Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which one is the best (DC hotels)?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2012, 11:12 am

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by hockeyfan12
I'm considered switching to the Westin given the relatively inexpensive rate. Thoughts? The W, depsite having tiny rooms, seems to be in a better location for the sights.
From a location standpoint, it's six of one, half dozen of the other. Heck, they're both three blocks from the McPherson Square metro station. Now, the W is closer to the monuments, but not by a whole lot -- definitely not enough where it's worth paying a huge premium. If you were cabbing it to the Washington Monument, for example, your cab fare would be an extra $2.50 from the Westin as opposed to the W. Note that neither hotel has a metro station "right out the front door" either.

One thing to note is that the immediate area around the W is pretty dead at night, although it's only a few blocks from Chinatown. (The Verizon Center, where the Wizards and Caps play, is in Chinatown, and it's spurred the development of a lot of restaurants and bars).

I don't know about the immediate area surrounding the Westin, but I think it is similar. However, the Westin City Center is closer to Dupont Circle, where there is a lot of stuff going on.

If the W had a ton of stuff going on right out the front door, and it had a metro station within a block, or I'd be saving a ton of time and/or cab fare, *and* the hotel was something to write home about, maybe I would spend an extra $100/night for the W. But TBH, if price matters to you (and it does to me) you aren't giving up a whole lot to stay at the Westin. I'd pocket the cash.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by DHAST
F But TBH, if price matters to you (and it does to me) you aren't giving up a whole lot to stay at the Westin. I'd pocket the cash.
Thanks for the advice. Was leaning that way, and the saved Starpoints can easily be redeployed elsewhere.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 3:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
The W is a MUCH nicer hotel then the Westin CC. The Westin is very old, in need of a renovation, and almost all rooms face the interior. I would say it is actually the crappiest Westin I have stayed in. Age out of the way, it was a perfectly clean and safe room. If you just need a cheap place to stay and will be out exploring the town, you will be fine at the Westin. If you want to have a nice escape though, it might be worth sticking with the W.

The area around the Westin is VERY dead, but as another poster mentioned you can walk to several more lively neighborhoods in about 15 minutes. Head up 14th st to Logan Circle at P st or the U st area (guess where that is?). You can also head west on M st and will start hitting the Farragut / dupont area at 18th and M.

The W does actually have more going on the neighborhood around it now (such as Hamilton across the street) in addition to being very close to the mall. As the other poster said, Chinatown (or Logan Circle mentioned above) is your best bet for neighborhoods within walking distance of the W.

Oh, as far as metro access, Metro Center (one of the main stations) is only a block or two from the W. The Westin CC is closer to 5-7 minutes from McPherson Square.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 7:20 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
Originally Posted by flyinglan
I will definitely stay away from the Sheraton Alexandria. It's in the ghetto.
Oh come on... It's not in the ghetto. It's not even in a place I am remotely nervous about walking abound alone at night. I've stayed all around DC and I have to say that this is one of my favorite properties. No, the hotel is not as lavish as the Westin, nor does it have the best lounge, but the rooms are all suites and you're real close to Old Town Alexandria. It's a great walking area, lots of shopping, lots or restaurants. Took my wife there a few weeks ago and she loved it.

The Westin Alexandria is a real nice hotel with a great club lounge. However, it's double the distance to old town and in a business district while the Sheraton is is a beautiful old residential district.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 8:57 am

Westin Georgetown

Stayed at the westin Georgetown for a few nights last year on points. It was fine but nothing special. I got quite sick (migraine & nausea) - no fault of the hotel, of course - but it made the nearby (3 blocks) whole foods a godsend. My partner was able to go there to get soup and other provisions - we liked that so much that we ended up going there to pick up dinner most nights after I started feeling better. Three blocks from the metro as well, which was great. So I would say location was great and hotel was fine.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 9:39 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by hockeyfan12
The Westin City Centre is $119/night, and the four points for $99/night.
The other DC starwood properties are pricey during that period.

I'm considered switching to the Westin given the relatively inexpensive rate. Thoughts? The W, depsite having tiny rooms, seems to be in a better location for the sights.
The Four Points is also in an excellent location and quite close (though others haven't mentioned it). Rooms are bigger than the W, which isn't hard. And for a Four Points, it's definitely a nicer property though without personality.

I've stayed there a few times (as well as the Westin City Centre and St. Regis) and for the Starpicks price, it's hard to beat.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 9:15 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, SPG Platinum, HHonors Gold, Global Entry
As anyone had any recent experience with the Westin Georgetown...specifically in regards to Platinum amenities...upgrades/brekafast/etc. I am booking a weekend trip to DC next month and am trying to choose which hotel.

I normally stay at the Fairfax.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Mindray
As anyone had any recent experience with the Westin Georgetown...specifically in regards to Platinum amenities...upgrades/brekafast/etc. I am booking a weekend trip to DC next month and am trying to choose which hotel.

