Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Dear Platinum Member, If you would like access to the club lounge it is 3000 points!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dear Platinum Member, If you would like access to the club lounge it is 3000 points!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2013, 7:21 pm

Programs: Various Programs of Interest & LT Collector.
Thanks for writing back.... This is a great example how having expectations of hotels honoring policy and people here pushing back when they don't makes positive change. While it might not totally fix it to all of our satisfactions it certainly did make an improvement.

Originally Posted by Chrislorl
I have to say we have not, but not because of this issue. The area was not as I remembered it, highly commercial, packed, and reminded me of International Drive in Orlando but with a better view.

The lounge manager took great care of us and I honestly felt bad for him after we sat and talked, but again it was the principal and I do believe he understood our point of view too. The hotel is over-run with kids and they swamp the lounge, this helped keep them out to some extent and per the terms agreement that is very cloudy (I am sure you would all agree) and open to wide interpretation he felt he had done the right thing. My #1 issue was really in the manor it was handled and how the message was delivered.

I will say that if anyone ever wonders it FT has power I have seen it first hand. The Lurkers are great, supportive, involved, and there is no way anyone could slide under the radar with the group here. Stay strong and keep them honest. In the long run we are the customers and have a choice, we have many choices.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA LPLT, SQ Gold, QF, BA, UA, AS NB, Bonvoy LPLT, HH Gold
Angry

I'm not sure anything is fixed at this hotel! 5 days out form my one night stay in October - not Jul or Aug:

We are looking forward to connecting with you here at the Sheraton on the Falls. Niagara Falls is an exciting place to be at this time of the year. We hope you and your family have wonderful visit here in Sheraton On The Falls.

We recognize your loyalty and value your Starwood status and as such wish to inform you ahead of time that the Sheraton Club Lounge will be at capacity due to the number of people that have pre-purchased these facilities, we will not be able to grant out Platinum Starwood Preferred Guest members Club access on Friday 3rd and Saturday 4th.Club Lounge will reopen at 11am after breakfast service on Sunday 5th.

In understanding of your valuable time in Niagara Falls, we strongly suggest you book a suitable room that you would be comfortable with, rather than upgrade upon arrival if availability permits.

In recognising your SPG Platinum status, the Front Desk will further upgrade you and one guest to the Fallsview Restaurant for complimentary full breakfast buffet on us for each day the lounge is at capacity. If you please charge breakfasts to your room folio, we will be happy to credit the amount of TWO adult breakfasts in lieu of the Continental service in the Club Lounge.

The website shows club rooms still available for sale - so clearly not at capacity (or alternatively there should be a disclaimer on those rooms for sale saying that you will not be able to access the club as it is already at capacity?) and therefore is an outright lie.

It get's worse because I have requested one of my suite night upgrades which I have also been told:

We haven't yet been able to confirm your Suite Night Award request for your upcoming reservation. We'll keep checking until 2 p.m. on the day before you arrive and let you know if the upgrade you requested becomes available. If no upgrades are available at that time, we'll credit your Award(s) back to your account.

And yet a quick search again shows both corner and bi-level suites available for booking. I'm pretty new to the Plat game but I had understood that if one was available 5 days out then it was your's?

Seriously this sucks as a plat member who rarely if ever needs the upgrades but on a rare holiday night with family would truly appreciate it. Way to alienate your most loyal customers SPG.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 7:10 pm

Programs: SPG Plat 100, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by paul4471
I'm not sure anything is fixed at this hotel! 5 days out form my one night stay in October - not Jul or Aug:

We are looking forward to connecting with you here at the Sheraton on the Falls. Niagara Falls is an exciting place to be at this time of the year. We hope you and your family have wonderful visit here in Sheraton On The Falls.

We recognize your loyalty and value your Starwood status and as such wish to inform you ahead of time that the Sheraton Club Lounge will be at capacity due to the number of people that have pre-purchased these facilities, we will not be able to grant out Platinum Starwood Preferred Guest members Club access on Friday 3rd and Saturday 4th.Club Lounge will reopen at 11am after breakfast service on Sunday 5th.

In understanding of your valuable time in Niagara Falls, we strongly suggest you book a suitable room that you would be comfortable with, rather than upgrade upon arrival if availability permits.

