Wiki Posts
Search

The Nines vs Westin Portland

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2012, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AP, AS, BAEC, HH, SPG, FPC, PC
The Nines vs Westin Portland

My wife and I and 2 kids (4 and 6) will be doing some shopping in Portland in a couple of weeks. Instead of driving back to Vancouver, BC after a long day of shopping, my wife wants to stay an extra night to make it easier on me and the kids, but I think she just wants to have an extra day to do more damage!!!

We have some free nights cert's that we'd like to use but I'm not sure which of these 2 hotels we should redeem at. However, I'm open to other suggestions. We plan to eat at the Cheesecake Factory in Washington Square (Tigard, OR) and there's a Hilton Embassy there that I rather not stay

We won't be spending a lot of time in the hotel. We've always enjoyed staying at a Westin but I understand The Nines is pretty fancy, maybe too fancy for my kids?

Thank you all for your advice.

ST_ca
Old May 3, 2012, 6:40 pm
Moy

If you are SPG Plat then definitely stay at theNines as it has one of the best Club Lounges in the USA. Even if you're not SPG Plat I'd still probably stay at theNines. Much cooler hotel, and in fact it is right next to a lot of great shopping for your wife..............
Old May 3, 2012, 8:10 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Personally, I found most of the rooms at the Nines to be pretty small. Women will love it based on the "Tiffany blue" decor but I thought it wasn't that great, functionally. The only thing different about their lounge (as opposed to other NA properties) is that there's free flowing booze - but I'm not sure that'll help your situation.

The Westin has, generally speaking, larger rooms. There's no lounge but, as a Plat, you'd get free breakfast for at least 2 people. At the Nines, the breakfast isn't that great so I'd say it's a draw. But there are afternoon hors d'oeurves and evening treats at the Nines. The Westin seems to have undergone a more recent refurbishment than the Nines.

The Westin is 1-2 blocks away, so location-wise, they're equal. Or, the Westin is actually closer to the hipster part of town.

However, I'd stay away from the Hilton as that's definitely a much more tired hotel.
Old May 3, 2012, 9:01 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
Agree with the above that if you'll have access to the lounge, The Nines is a better choice. Otherwise, probably a toss up for me.

I've stayed in lots of different rooms in each and find the average room size to be generally similar between the Westin and the Nines. That said, I find that rooms (even in the same category) can vary in size quite a bit at the Nines. If you want to stay there, it may be worth a call the day before to request a larger one. The interior facing rooms in the back (ending in -26) feel larger to me.

The Nines is nice, but definitely not too upscale for a family visit.

I believe parking is about the same at each, around $40.
Old May 4, 2012, 12:30 am

nevermind!

Last edited by FoxCrane; Nov 15, 2012 at 10:51 pm
Old May 4, 2012, 1:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There's a quite nice aloft by the airport with IIRC free parking. It's located right at a light rail station for trips downtown.
Old May 4, 2012, 7:45 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There's a quite nice aloft by the airport with IIRC free parking. It's located right at a light rail station for trips downtown.
And there's a YoCream nearby for frozen yogurt!
Old May 4, 2012, 8:06 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Depending on what type of experience you are looking for. The Nines will be distinctive, but not too modern. Rooms are decent sized, although the bathrooms are generally strangely configured, with tiny toilets and shower/tub area. The concierge lounge, with its open bar, is a major draw. The on-site restaurants Urban Farmer and Departure are excellent. As someone had already pointed out, the corner 2Q room is quite spacious and bigger than most 1K rooms.

The Westin is a typical Westin. Last time I stayed there, they had a Godiva chocolate reception as part of their Unwind program - not sure if they still do that. There is a Daily Grill on-site.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 7:51 pm

Any recent stays at both of these properties?

We're thinking of going in July to visit the beaches and Portland so would appreciate any new info if someone knows both of the properties. We're Plat so I'm not sure if one is better for upgrades on points or if The Nines is worth the extra points since it's a higher category. Thanks.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 8:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Rooms at the Nines are small and many face the interior courtyard. IMO the best thing about this hotel is the lounge; I would not stay here without lounge access. However, their restaurant is pretty good and there's a lively bar too.

If you're going to beaches, do you want to stay downtown or someplace where you can avoid traffic? There's a Sheraton at the airport and an aloft at the first light rail stop away from the airport. There may be other Starwoods in the area.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 9:19 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
I am not a fan of the Nines but I know others are. Rooms are small, service is poor and nothing special for the rates. Definitely agree do not drive downtown - take the Link metro service. May want to check about train/bus service to the beaches as well (not sure which beaches you're planning on visiting).

was just in Portland about 6 weeks ago There are less expensive hotels in downtown Portland that provide excellent service. The nines does have a good restaurant. BTW - was just in Portland about 6 week ago.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, Bonvoy Titanium Elite Lifer, Hertz Prez
We get a very good corporate rate at the Nines so have stayed there many many times since they opened but I have stayed at the Westin as well several times. I do like the Nines better because of the lounge happy hour, the rooftop bar/restaurant (which can get packed in nice weather) and the atrium lounge. The downside of the Nines is some of the rooms are very small and upgrades are infrequent. They have accommodated my check-in and post check-in requests for a larger size room in the past but for a family, a large corner room with two beds would be the best to book (I think I got upgrade maybe twice to one of these rooms in all my stays there but I definitely would not depend on a larger room upgrade). The Urban Farmer is a very good restaurant but it's also very expensive. For a steak dinner, Ringside or Jake's Grill are better values IMO (BTW, check out Jake's Grill early or late happy hour for some great cheap eats).

The Westin is better for upgrades and just about every time I stayed there I got upgraded to a corner room which was pretty nice. Overall it's a good hotel and I do like the City Grill restaurant.

The Nines and Westin are only a few blocks apart so no difference on location and you can walk to many things downtown including the waterfront, Sat/Sun market, shopping, etc. I would not stay out by the airport or on the Westside as you have to drive everywhere for everything.

Downtown out to the Columbia River Gorge and waterfalls is only like 45 minutes but the beaches are a 3 hour round trip so you may want to book something out there if you're going for more than one day trip.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT., Marriott LT GLD
Avoid courtyard rooms at The Nines

I have had 2 stays at each property in the last 5 months. I am not a huge fan of The Nines for the same reason I am not a fan of W properties. I am old and no longer hip. The place is loud. And if it is too loud, you are too old.

But The Nines is good if on the Club floor, if and only if, one has an exterior room. I had a courtyard room and there was a private event, replete with loud disco bass thumping. Even the normal lounge noise can be too much. Not a good stay.

Now get off my lawn.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 8:20 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Well, I'm not anywhere near the the definition of "too old" and I found the courtyard facing rooms to be too loud to sleep through. Wasn't even a party, just the normal lounge music.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, Bonvoy Titanium Elite Lifer, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by Braindrain
Well, I'm not anywhere near the the definition of "too old" and I found the courtyard facing rooms to be too loud to sleep through. Wasn't even a party, just the normal lounge music.
Yes, I'll add that I've never stayed in an atrium facing room and have no desire either because of the noise as well as privacy. I always book an exterior facing room and have had no noise problems over the years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.