Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPG Advice for Thailand N00B

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2012, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO - Platinum(now UA1K), Honors - Diamond, Starwood - Platinum, Hertz - Pres circle, National Exec
SPG Advice for Thailand N00B

Howdy FTers, I would like to tap your incredible knowledge on general advice and ideas for Thailand... Our normal February vacation destination is the Conrad Maldives, but we decided to mix it up this year. We are headed to Dubai for 3 nights (Any SPG or HHonors recommendations?), then on to BKK for 10 nights.

While in BKK we are planning a 1-2 night side trip to Angkor Wat, and 1-2 nights in Bangkok itself (thinking the St Regis?)... my question is where should we go for the remaining time in Thailand? I have been looking at flying to Phuket to see the Similan Islands and the limestone cliffs of Ko Phi Phi, but I'm really not sure where to go as some of the pictures Im seeing show throngs of people, not the idealistic and exclusive feel we want... We love the Maldives for the lack of crowds, the feeling of your own private beach (as they are basically private islands), and the crystal clear water. Our perfect property would be facing a bay with amazing snorkeling/diving, surrounded by the sheer limestone cliffs of Phi Phi, with a jungle behind the resort where we could canoe, hike, and swim under a waterfall... that should be easy to find right? haha. While we do love the feel of luxury 5 star properties, a clean smallish place with a remote and beautiful feel can be equally amazing.

It is looking like most of the SPG properties are in larger developed areas, where we would have to take day trips to see what we are thinking of as our "ideal Thailand experience"... What would be our best base of operations, and what day trips would you recommend?

Ive been looking at the "Bann Makok The Getaway" as a place to stay, but it isnt an SPG property, and its away from the Limestone Cliffs and Islands we really wanted to see...

Many Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 7, 2012, 4:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
Feb is still high season in TH so don't expect a Maldives style lack of crowds.....

if you want to go over to Similan, try an SPG prop in Khao Lak as its an easier trip over............ think you'll find Phi Phi Don/Lei a disappintment especially if you're thinking of crystal clear water.....
are you thinking limestone cliffs because of the bird caves or what they call James Bond island?.............. what waterfall are you thinking about??????

personally, I would opt for another SPG prop in BKK other then the St Regis, but thats due to my personal bias against this particular prop....

Originally Posted by TXHolmes
Howdy FTers, I would like to tap your incredible knowledge on general advice and ideas for Thailand... Our normal February vacation destination is the Conrad Maldives, but we decided to mix it up this year. We are headed to Dubai for 3 nights (Any SPG or HHonors recommendations?), then on to BKK for 10 nights.

While in BKK we are planning a 1-2 night side trip to Angkor Wat, and 1-2 nights in Bangkok itself (thinking the St Regis?)... my question is where should we go for the remaining time in Thailand? I have been looking at flying to Phuket to see the Similan Islands and the limestone cliffs of Ko Phi Phi, but I'm really not sure where to go as some of the pictures Im seeing show throngs of people, not the idealistic and exclusive feel we want... We love the Maldives for the lack of crowds, the feeling of your own private beach (as they are basically private islands), and the crystal clear water. Our perfect property would be facing a bay with amazing snorkeling/diving, surrounded by the sheer limestone cliffs of Phi Phi, with a jungle behind the resort where we could canoe, hike, and swim under a waterfall... that should be easy to find right? haha. While we do love the feel of luxury 5 star properties, a clean smallish place with a remote and beautiful feel can be equally amazing.

It is looking like most of the SPG properties are in larger developed areas, where we would have to take day trips to see what we are thinking of as our "ideal Thailand experience"... What would be our best base of operations, and what day trips would you recommend?

Ive been looking at the "Bann Makok The Getaway" as a place to stay, but it isnt an SPG property, and its away from the Limestone Cliffs and Islands we really wanted to see...

