FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   [Targeted] Free SPG Gold with just one stay in Asia Pacific (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/1324509-targeted-free-spg-gold-just-one-stay-asia-pacific.html)

lcpteck Sep 24, 2012 8:50 am

Originally Posted by Hiro32 (Post 19371717)
Is this promo just for non elite members?

Supposedly, but not sure what happens if you take it up if you're already elite. So far no postings on this yet.

Zolomark Sep 24, 2012 2:00 pm

so i just signed up for an SPG account and got the SPG AMEX. I'm going to HK this winter from dec 2012 to jan 2013. If I'm reading this right, I can register for the promotion, use my US Airways MC (assuming its World), book a one night stay at a HK participating hotel sometime in Jan 2013, and receive Gold status for the rest of 2013 and all of 2014?

sdcarver Sep 24, 2012 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by lcpteck (Post 19374091)
Supposedly, but not sure what happens if you take it up if you're already elite. So far no postings on this yet.

I am a current SPG Platinum Member who has not qualified for elite next year (3 stays to date this year...) I was eligible and signed up for this promotion using the link provided,

sdcarver

hqly2001 Sep 25, 2012 3:55 am

Can someone confirm if i book a non refundable rate and is charged immediately, will i get gold in 4 weeks of the charge or do i need to complete stay first? Since it's prepaid, i dont think they do anything at checkout except tell me that theres no charges.

Corridor! Sep 25, 2012 7:38 pm

I can confirm that you won't receive gold if you book a non-refundable room. I booked a non-refundable room in Kuala Lampur 5 months ago for an upcoming stay and I didn't receive gold. I did speak with Starwood on the phone as I want my gold to take place immediately after the stay as I have more nights booked immediately after this stay in Thailand.

I have been given two suggestions. One told me to have the front desk call Starwood upon checkout and speak to a supervisor to have my status changed to gold. I had a second rep who offered me gold on the phone and it would expire till February or March of next year.

I declined the complimentary upgrade to gold as I believe you can only get the complimentary gold once a lifetime. I am not sure if this is true though as I brought it up the agent and she didn't see to know of this. Does anyone know the facts on this?

Thanks!

Preacher7 Sep 26, 2012 3:41 am

Stayed at Le Meridien Delhi and got Gold a couple days after my stay. Used the Ink Bold to pay.

sweetz_21_83 Sep 30, 2012 11:30 am

Originally Posted by hqly2001 (Post 19379716)
Can someone confirm if i book a non refundable rate and is charged immediately, will i get gold in 4 weeks of the charge or do i need to complete stay first? Since it's prepaid, i dont think they do anything at checkout except tell me that theres no charges.

We had a prepaid rate and completed our stay and were upgraded to gold about a week later.

pcharles Oct 19, 2012 7:57 am

Originally Posted by Zolomark (Post 19376143)
so i just signed up for an SPG account and got the SPG AMEX. I'm going to HK this winter from dec 2012 to jan 2013. If I'm reading this right, I can register for the promotion, use my US Airways MC (assuming its World), book a one night stay at a HK participating hotel sometime in Jan 2013, and receive Gold status for the rest of 2013 and all of 2014?

Perhaps for your stay in Jan you will get all of 2014?

After my recent couple of China stays this month, gold is now good for me through (only) Feb 2014. I have no focus on hotel programs, but the gold fast track was easy enough, and perhaps I'll actually make use of it?

Corridor! Nov 7, 2012 9:42 pm

I have my qualifying stay in Kuala Lampur. The next day I am staying in Chiang Mai. I have read that the gold status can take up to 4 weeks to receive. I called Starwood months ago and they suggested that I have the front desk contact Starwood the morning of check out to get my status upgraded instantly. I was a bit worried about this since we were leaving at 5 am. I called Starwood over the weekend and they upgraded my status to gold instantly. This is good through February 2014. All I mentioned was my promotion and the scenario. They granted the gold!

I was also offered this on a previous call but I declined it as it was only good till early 2013.

Slickw Nov 8, 2012 8:03 am

Not sure if it's appropriate for this thread but I got free SPG Gold today by virtue of having a Platinum American Express card. I called AmEx, they got a Starwood agent on the line, and the Starwood agent gave me Gold status.

mia Nov 8, 2012 8:13 am

Originally Posted by Slickw (Post 19647095)
free SPG Gold today by virtue of having a Platinum American Express card.

This is a published benefit of the Platinum Card, annual fee $450 (USA, higher in other countries). Several discussions in the American Express Membership Rewards forum, including this one:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...uto-renew.html

hard2please Dec 22, 2012 5:11 am

Sorry to bump this thread, but I have a question I didn't see answered yet. I'm planning on using this on a stay in Bangkok next month to get gold. I want to book the room in my name and get the points (and gold status) on my account. However, the only World MC we have is in my husband's name. (He will be staying with me.) Do they require that the c.c. you pay with be in the name of the person whose account is credited? I'd hate to go and have him pay with his MC (with a forex fee!) and then be denied gold status.

Anyone have any experience with this scenario? TIA

Henwurst Dec 22, 2012 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by hard2please (Post 19904570)
Sorry to bump this thread, but I have a question I didn't see answered yet. I'm planning on using this on a stay in Bangkok next month to get gold. I want to book the room in my name and get the points (and gold status) on my account. However, the only World MC we have is in my husband's name. (He will be staying with me.) Do they require that the c.c. you pay with be in the name of the person whose account is credited? I'd hate to go and have him pay with his MC (with a forex fee!) and then be denied gold status.

Anyone have any experience with this scenario? TIA

I am in a similar situation. I was added as an additional user, so now I have a world elite mastercard with my name on it even though it is not my account. Not sure if we actually end up using that hotel night, but if we do I'll let you know how it goes.

hard2please Dec 23, 2012 5:17 am

Originally Posted by Henwurst (Post 19908492)
I am in a similar situation. I was added as an additional user, so now I have a world elite mastercard with my name on it even though it is not my account. Not sure if we actually end up using that hotel night, but if we do I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks! And if our trip comes first, I'll let YOU know...:D

Anybody else? Surely someone has done this (or tried to and failed)

Dolphinyong Jan 2, 2013 5:10 am

My mum stayed at SPG hotels in Asia from 22 Dec till 25 Dec. It's her 1st stay with SPG.

1 room booked from 22 Dec till 25 Dec, 2 rooms booked from 23 Dec till 25 Dec.
2stays/3nights were credited on my mum accounts on 27 Dec. I did register her for this promotion, but she used Visa to pay for her room. Now her account is showing SPG gold status.

Has the points/stay credit posted correctly? The rate was about 180 USD/night, and she got around 950 points in total.

Should I ask why is her account upgraded to Gold? I guess not...

Regards.