In recognising your SPG Platinum status, the Front Desk will further upgrade you and one guest to the Fallsview Restaurant for complimentary full breakfast buffet on us for each day the lounge is at capacity. If you please charge breakfasts to your room folio, we will be happy to credit the amount of TWO adult breakfasts in lieu of the Continental service in the Club Lounge.

The website shows club rooms still available for sale - so clearly not at capacity (or alternatively there should be a disclaimer on those rooms for sale saying that you will not be able to access the club as it is already at capacity?) and therefore is an outright lie.

It get's worse because I have requested one of my suite night upgrades which I have also been told:

We haven't yet been able to confirm your Suite Night Award request for your upcoming reservation. We'll keep checking until 2 p.m. on the day before you arrive and let you know if the upgrade you requested becomes available. If no upgrades are available at that time, we'll credit your Award(s) back to your account.

And yet a quick search again shows both corner and bi-level suites available for booking. I'm pretty new to the Plat game but I had understood that if one was available 5 days out then it was your's?

Seriously this sucks as a plat member who rarely if ever needs the upgrades but on a rare holiday night with family would truly appreciate it. Way to alienate your most loyal customers SPG.
I'm sure others on the forum will tell you this, but just because a suite is available online doesn't mean it is part of the "upgrade pool." Nor does the inventory online always reflect the actual # of available rooms / suites at the hotel.

TBH, sounds like they're being quite accommodating by offering free breakfast on the days that the lounge is not available. At most, you're missing out on evening appetizers & drinks.

Also, though there are club rooms up for sale, what was stated in the letter was: "people that have pre-purchased these facilities." To me, that doesn't necessarily mean these guests are in a club room. So the lounge could very well be at capacity.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by missxmelon

Also, though there are club rooms up for sale, what was stated in the letter was: "people that have pre-purchased these facilities." To me, that doesn't necessarily mean these guests are in a club room. So the lounge could very well be at capacity.
In which case those club rooms that are for sale would not come with club lounge access as the lounge is already at capacity. Are you suggesting that it is reasonable to sell Club Rooms when no Club Lounge access is available because the hotel has already sold the amenity to its capacity to non-Club Room guests?
Old Sep 29, 2014, 9:00 pm

Programs: SPG,HH,IHG
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
In which case those club rooms that are for sale would not come with club lounge access as the lounge is already at capacity. Are you suggesting that it is reasonable to sell Club Rooms when no Club Lounge access is available because the hotel has already sold the amenity to its capacity to non-Club Room guests?
Yes,very curious and if i book 1 more club room at that day.
What is the compensation from hotel as they said full capacity ?
Old Sep 29, 2014, 9:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Perhaps the number of SPG Plats with reservations for the day in question exceeds the number of club rooms (or rooms with lounge access) in their inventory currently.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 10:16 pm

When did I suggest that?

I was simply giving the OP a reason as to why club rooms might still be available, despite the club lounge being at capacity.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 6:33 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
When did I suggest that?

I was simply giving the OP a reason as to why club rooms might still be available, despite the club lounge being at capacity.
I bet that if someone paid a higher rate for a club room with club lounge access included in the room description but was told by the hotel that the lounge was too full to give access for their room. that person would make a major fuss about the situation. Indeed, I've complained about cases where the hotel is selling more expensive club level rooms (with descriptions including lounge access) but the lounge is closed for the weekend.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 8:37 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
FWIW I've been following this thread in the Hilton Forum, in which a Hilton Diamond got walked at an Oklahoma Embassy Suites, and another Diamond FTer experienced the same.

They got attention and reaction when they wrote negative reviews here and here on Trip Advisor, including not only the manager's humble responses but a rash of hilariously glowing reviews written suspiciously by first-time reviewers, with compliments ranging from listing the full names of a half dozen or so employees being praised, to the "excellent elevators", to the room thermostat "where you were able to set the temp yourself."

I'm sadly no longer a Plat, but I would be incensed as one to be denied lounge access - or to be demanded points baksheesh for access - in a property apparently setting its own rules, and I would definitely write a TA review of Sheraton on The Falls pointing this out. Just a thought...

