FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   [Targeted] Free SPG Gold with just one stay in Asia Pacific (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/1324509-targeted-free-spg-gold-just-one-stay-asia-pacific.html)

Andain Aug 7, 2012 4:08 pm

I signed up for this offer a while back, and I just stayed at a SPG property in Bangkok this July. A few days after I checked out, I logged on to see if my points had posted and noticed I was upgraded to Gold.

My MC however, is not a World MasterCard as far as I know, it's just a regular MC from a Norwegian bank called DnB.

lsed Aug 8, 2012 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by Corridor! (Post 18343225)
Starwood said that the it would be valid for the year of your stay plus one additional year. If you stay this year, it will be valid till the end of 2013.

Originally Posted by kaka (Post 18372349)
or technically Feb 2014.

Sorry why would it be 2014 Feb?

So it seems the best time would be to do this in Jan 2013 to get status till end 2014?

lsed Aug 8, 2012 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by Andain (Post 19077932)
I signed up for this offer a while back, and I just stayed at a SPG property in Bangkok this July. A few days after I checked out, I logged on to see if my points had posted and noticed I was upgraded to Gold.

My MC however, is not a World MasterCard as far as I know, it's just a regular MC from a Norwegian bank called DnB.

Thanks thats excellent. I have a few normal master cards. Saves me from having to apply a World one.

Now to look for hotels in Thailand or Malaysia

Corridor! Aug 8, 2012 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by lsed (Post 19084789)
Sorry why would it be 2014 Feb?

So it seems the best time would be to do this in Jan 2013 to get status till end 2014?

I didn't understand the response either. I would agree that the best time to take advantage of this offer is January. Then you are gold for almost two years. I asked Starwood about this and they told me the same thing.

WEEBOBBY Aug 10, 2012 3:22 am

i am currently spg gold which expires in february
i dont think my spending on my spg amex will be enough to qualify for another year of gold
the only way would be to keep my amex platinum which i am keen to drop due to the £450 fee in UK.

This offer would be brilliant as I am in Australia and Kuala Lumpur in January.

Has there been any definate clarification on what MASTERCARDS are acceptable ?

Mine looks like it will work as its a "YourPoints World MasterCard"
http://www.rbs.co.uk/personal/credit.../g1/world.ashx

this offer is really good.
what if you are already gold but take up this offer just to extend your membership? (i would be staying in january but my gold expires in february)

lastly i have registered on the SPG website for the offer.
What do you do now ?? Just make a booking on the SPG website with your MASTERCARD?

Preacher7 Aug 22, 2012 10:16 am

I am staying at the Le Meridien, Delhi next month. I've registered for the promo, paid with my World Mastercard, but booked the hotel through hotels.com. Will I receive SPG points for the stay, and will I still recieve the Gold status by booking through a 3rd party website?

mia Aug 22, 2012 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Preacher7 (Post 19172088)
... Will I receive SPG points for the stay, and will I still recieve the Gold status by booking through a 3rd party website?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...y-credits.html

smilinganddialing Aug 22, 2012 5:56 pm

Getting SPG Gold is pretty easy - call in and ask for it nicely. Just say you travel a lot and were wondering if there was any way they'd make you Gold.

tpr Aug 27, 2012 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Preacher7 (Post 19172088)
I am staying at the Le Meridien, Delhi next month. I've registered for the promo, paid with my World Mastercard, but booked the hotel through hotels.com. Will I receive SPG points for the stay, and will I still recieve the Gold status by booking through a 3rd party website?

You can call SPG and ask if they see a reservation under your name (not Expedia etc.) and if you're going to collect points for this stay.

tpr Aug 27, 2012 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by WEEBOBBY (Post 19094321)
i am currently spg gold which expires in february
i dont think my spending on my spg amex will be enough to qualify for another year of gold
the only way would be to keep my amex platinum which i am keen to drop due to the £450 fee in UK.

This offer would be brilliant as I am in Australia and Kuala Lumpur in January.

Has there been any definate clarification on what MASTERCARDS are acceptable ?

Mine looks like it will work as its a "YourPoints World MasterCard"
http://www.rbs.co.uk/personal/credit.../g1/world.ashx

this offer is really good.
what if you are already gold but take up this offer just to extend your membership? (i would be staying in january but my gold expires in february)

lastly i have registered on the SPG website for the offer.
What do you do now ?? Just make a booking on the SPG website with your MASTERCARD?

I did the following to get the status:
1/ registered for promotion
2/ went to spg.com to book the participating hotel
3/ paid with my MC that has "WORLD" word on it (Chase Continental OnePass Plus)
4/ got the status ~1 week after check out

chinny123 Aug 27, 2012 7:01 pm

world MC not necessary?

Lurker for a while, wanted to post with another datapoint.

I recently signed up for this promo just for fun, seeing as I don't have a World MC. I had a stay coming up with SPG in Bangkok, which I paid for with my SPG Amex (yes, I know, I forgot about the 3% foreign transaction fee). Checked my SPG account a couple days after my stay...voila, went from Preferred Plus to Gold. Can't think of any other possible reason why I would suddenly have status other than this, even though I didn't use a Mastercard.

metoo Aug 27, 2012 8:59 pm

I paid a non-refundable rate for the Le Meridien Kuala Lumpur for February 2013. I have Gold Status and is supposed to expire in February 2013 but noticed in the last couple of weeks that the expiration has changed to February 2014.

Goosh Aug 28, 2012 9:28 am

Originally Posted by metoo (Post 19205957)
I paid a non-refundable rate for the Le Meridien Kuala Lumpur for February 2013. I have Gold Status and is supposed to expire in February 2013 but noticed in the last couple of weeks that the expiration has changed to February 2014.

I was hoping for similar results for a friend of mine, but it hasn't worked out quite as nicely for him. We're going to Bangkok in November and I signed him up for the promo and booked a pre-paid non-refundable rate about 3 weeks ago and there has been no change to his status. Hopefully it still happens after the actual stay.

MrJBoy Sep 4, 2012 8:23 pm

So I'm already Gold, and for next year I'm already booked enough for Gold.
Coincidentally the last stay this year is at The Westin Tokyo which is an eligible hotel for this promo. I have AAdvantage World MasterCard.
It sounds like this promo doesn't do anything to me, correct?

Let's say if I stay an eligible hotel between Jan-March next year, what happens?
Still it doesn't do anything to me just because I will be Gold next year (until Feb 2014) anyway, or give me one extra year Gold status until Feb 2015?

Hiro32 Sep 23, 2012 8:50 pm

Is this promo just for non elite members?