Wiki Posts
Search

Which one is the best (DC hotels)?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by seekingsun
I'd like to ask for advice as well. I have a milestone wedding anniversary coming up and want to spend one night in downtown DC. I have a bunch of SPG to burn, so I was looking at their properties. I would like to have a very nice dinner somewhere close by and then maybe have some drinks somewhere. I guess proximity wise there are 4 properties to choose from: Westin, W, St Regis and 4 Points. 4 Points offers no reward redemption for my dates. Which one of the other one's would be the most impressive, even with no status?
I'm assuming you mean the Westin Georgetown? But not sure considering the Westin City Center is closer to the W, St. Regis & Four points.

I'll suggest either the Westin Georgetown or the Fairfax.

There are plenty of restaurants and bars near the Westin (West End) and the Fairfax (Dupont). It's a ten minute walk between the properties.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:59 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
Where is all the nightlife in DC? I was eyeing the W for a stay around the 4th of July or should I be looking somewhere else?
The Fairfax has the most nightlife nearby, as it is right next to Dupont Circle, and walking distance to Adams Morgan.. which can range from rowdy packed bars full of college students on the weekends, to some really cool bars with unique food/drinks (particularly on week nights).

The W itself, however, has decent nightlife at the POV bar.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by doctor15
The Fairfax has the most nightlife nearby, as it is right next to Dupont Circle, and walking distance to Adams Morgan.. which can range from rowdy packed bars full of college students on the weekends, to some really cool bars with unique food/drinks (particularly on week nights).

The W itself, however, has decent nightlife at the POV bar.
Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:51 pm

Programs: DL,AA SPG Plat
Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
Where is all the nightlife in DC? I was eyeing the W for a stay around the 4th of July or should I be looking somewhere else?
If you stay at the W you are only a few blocks from Metro Center. From there you can take the red line to Dupont Circle. There is plenty of nightlife there. Several of the bars are more of a college scene but there are plenty of more upscale places. If you want you can take a cab to U street or Adams Morgan. The area that the W is around does have several bars and clubs but nothing like the above mentioned.
Old May 25, 2015, 8:04 pm

Do any of the Westin hotels in the area have lounges? If so which is the best?
Old May 25, 2015, 8:14 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
Westin Alexandria does. I don't think it's open on the weekend.

I have to say, I really like the Sheraton Suites Alexandria. It's bare bones and no frills but I like the location. Walk to Old Town or walk to the metro. Usually on the cheaper side $$$ wise.
Old May 26, 2015, 7:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Amy28
Do any of the Westin hotels in the area have lounges? If so which is the best?
Neither the Westin City Center or Georgetown, both located in the district, have a lounge.
Old May 26, 2015, 10:27 am

I see this is an older thread but I'm considering a trip to DC in the near future and am wondering about the Starwood hotel situation. I have stayed in the Georgetown Westin and also St Regis. Total disappointments, both of them. The rooms were in desperate need of renovation, especially St Regis. I am not so fussy and am a big fan of Starwood, but just could not stomach staying in their DC properties any more after that so started staying in the Mandarin Oriental even though I didn't like the location. I would love to go back to the St Regis but only if it's been upgraded. Is the Trump open yet?
Old May 26, 2015, 10:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by UrbanDweller
I see this is an older thread but I'm considering a trip to DC in the near future and am wondering about the Starwood hotel situation. I have stayed in the Georgetown Westin and also St Regis. Total disappointments, both of them. The rooms were in desperate need of renovation, especially St Regis. I am not so fussy and am a big fan of Starwood, but just could not stomach staying in their DC properties any more after that so started staying in the Mandarin Oriental even though I didn't like the location. I would love to go back to the St Regis but only if it's been upgraded. Is the Trump open yet?
This thread should be merged with the DC Master thread,

The Westin Georgetown just went thru it's second renovation in 5 years.

Also, there are more properties then just these two in the DISTRICT proper. Since you mention the Trump and the Mandarin, perhaps your expectations for the Westin are not in line with the more upscale brands mentioned?
Old May 26, 2015, 10:55 am

I understand your comment but actually I'm OK with a variety of levels. What I'm really looking for is a room that is clean and recently refurbished. I can do anything from top of the line to Residence Inn. I'll go over to the DC master thread and read the posts there. Thanks so much for letting me know about the Westin renovations, btw!
Old May 26, 2015, 11:25 am
Suspended

I understand your comment but actually I'm OK with a variety of levels. What I'm really looking for is a room that is clean and recently refurbished. I can do anything from top of the line to Residence Inn. I'll go over to the DC master thread and read the posts there. Thanks so much for letting me know about the Westin renovations, btw!
Yeah and be sure to read the hotels individual master threads as well.
Old May 26, 2015, 1:30 pm

I was at the Fairfax earlier this year and the property/room was very nice, albeit the suite was a tad small. Also, the valets were practically turning themselves inside out hustling for tips. Otherwise, the location and everything else was just fine. I'll be returning if the rate is right.

Cheers,
Old May 26, 2015, 1:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Flews
I was at the Fairfax earlier this year and the property/room was very nice, albeit the suite was a tad small. Also, the valets were practically turning themselves inside out hustling for tips. Otherwise, the location and everything else was just fine. I'll be returning if the rate is right.

Cheers,
I was just there and agree, even when it was a Westin, those rooms were tiny! Its hard to believe/imagine that pre Fairfax, some rooms were even smaller.

This property only have two suite types. I took pictures and mapped during the Westin to Luxury Collection renovation/rebranding. The others are just large rooms with sitting areas.

They do have one other suite type (two/three) in total, that is not apart of the upgrade pool.

This hotel location is great, but the size of the rooms, suites included, is shocking.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 1:38 pm
azj

I'm arriving at IAD on a Saturday afternoon for business in the city Su, M and T. I only need 1 night as work is taking care of the hotel in the city the other days. Rooms are reasonable near IAD and was initially just going to stay out there at the Westin. On second thought, I'm now considering something closer to the city. I'm on my own dime, so the $350+ for SPG properties in the city are out of the question. I've narrowed it down to perhaps the Le Meridien Arlington on the Westin Crystal City. I like these for their cost ($130-150) and their proximity to Metro into the city the following day for meetings. Any thoughts comparing these two properties for a lowly SPG Gold?
Old Sep 26, 2016, 4:02 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Southwest AL CP, Hyatt Globalist
I have never stayed at the LM Arlington, but recently stayed at the Westin Crystal City. It was a perfectly fine stay, with nothing memorable. The proximity to the Metro is very nice and the early morning shuttle to the DCA even better. Further, I find IAD to be somewhat remote and too far away from the city for my taste. I'll gladly pay extra for Reagan. Did you want my opinion?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.