty of booze and a nice array of nibbles. Not really a meal but it could be at a stretch.

Unlike most Ws that couldn't care less about SPG status, I like this hotel and at the rate as a Platinum it offers good value because of the lounge. I got a huge suite when I stayed last time. I was going to stay last Saturday for - you know - fun but by the time I eventually got around to booking the basic rate had shot up so I postponed.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 4:56 pm

Programs: Altitude 75K, LT Marriott Platinum
I'm looking forward to my stay based on the above reviews. While I'm there the second week of February, I was wondering if there are any future guests, who would like to split the costs of a private English guided tours of Guangzhou?
Old Oct 25, 2017, 10:37 am

There isnt a whole lot to see in Guangzhou. Its not like other iconic global cities. Its a city that went from a few million to over ten million in ten years. Literally slapped together. Behind all the new high rises are old style Chinese buildings. I really wonder where a guide would bring you?
Old Oct 25, 2017, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by tfong007
There isnt a whole lot to see in Guangzhou. Its not like other iconic global cities. Its a city that went from a few million to over ten million in ten years. Literally slapped together. Behind all the new high rises are old style Chinese buildings. I really wonder where a guide would bring you?
Shamian Island. Canton Tower. Ikea. Dinner in Wilber's.

Actually, I quite like Guangzhou and a night in the W is a nice cost-effective escape. I'm sending my sisters there for the day when they come visit in November.

But then I live in Shenzhen which would make anywhere look like a cultural and historic honeypot.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 7:14 pm

When you know about the Ikea you truly know Guangzhou. Best place for anyone looking for a nap in a nice cool air conditioned environment. Only problem is you never know who will be sleeping next to you.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 9:42 am

Programs: Altitude 75K, LT Marriott Platinum
LOL..thanks for the advice guys. I will definitely come up with options and attempt to receive your thoughts and comments?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:25 am

Has anyone stayed here recently? What is the PPE recognition like post merger? Free breakfast at lounge only? Upgrades?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 5:32 am

I stayed there a few months ago as PPE. There was a report on Tripadvisor that they'd downgraded Platinum recognition after last August but I found it the same as before and excellent as usual. The lounge doesn't serve breakfast. It's provided in the main buffet restaurant. Cannot remember whether it's points or breakfast at check in but the buffet is excellent as you'd expect from a W.

The lounge has a small buffet of canapés and two hours of alcohol in the evening. The food could make a meal if you need it to but it's not intended to be your main meal of the day. The alcohol is includes wine and spirits.

I'm two out of three for upgrades to their suite which is large and luxurious.

It's my favourite Marriott hotel in Guangzhou and well worth the small extra cost compared to the Sheraton, Marriott etc. which are also good hotels with great lounges but the suites are not as luxurious as the W and they don't have the W's spa which is a nice place to hang out in.
oiboy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.