Search

Creepy Starwood Stalkers-Edina MN Westin

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2012, 1:41 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by Moriens
No one minds the voicemail clarifying corporate rate requirements. What creeps people out is the fact that hotel employees were stalking a guest online, even after she asked them not to.
Nobody stalked anyone.
Old May 26, 2012, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most

More interestingly, there are a few mentions of “Global Personalization at Starwood (GPS)” on Starwood blogs and job listings, with no public explanation I could find. Rolling out a “we downloaded your FaceBook page! ha ha!” program seems like a way for a hotel chain to shoot itself in the foot. Is this something Starwood is planning?
GPS will allow us to connect with guests on their own terms, in and outside of their stay. It enables our Associates to anticipate guest needs and deliver tailored experiences at their fingertips.
Old May 26, 2012, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by yosithezet
Nobody stalked anyone.
Fine, call it corporate cyberstalking of the fifth kind.

Originally Posted by holtju2
GPS will allow us to connect with guests on their own terms, in and outside of their stay. It enables our Associates to anticipate guest needs and deliver tailored experiences at their fingertips.
Wow!

Last edited by Moriens; May 26, 2012 at 1:59 am Reason: GPS details
Old May 26, 2012, 2:02 am

Fine, call it corporate cyberstalking of the fifth kind.
I read that definition and that isn't what took place.
Old May 26, 2012, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most

Wow!
That is one of the reason, why I have never given my personal information to the Lurkers here, when they have requested it, as all this is linked together.
Old May 26, 2012, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by forumpersona999
Want the modern bits of the Starwood privacy policy taken out again ? By all rights this should make it difficult to keep lurkers around or to interact with Starwood through non-traditional channels such as Facebook or Twitter.
If I contact them using social media, I have opted in for that transaction. Yes, I have given Starwood Lurkers my SPG info, so I have opted in and allowed them to link my FT name to my real name and account, so they can help me. I opted in and allowed them to do that. But I haven't given them permission to go try to match me to one of fifty people with my name on Linked In or any other social media service out there to try to figure out details of my life.

Yes, it's 2012, and it should be possible for a company to deliver its services and protect individual privacy at the same time.

Linked In profiles, facebook, etc info is not something a hotel GM needs in order to provide me with a room.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; May 26, 2012 at 7:22 am
Old May 26, 2012, 7:19 am

Lol, some of the posts on this thread are so niaive.

And if you think this is something specific to *wood, better think again.

Welcome to 2012 folks.

Cheers,
Old May 26, 2012, 7:42 am

I don't get it ?

Why would anyone feel this is creepy ? Your name and the information YOU put there is for the world to see
Now that someone has decided to look it up you feel violated. Please.
I'm not a creepy guy Honestly but I myself have looked up some individuals etc that I have possibly met or something else. Everybody can get a little nosy, everyone. It's actually quite interesting.
Old May 26, 2012, 8:54 am
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
We all know that information on the web is visible to all. However, this is far beyond what is responsble, professional behavior from a hotel. Why not just start doing Google searches on all guests? Maybe an arrest will come up? Maybe financial problems? Should the hotel refuse a guest based on what comes up about their background in a Google search as well? What if a Google search reveals that a guest checks in with someone who is not their spouse?
This crosses a line that should not be crossed. It is not needed and could open a hotel to a variety of legal, ethical and business problems that has much greater liability than benefit.
Old May 26, 2012, 9:53 am

Programs: AA, Delta, NWA,HHonors, Hyatt BF
Originally Posted by MrHalliday
am not.
Well, OK, I will go look at your profile...

..except maybe I can't because I deleted
my useless and unused LinkedIn account a while ago.
It's not worth the effort!

I'm glad I don't have my real job on facebook - lol! Hotels would tell me they were full based on MY creepy factor

And I think everyone knows that the info out there is public and that isn't the issue, it's the circumstance in which it inspired interest.
Old May 26, 2012, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by redreeper
It's not worth the effort!

I'm glad I don't have my real job on facebook - lol! Hotels would tell me they were full based on MY creepy factor

And I think everyone knows that the info out there is public and that isn't the issue, it's the circumstance in which it inspired interest.
You are so right!
Old May 26, 2012, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by GB
We all know that information on the web is visible to all. However, this is far beyond what is responsble, professional behavior from a hotel. Why not just start doing Google searches on all guests? Maybe an arrest will come up? Maybe financial problems? Should the hotel refuse a guest based on what comes up about their background in a Google search as well? What if a Google search reveals that a guest checks in with someone who is not their spouse?
This crosses a line that should not be crossed. It is not needed and could open a hotel to a variety of legal, ethical and business problems that has much greater liability than benefit.
Agreed. That is exactly the argument I used with Andrew who called me from "customer service desk in Ontario." He offered no apology and really seemed to support the position of the GM and hotel. He did say he saw both sides "now that he had spoken to me" because I shared some viewpoints the hotel GM did not. I am not satisfied with the response. I would have appreciated an "I'm sorry" but I'm not going to ask for that. I did tell him I had posted on FT and encouraged him to follow the thread, which he thought he would to gain a sightline into the way guests felt about the issue. So Andrew, when a Platinum guest who has stayed 461 nights in Starwood hotels since 1999---more than a year and a half of her life--tells you that she is offended, it might be a good idea to at least offer an apology. Doesn't mean you have to agree with me. It might buy you a lifetime customer or it might piss me off enough to move my business to Marriott and bring more than a few FTers with me.
1KW
Old May 26, 2012, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by 1Kwoman
I did tell him I had posted on FT and encouraged him to follow the thread, which he thought he would to gain a sightline into the way guests felt about the issue.
Now that you have explicitly provided Starwood with the link between you FT username and your offline identity as a guest, I hope you don't find it creepy when you post praise or a complaint an Starwood contacts you off FT to address the issues in your post.
Old May 26, 2012, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by 1Kwoman
If this is Starwood's new marketing strategy, I am going to stay at Marriott--as a Lifetime Platinum Elite there I have never been questioned, stalked or creeped out.
i don't think this has anything to do with starwood but looks more like the properties own policy....

strange, definitely....stalking, no....if i post stuff about myself online & don't adjust my privacy settings then its an open invitation for anyone to view....
Old May 26, 2012, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by yosithezet
Now that you have explicitly provided Starwood with the link between you FT username and your offline identity as a guest, I hope you don't find it creepy when you post praise or a complaint an Starwood contacts you off FT to address the issues in your post.
Actually, yes, that would be no less creepy than guests calling the GM at home.

Why do you suggest that Starwood ever would or should do this? (They can post, or send a PM, on FlyerTalk, where Starwood maintains an extensive corporate presence.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.