FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   [Targeted] Free SPG Gold with just one stay in Asia Pacific (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/1324509-targeted-free-spg-gold-just-one-stay-asia-pacific.html)

PaulMSN Mar 13, 2012 8:48 pm

My US Air MC says "Premier World" in the top right and "WORLD" just above the MasterCard logo, so I think it qualifies. I signed up successfully. Does Starwood have a branded MC? I've only had the AmEx.

emax48 Mar 13, 2012 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by TorontoSingh (Post 18194875)
There is nothing in the T&C that excludes this, so I think free night should work. Once someone has tried, please report back!

Don't count on it.

From the T&C:

An eligible stay is defined as one (1) or more consecutive nights stay paying a qualifying rate at any Starwood Participating Property regardless of the number of check-ins or check-outs that occur, and posted to the Qualified SPG Member's Starwood Preferred GuestŪ account.

A qualifying rate is any rate that is eligible to earn StarpointsŪ in the Starwood Preferred GuestŪ Program. Definition of Eligible Rates can be found at www.spg.com/t&c under section 4B.4

TorontoSingh Mar 13, 2012 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by emax48 (Post 18196704)
Don't count on it.

From the T&C:

An eligible stay is defined as one (1) or more consecutive nights stay paying a qualifying rate at any Starwood Participating Property regardless of the number of check-ins or check-outs that occur, and posted to the Qualified SPG Member's Starwood Preferred GuestŪ account.

A qualifying rate is any rate that is eligible to earn StarpointsŪ in the Starwood Preferred GuestŪ Program. Definition of Eligible Rates can be found at www.spg.com/t&c under section 4B.4

Thanks

biggestbopper Mar 13, 2012 11:22 pm

Just checked and see that the Chase Ink Bold biz card I recently got (with 50K bonus :D) is a World MC.

Might be time for those without an Ink Bold to make the move. @:-)

pmat2009 Mar 13, 2012 11:32 pm

Can I book and pay for a family member's stay to qualify?

Daggett76 Mar 14, 2012 12:28 am

I'm going to Hong Kong in two weeks. So I could sign up for the US Air 40k card (people have reported they get the card fairly quickly after being approved), and then book at night at the Westin Resort in Macau for HKD 1030, pay with the US Airways card and become instant gold? Tempting...

MTHTravel Mar 14, 2012 6:45 am

I got my Gold status with this promotion, although I only have a MasterCard, and not a World MC.

yscleo Mar 14, 2012 1:03 pm

Too bad Hawaii is not included, even though it is in the Pacific.

JapanFlyerT Mar 14, 2012 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by biggestbopper (Post 18196889)
Just checked and see that the Chase Ink Bold biz card I recently got (with 50K bonus :D) is a World MC.

Might be time for those without an Ink Bold to make the move. @:-)

Great news, thanks.
Living in Asia means it is hard to miss getting Gold here, plus we have a Sheraton for $94 just down the road. Might be time for a mattress run!

Ducati Mar 15, 2012 12:41 am

Originally Posted by MTHTravel (Post 18198105)
I got my Gold status with this promotion, although I only have a MasterCard, and not a World MC.

Who issued the MC? Which airline card?

I'm wondering how SPG knows which MC is a World version? First few digits of the CC?

srdshelly Mar 15, 2012 5:28 am

[QUOTE=TorontoSingh;18194352]http://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefer...ml?promoID=WMQ

Earn instant Gold Preferred membership plus bonus StarpointsŪ.

Skip Preferred GuestŪ member status and head straight to Gold Preferred when you use your World MasterCard for your next stay at Starwood Hotels & Resorts anywhere in Asia Pacific between April 1, 2011 and March 31, 2013.
Gold Preferred members enjoy 50% more bonus StarpointsŪ, automatic room upgrades at check-in, 4pm late checkout and other exclusive privileges.

I'm actually booked for a reward stay in the region during the timeframe in question, but reading the SPG Forum, people are saying Gold status isn't really that valuable to them. My question is: Should I cancel the reward and pay for the night instead, in order to get Gold status? How valuable is it really? I am not a heavy user of SPG properties - perhaps 3-5 nights a year.

MTHTravel Mar 15, 2012 5:42 am

Originally Posted by Ducati (Post 18203743)
Who issued the MC? Which airline card?

I'm wondering how SPG knows which MC is a World version? First few digits of the CC?

The card is issued by CornerCard Switzerland.

Ducati Mar 15, 2012 12:00 pm

[QUOTE=srdshelly;18204368]

Originally Posted by TorontoSingh (Post 18194352)
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefer...ml?promoID=WMQ

Earn instant Gold Preferred membership plus bonus StarpointsŪ.

Skip Preferred GuestŪ member status and head straight to Gold Preferred when you use your World MasterCard for your next stay at Starwood Hotels & Resorts anywhere in Asia Pacific between April 1, 2011 and March 31, 2013.
Gold Preferred members enjoy 50% more bonus StarpointsŪ, automatic room upgrades at check-in, 4pm late checkout and other exclusive privileges.

I'm actually booked for a reward stay in the region during the timeframe in question, but reading the SPG Forum, people are saying Gold status isn't really that valuable to them. My question is: Should I cancel the reward and pay for the night instead, in order to get Gold status? How valuable is it really? I am not a heavy user of SPG properties - perhaps 3-5 nights a year.

For light users, I would agree with the FT consensus. Traditionally, an extra point and possible, not guaranteed upgrades are not worth the hassle in trying to get GOLD. But, in this case, if SPG is giving it out with just one night stay, it may be worth it depending on how much you'll use SPG properties. Obviously, spending the least amount on a single night is ideal.

charlesswe Mar 20, 2012 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by MTHTravel (Post 18198105)

You mean during a previous run of the same promotion?

The qualifying stays start in April.

JapanFlyerT Mar 22, 2012 10:13 pm

[QUOTE=srdshelly;18204368]

Originally Posted by TorontoSingh (Post 18194352)

The irony here is that SPG offers Amex, and that also provides extra Starpoints. So using the Mastercard for one stay, then reverting back to the SPG Amex is the way to go it seems. Of course if you Mastercard is FX fee-free, that is yet another consideration to weigh against the 2.7% Amex charge.