Many Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 7, 2012, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO - Platinum(now UA1K), Honors - Diamond, Starwood - Platinum, Hertz - Pres circle, National Exec
Thanks so much BKKLEE, Im leaning to the western side of Thailand because of the "fjord like" limestone formations... not sure what they are actually called, but the dramatic sheer cliffs dissappearing into the ocean... The waterfall I was thinking of was Anam Kok on Koh Kut...

Im leaning toward the Le Meridien Khao Lak, as it is close to the Similan Islands, looks fairly un-crowded, and has easy access to Rachaprabha lake and some other places that look beautiful...

Are there any SPG properties with a house reef that you can access right from the beach?

Last edited by TXHolmes; Aug 7, 2012 at 5:12 pm
Old Aug 7, 2012, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
I'd very highly recommend Le Meridien Khao Lak. It doesn't have everything you want, such as the great snorkeling (in fact we didn't go snorkeling at all) or the limestone cliffs, but instead has a pretty, extremely long beach (at least a few miles each way) to walk on, with the beach not yet being overdeveloped at all. Plus some superb, inexpensive Thai restaurants right on the beach nearby (one less than a five minute walk away) - better than hotel Thai food actually, and some equally cheap, open air massage shacks. Of course, if you prefer to shell out more for food or massages, the hotel has various restaurants and a lovely spa.

For lots more information, including access to the Similans and about the hotel itself, check out the hotel's thread here in this forum. My review there from a few years ago provides some useful info, but among others I'd recommend Samuel P. Goodman's great reviews in the past year and also a few years ago.

At least when we went, we were able to get a junior suite simply with one or two thousand extra points - it was a total award stay - by calling Starwood rather than reserving online. Occasionally hotels will make suites available for points, but only SPG reservations (not the website) can check on this. We then got a lucky, complementary upgrade as SPG Gold to a regular suite, which was very big. Of course, there's no guarantee of a suite upgrade even as a Plat during the busy season, but OTOH you can do even better with the beachfront villas, though you'll have to pay extra $$ for those if it is an award booking.

LMKL is about a 75 minute ride from Phuket in an air conditions taxi or hotel car on good roads.

Now, having said all that, this place is definitely not the Maldives (which we've also been to and loved) in terms of sheer luxury. In fact, Thailand generally is great value, but not the Maldives. But LMKL is still quite nice in terms of room, grounds, service, etc., plus that uncrowded beach is really special if you like to walk.

For getting to Siem Reap and Phuket from Bangkok, Bangkok Air is a nice airline that flies nonstop to both. I know Thai flies to Phuket, but am not certain about Siem Reap

PS: For Dubai, I'd highly recommend the Grosvenor House, a wonderful hotel with extremely cordial, professional service.

Last edited by Thunderroad; Aug 7, 2012 at 10:55 pm
Old Aug 7, 2012, 7:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
I generally stay at the Ren Phuket as they offer me a private splash pool upgrade (in advance) or at the JW Khao Lak as they offer me either the duplex or river pool access upgrades so no expereience with SPG props in this area (but I do know the customer service rep at the LeM Khao Lak as she previously worked at the Courtyard BKK).........

Originally Posted by TXHolmes
Thanks so much BKKLEE, Im leaning to the western side of Thailand because of the "fjord like" limestone formations... not sure what they are actually called, but the dramatic sheer cliffs dissappearing into the ocean... The waterfall I was thinking of was Anam Kok on Koh Kut...

Im leaning toward the Le Meridien Khao Lak, as it is close to the Similan Islands, looks fairly un-crowded, and has easy access to Rachaprabha lake and some other places that look beautiful...

Are there any SPG properties with a house reef that you can access right from the beach?
Old Aug 8, 2012, 1:36 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I recently stayed at LM Khao Lak. You can read about it in my trip report (signature block link).

There are very few locations in Phuket where they have a house reef.

I personally found Khao Lak to be too far away from it all. Although this might be what you are looking for.

Be advised that the Similian Islands are closed 2 months of the year. This may affect your visit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.