Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Can starwood employees file complaints against customers?!

Old Aug 4, 2012, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

I had a less than pleasant interaction with the front desk manager at the W Lex last night and it culminated with him threatening to report me to corporate. Throughout my many many stays with Starwood, I've never come across this situation so just wanted to check what this guy could possible be talking about. I assume it's just bluster but it made me seriously uncomfortable--am I going to have to stay in a cozy room for good?!!
Old Aug 4, 2012, 10:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by 2ndTOTY
I had a less than pleasant interaction with the front desk manager at the W Lex last night and it culminated with him threatening to report me to corporate. Throughout my many many stays with Starwood, I've never come across this situation so just wanted to check what this guy could possible be talking about. I assume it's just bluster but it made me seriously uncomfortable--am I going to have to stay in a cozy room for good?!!
Some major airlines discontinued the membership of frequent flyers in the past due to their uncivilized behaviour. I assume hotel chains have the same paragraphs in the T&C's.

What did they do? Why did you lose it? No suite upgrade?
Old Aug 4, 2012, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FD1971
Some major airlines discontinued the membership of frequent flyers in the past due to their uncivilized behaviour. I assume hotel chains have the same paragraphs in the T&C's.

What did they do? Why did you lose it? No suite upgrade?
I didn't lose it--I called the guy out for lying to me (told me there was no suite availability, so I booked a suite and, surprise surprise, it was available) and told him that I was going to file a complaint with corporate. He replied that he was going to file a complaint about me with corporate
Old Aug 4, 2012, 11:38 am

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
I didn't lose it--I called the guy out for lying to me (told me there was no suite availability, so I booked a suite and, surprise surprise, it was available) and told him that I was going to file a complaint with corporate. He replied that he was going to file a complaint about me with corporate
so how did it end? you checked into the W New York on Lexington, got a cozy room.. then booked a suite in front of the manager... so you ended up paying for 2 rooms?
Old Aug 4, 2012, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jammanxc
so how did it end? you checked into the W New York on Lexington, got a cozy room.. then booked a suite in front of the manager... so you ended up paying for 2 rooms?
No, had a friend staying with me so I had him book the suite--I understand that the guy thought I was "playing tricks on him" but I wasn't happy with the trick that the front desk pulled on me. Only ended up paying for one room (after a long call to corporate due to the FD being so unhelpful) on the original rate as I should have received the suite at checkin. To be clear, I didn't occupy the original room that they put me in.

The W Lex really needs to get its act together when it comes to suite upgrades. I've heard every excuse (huge convention, wedding, etc) and finally just got sick of getting lied to--really annoying to have to fight for these upgrades (not to mention getting yelled at for requesting a benefit that they consent to by virtue of their participation in SPG).
Old Aug 4, 2012, 12:09 pm
Suspended

There is no way to figure out whether standard suites are available from the website, therefore the FD manager was probably right, calling him a liar is completely uncalled for.

Hotels as well as airlines overbook their capacity. If hotels are happy giving you a senior suite while listing junior suites as available on their website, we are only talking about one scenario.

Additionally, well-organized hotels block suites for Platinum members in advance, so if the suite you are talking about was blocked for another Platinum member, it is certainly still available for booking, however not available for you at check-in, if the other Platinum member did not check in yet.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 12:11 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
There is no way to figure out whether standard suites are available from the website, therefore the FD manager was probably right, calling him a liar is completely uncalled for.

Hotels as well as airlines overbook their capacity. If hotels are happy giving you a senior suite while listing junior suites as available on their website, we are only talking about one scenario.

Additionally, well-organized hotels block suites for Platinum members in advance, so if the suite you are talking about was blocked for another Platinum member, it is certainly still available for booking, however not available for you at check-in, if the other Platinum member did not check in yet.
Upgrades are to be applied at check-in so if it was indeed pre-blocked for another Plat member, he had the right to request the suite at the other Plat member's loss.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

I didn't call him a liar until after I made the new reservation and my friend had checked into the suite (he had told me explicitly there were no suites left, that they were completely sold out but then I made a reservation for a suite five minutes later and had my friend check in fifteen after that)--this all happened in the space of about 20 minutes so I'm pretty sure they didn't magically build a new suite during that time period.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 12:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rooivalk
Upgrades are to be applied at check-in so if it was indeed pre-blocked for another Plat member, he had the right to request the suite at the other Plat member's loss.
Simply not happening, those suites are blocked and therefore out of the pool.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rooivalk
Also, I'll note that before corporate got involved the FD manager's story was that the suite had been withheld for "revenue purposes" because "they're running a business" (news to me--I thought Starwood was a charity...) so this wasn't an issue of me taking an upgrade from another plat.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
To be clear, I didn't occupy the original room that they put me in.
Glad you didn't stay in that small 150sqft cozy room... its as cozy as my apt bathroom
Old Aug 4, 2012, 12:24 pm

Programs: Costco Club
The nerve of some people.

Really? You didn't get your suite? POOR YOU, OH WHOA IS ME!

Seriously? Be happy with what they give you.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 12:25 pm
Suspended

Sorry, but I lost the overview.

OP booked a room, did not get an upgrade, so did not use the room, but paid for it.

OP's friend showed up 15 minutes later, did not have a reservation, booked a suite on the way to the property after receiving a heads up that the OP did not get a suite and both the OP and his friend stayed at the suite.

OP called Corporate to request a waiver on the cancellation policy, because he was able to use his friend's suite and did not want to pay for his room, because he did not receive an upgrade...
Old Aug 4, 2012, 12:30 pm

Cozy Room review on August 2nd from TA - http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._New_York.html

Horrible Experience -

I am not sure where I should start with the list of complains , to begin with the room is expensive and when my husband called to find out the details he was given a very positive information , when asked if the room is sufficient for 3 peeople and a kid they said yes and surprisingly the room was tooooooo tiny I think my master bedroom at home is bigger than the hotel room and they gave an additional bed for which they chaged us and never told us that it is going to cost extra and for the price of the room there is no breakfast or even atleast water for free.This hotel is a day light robberry.Could not help with the temperature control

Will never ever step in...highly disappointed

---------------

wow 3 people and a kid in a 150sqft COZY room? LOL
Old Aug 4, 2012, 12:31 pm

Sorry, but I lost the overview.

OP booked a room, did not get an upgrade, so did not use the room, but paid for it.

OP's friend showed up 15 minutes later, did not have a reservation, booked a suite on the way to the property after receiving a heads up that the OP did not get a suite and both the OP and his friend stayed at the suite.

OP called Corporate to request a waiver on the cancellation policy, because he was able to use his friend's suite and did not want to pay for his room, because he did not receive an upgrade...
hopefully the SUITE price was matched to the original Cozy room price

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.