Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[LEAVING Marriott] W Paris Opéra, France [Master Thread]

[LEAVING Marriott] W Paris Opéra, France [Master Thread]

Old Jun 6, 2015, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Staying here now

Had my Y24 approved (for a 12pm check-in), and with my rejected SNA, I wasn't anticipating an upgrade at check-in (nor was given one).

Great location, like the newness of it compared to the Westin.

But this is the smallest SPG room I have stayed in (~250 sq. ft), it has the ridiculous sink in the bedroom thing, and the gym is pretty miniscule.

Hope I end on a high note w/breakfast tomorrow! It's a full one which is good.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Had my Y24 approved (for a 12pm check-in), and with my rejected SNA, I wasn't anticipating an upgrade at check-in (nor was given one).

Great location, like the newness of it compared to the Westin.

But this is the smallest SPG room I have stayed in (~250 sq. ft), it has the ridiculous sink in the bedroom thing, and the gym is pretty miniscule.

definitely let us know how it was. i'm heading there next week...i'm also hoping breakfast is a highlight, especially for a multi-day stay, since it appears upgrades can be tricky to get there.

Last edited by karenkay; Jun 10, 2015 at 3:29 pm
Old Jun 10, 2015, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP

This description sums up my stay, along with no walls/doors/covers between bathroom area and bedroom.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by karenkay
definitely let us know how it was. i'm heading there next week...i'm also hoping breakfast is a highlight, especially for a multi-day stay, since it appears upgrades can be tricky to get there.
Breakfast is good - again, in one of my other comparisons, it's not SGS/LRM Shanghai good, but pretty solid.

For me this one is all about location - easy w/the Roissybus to/from CDG, near a bunch of different Metro lines.

As for the hotel itself...you're paying 20K points for a pretty mediocre experience, especially if you stay stuck in a base Wonderful room.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 11:22 pm

Breakfast is good - again, in one of my other comparisons, it's not SGS/LRM Shanghai good, but pretty solid.

For me this one is all about location - easy w/the Roissybus to/from CDG, near a bunch of different Metro lines.

As for the hotel itself...you're paying 20K points for a pretty mediocre experience, especially if you stay stuck in a base Wonderful room.
Stayed here a few weeks ago for three nights. Got spectacular room with view of the Opera House (i.e. not much of an upgrade) but I do enjoy the design and the liveliness of the area... though yes, crossing the road in the surrounding area can be hectic.

I do prefer the old breakfast back when Arola was still housed in here. Had interesting Spanish items with great jamon etc (I do enjoy tapas a lot)... now they're gone. Just my personal preference but I do enjoy seeing and tasting new things at the breakfast spread.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
We had a great stay here in June. Were upgraded after two nights in a regular room with no view to a "fabulous suite" (fantastic suite?) with a view of the opera house for our last three nights. The concierge staff was terrific, although we had to do our own researching for restaurants--they tended to recommend places that are tourist friendly, which is exactly not what we wanted. They speak excellent English (and german) and were extremely accommodating.

Rooms are small, which is correct for Europe, but well appointed. Location was awesome, close to the metro and easy to get around. I'd stay again in a minute.

Breakfast at the hotel was fine, although I'll echo others in noting that it's not an amazing spread, just a good one. It's a great deal on a multi-day stay as your platinum amenity, however! They might not volunteer it, but you can order eggs as well as part of your platinum breakfast. The service is pretty awful, even taking into account the difference between Parisian and American standards--when the barista is clearing tables in an empty restaurant instead of delivering coffee to a customer while said coffee cools on the counter, that's not good. As with a poster above, we had an issue with a dirty glass (not my husband's shade of lipstick)...but it was promptly rectified and they were very apologetic--frankly I wish they'd made as big a deal about getting hot drinks out promptly.

We used uber to get around--days before the strike--with mostly great success. We both loved the hotel, and I wish I'd booked our last night in Paris here as well instead of close to the airport after our three week European jaunt. Would have been worth fighting traffic to have had one last night there, even without an upgrade.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 4:20 pm

Programs: Starwood/Hyatt/IHG-PLAT/Hilton-DIA
if you guys had to pick between a free night at this hotel or hyatt madelline paris, which would you choose and why?

They cost the same for me in this situation, I just want to choose the better hotel.

TIA!
Old Sep 27, 2015, 12:33 am
Used to be 'jwienner'

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
I'm very underwhelmed by this property. The rooms are TINY.. Of 2 stays in the past 18 months, both of my SNA we rejected, and I was given zero upgrade. The person checking in almost laughed when I asked if they had anything available to be upgraded to.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 1:02 am

I have the paris W hotel booked at $198 starhot rate in october but I also have the hyatt madeline booked for 25K chase points (already staying at park hyatt for 2 free chase nights and its not available for a third award night unfortunately or we would be staying the third night there for 30K)

If you were me which would you choose and why?
Old Sep 27, 2015, 2:50 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by rb23lb
I have the paris W hotel booked at $198 starhot rate in october but I also have the hyatt madeline booked for 25K chase points (already staying at park hyatt for 2 free chase nights and its not available for a third award night unfortunately or we would be staying the third night there for 30K)

If you were me which would you choose and why?
Your profile says SPG Gold, so expect nothing at the W. As Hyatt Diamond, you'd get free breakfast at Hyatt Madeleine. You'll overall have a better experience at the latter, but given the rates ($198 vs some $350 worth of Hyatt points), I'd probably pick the W and find a better redemption for my Hyatt points.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by jpdx
Your profile says SPG Gold, so expect nothing at the W. As Hyatt Diamond, you'd get free breakfast at Hyatt Madeleine. You'll overall have a better experience at the latter, but given the rates ($198 vs some $350 worth of Hyatt points), I'd probably pick the W and find a better redemption for my Hyatt points.
Thanks for reply- these were my same initial thoughts and hearing it again confirms this.