Last edited by Fredd; Sep 30, 2014 at 8:52 am
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:24 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
While I am unsure how/why this hotel is able to skirt or reinvent standard SPG policies, I would gladly take a free full buffet breakfast then go to the lounge for a selection of stale pastry, cold cereal, unripe or rotting fruit, and warm juice.

The compromise is fair and reasonable for breakfast - however, lounge access should still be provided outside of food service hours and there needs to be another compromise for evening snacks - perhaps a free drink (or unlimited free non-alcoholic) plus a special appetizer platter served in the guestroom or at the lobby bar - or at the very least, open one of the meeting rooms as a private lounge for the exclusive use of Platinum guests with the normal evening lounge food and drink service.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I bet that if someone paid a higher rate for a club room with club lounge access included in the room description but was told by the hotel that the lounge was too full to give access for their room. that person would make a major fuss about the situation. Indeed, I've complained about cases where the hotel is selling more expensive club level rooms (with descriptions including lounge access) but the lounge is closed for the weekend.
I definitely don't deny that.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
While I am unsure how/why this hotel is able to skirt or reinvent standard SPG policies, I would gladly take a free full buffet breakfast then go to the lounge for a selection of stale pastry, cold cereal, unripe or rotting fruit, and warm juice.

The compromise is fair and reasonable for breakfast - however, lounge access should still be provided outside of food service hours and there needs to be another compromise for evening snacks - perhaps a free drink (or unlimited free non-alcoholic) plus a special appetizer platter served in the guestroom or at the lobby bar - or at the very least, open one of the meeting rooms as a private lounge for the exclusive use of Platinum guests with the normal evening lounge food and drink service.
Good point - I think this would be a good compromise.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 3:31 pm

When did I suggest that?

You said that the lounge could very well be at capacity. You acknowledged that club rooms are for sale. Its not an unreasonable inference to take that this means the property is selling Club rooms despite notifying guests that there is no room to accommodate guests in the Lounge. Your post seemed to suggest that the hotel was acting reasonably/being generous by providing breakfast in the restaurant which is basically the same as a Platinum Welcome Amenity offered by a large number of SPG hotels with no lounge. So in reality you are probably only going to be 500pts (the alternate amenity) better off in exchange for lack of lounge access for 2 days. Is that reasonable compensation?
Sorry if you feel that comment on your opinion warrants

Last edited by 3544quebec; Sep 30, 2014 at 3:37 pm
Old Sep 30, 2014, 4:44 pm

You said that the lounge could very well be at capacity. You acknowledged that club rooms are for sale.
Sure did.

Its not an unreasonable inference to take that this means the property is selling Club rooms despite notifying guests that there is no room to accommodate guests in the Lounge.
Never said that was an unreasonable inference.

Your post seemed to suggest that the hotel was acting reasonably/being generous by providing breakfast in the restaurant which is basically the same as a Platinum Welcome Amenity offered by a large number of SPG hotels with no lounge.
Not even a suggestion - I flat out said the hotel was being accommodating by offering breakfast in the restaurant. The OP didn't say if this would be considered the Platinum Welcome Amenity, however.

Also, someone else suggested that the hotel should, in addition, offer a free drink and appetizer platter, which I said was a good compromise.

So in reality you are probably only going to be 500pts (the alternate amenity) better off in exchange for lack of lounge access for 2 days. Is that reasonable compensation?
Not sure what you're saying here. That the OP should get the 500 pts (platinum gift) in addition to the breakfast the hotel is offering? If so, I agree with that.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 7:50 pm

You said that the lounge could very well be at capacity. You acknowledged that club rooms are for sale. Its not an unreasonable inference to take that this means the property is selling Club rooms despite notifying guests that there is no room to accommodate guests in the Lounge. Your post seemed to suggest that the hotel was acting reasonably/being generous by providing breakfast in the restaurant which is basically the same as a Platinum Welcome Amenity offered by a large number of SPG hotels with no lounge. So in reality you are probably only going to be 500pts (the alternate amenity) better off in exchange for lack of lounge access for 2 days. Is that reasonable compensation?
The offer seems to be the full buffet breakfast in the restaurant, not continental as Plats get in place of the 500 point welcome amenity or as is presumably offered in the lounge. So it's full breakfast in addition to the 500 points, which IME is what Starwood requires for Plats when a Sheraton lounge is closed unexpectedly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.