I haven't stayed at the Westin Georgetown in a while, but prefer the Fairfax. In my experience they treat platinum's better. They have a better selection of rooms and it's in a better location for walking, dining, and transportation.

The Westin Georgetown doesn't have a lot of suites, but the rooms are a decent size. I've never been upgraded to suite, but have received a executive room which is pretty big.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:03 am

Programs: SPG Plat, IHG Royal Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat,Accor Plat, US Chairmans
how about the st. regis? When I stayed there last, the rates were comparable and I was upgraded to a Caroline Astor suite with butler service. Late checkout was allowed for at 4PM (I didnt fully utilize it). Two blocks from Obama's House and bfast was outstanding ($20 per person allowance at Adour or the continental bfast).
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Mindray

Originally Posted by KENNECTED
I haven't stayed at the Westin Georgetown in a while, but prefer the Fairfax. In my experience they treat platinum's better. They have a better selection of rooms and it's in a better location for walking, dining, and transportation.

The Westin Georgetown doesn't have a lot of suites, but the rooms are a decent size. I've never been upgraded to suite, but have received a executive room which is pretty big.
I like the Fairfax better as well, partly for the reasons stated by KENNECTED. Part of my assessment is that I like the Dupont Circle area that the Fairfax is near better than Georgetown, which the WG is near (though not really in...it's maybe a 10 minute walk away.)

Also, I can't recall if the basic Fairfax rooms are the same size as those at the WG, but they seem to be more nicely furnished and the hotel as a whole has a nicer feel to it...closer to a boutique hotel. Never been upgraded to a suite in a few stays there, though.

Last year I did stay at the WG once for a night. I requested a Plat upgrade to a suite at check-in and was told none was available. When I got to my room, I looked online and found that in fact suites were available, so I called down to the front desk and they agreed to move me. The suite was one very big room with one or two couches, but not anything really impressive. I recall being underwhelmed and wondering whether getting it was worth my (fairly minimal) effort.

Sorry, I don't recall how the two compare re the Plat breakfast perk.

Now, having said all this, If the WG is charging significantly less than the F for a room, I wouldn't have trouble going with the WG. It's certainly ok. But the price being equal or nearly so, I'd pick the F.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:34 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, SPG Platinum, HHonors Gold, Global Entry
I had been thinking about just doing the St. Regis, for the weekend I am going, the rates are cheap, around $250 using FHR, and then with the $100 credit and free breakfast, it would be just as expensive as if I stayed at the WG or Fairfax.

Plus, if they upgraded me to a suite, that would be even better. Thank you all for your thoughts.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:42 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
I just stayed at Le Meridien and was impressed. It's a walk across the bridge to Georgetown. It's in the business area of Arlington and is a pretty swanky, cosmopolitan place.

Service was very good, room was very nice, no club lounge, do have to pay to park, nice bar and patio overlooking river. The one strange thing is you walk into the building and you have to go to the 4th floor to get to the lobby. The other floors may be parking.

It was nice, I'd stay here again. Different than your typical Westin or Sheraton.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 6:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
I like the Fairfax better as well, partly for the reasons stated by KENNECTED. Part of my assessment is that I like the Dupont Circle area that the Fairfax is near better than Georgetown, which the WG is near (though not really in...it's maybe a 10 minute walk away.)

Also, I can't recall if the basic Fairfax rooms are the same size as those at the WG, but they seem to be more nicely furnished and the hotel as a whole has a nicer feel to it...closer to a boutique hotel. Never been upgraded to a suite in a few stays there, though.

Last year I did stay at the WG once for a night. I requested a Plat upgrade to a suite at check-in and was told none was available. When I got to my room, I looked online and found that in fact suites were available, so I called down to the front desk and they agreed to move me. The suite was one very big room with one or two couches, but not anything really impressive. I recall being underwhelmed and wondering whether getting it was worth my (fairly minimal) effort.

Sorry, I don't recall how the two compare re the Plat breakfast perk.

Now, having said all this, If the WG is charging significantly less than the F for a room, I wouldn't have trouble going with the WG. It's certainly ok. But the price being equal or nearly so, I'd pick the F.
One thing to note, the Westin isn't that big and doesn't have a lot of suites. What they are considering a "suite" is a larger room. I was there during the renovation and was given a "tour" and poked around various rooms. You can see my stay review right after the reno.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Where is all the nightlife in DC? I was eyeing the W for a stay around the 4th of July or should I be looking somewhere else?
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:06 am

Programs: UA 1P, HH Gold, SPG+
I'd like to ask for advice as well. I have a milestone wedding anniversary coming up and want to spend one night in downtown DC. I have a bunch of SPG to burn, so I was looking at their properties. I would like to have a very nice dinner somewhere close by and then maybe have some drinks somewhere. I guess proximity wise there are 4 properties to choose from: Westin, W, St Regis and 4 Points. 4 Points offers no reward redemption for my dates. Which one of the other one's would be the most impressive, even with no status?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.