+ starhot gives a nice perk of 50% off food and beverage if necessary to eat at W
Old Oct 21, 2015, 3:55 am

Programs: Leisure Traveler: Delta DM, Starwood PM50, Global Entry, NEXUS, CLEAR
Just a fair warning to anyone wanting to stay at this property around this time....

My wife and I checked in on Monday, October 19 (2015) for our seventh anniverssary. We booked a Wonderful Room at €415.10/night for 3 nights and I applied 3 Suite Night Awards to the stay (which cleared) and was upgraded to a Marvelous Suite. We were quite excited and had looked forward to staying at this property for a long time, being W fans across the globe.

After a Transatlantic from ATL-CDG we opted for a quick afternoon nap. Woke up right after we laid down to these loud banging/chanting protests right in front of the front of the building (which every—so I'm told—suite faces). I'm told from @spgassist that the culprits are Luxe & Tradition, and that they are protesting several hotels around Paris (I haven't seen them anywhere else, yet). Angry, I went downstairs to investigate and was asked if I had been warned of this when we checked-in, like this was normal. Nope.

Went back upstairs and wife is in bad spirits and just needs some rest.

Went back downstairs and spoke with the manager who put us in a Cozy room for a couple hours (on the other side of the building). That was great of him and we really, really appreciated the offer and the sleep. Next morning, woke up to the same noise. Manager offered to refund our Suite Night Awards. Come back after a day out in Paris and there's a note saying they can't refund the SNA's, but offering Starpoints.

We'll see how this story pans out. I've got in touch with a couple buddies in the Starwood family working NYC/SF on the offer and how I should be treated as an "HVC." I will say the Starpoints offer they gave me was a bit lowball compared to what my associates in the 'States were suggesting.

Here's a video of the protests:

Stayer beware. Don't burn your SNA's here until you're sure this thing is over. Really wish we'd booked at the Prince de Galles.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 6:10 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Here is a French article about the strike
http://www.lexpress.fr/actualites/1/...t_1723900.html

Apparently Starwood hires Luxe&Tradition that then hires the workers who feel that they are not properly compensated. The strike started September 29 and as far as I can tell is still continuing (see here: http://paris.demosphere.eu/rv/42632 ).

And the last article seems to indicate they were also protesting at the Prince de Galles.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by SgFred
Completed my blog review for my stay in April.

No suites were available for upgrade and platinum gift was used for breakfast (worth it considering the prices of food in Paris!)

Love the location and easy access to Metro

Just a small issue with dirty bowls during the stay and feedback was given via the post-stay survey.

http://goodhotelreview.blogspot.com/...6/w-paris.html
@UA-NYC @SgFred it looks like you both have had the breakfast at the W and the Westin. Which did you think was better food and selection?

Originally Posted by karenkay
We had a great stay here in June. Were upgraded after two nights in a regular room with no view to a "fabulous suite" (fantastic suite?) with a view of the opera house for our last three nights. The concierge staff was terrific, although we had to do our own researching for restaurants--they tended to recommend places that are tourist friendly, which is exactly not what we wanted. They speak excellent English (and german) and were extremely accommodating.

Rooms are small, which is correct for Europe, but well appointed. Location was awesome, close to the metro and easy to get around. I'd stay again in a minute.

Breakfast at the hotel was fine, although I'll echo others in noting that it's not an amazing spread, just a good one. It's a great deal on a multi-day stay as your platinum amenity, however! They might not volunteer it, but you can order eggs as well as part of your platinum breakfast. The service is pretty awful, even taking into account the difference between Parisian and American standards--when the barista is clearing tables in an empty restaurant instead of delivering coffee to a customer while said coffee cools on the counter, that's not good. As with a poster above, we had an issue with a dirty glass (not my husband's shade of lipstick)...but it was promptly rectified and they were very apologetic--frankly I wish they'd made as big a deal about getting hot drinks out promptly.

We used uber to get around--days before the strike--with mostly great success. We both loved the hotel, and I wish I'd booked our last night in Paris here as well instead of close to the airport after our three week European jaunt. Would have been worth fighting traffic to have had one last night there, even without an upgrade.
Did they tell you that the total breakfast with the hot eggs was part of the free Platinum amenity? Reading older posts led me to believe the free Plat breakfast only included pastries and cold meats.

I am trying to decide between W and Westin in Paris and I think it's going to come down to what I get for the free Plat breakfast
Old Mar 25, 2016, 7:37 am

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by fr33b13
@UA-NYC @SgFred it looks like you both have had the breakfast at the W and the Westin. Which did you think was better food and selection?

Did they tell you that the total breakfast with the hot eggs was part of the free Platinum amenity? Reading older posts led me to believe the free Plat breakfast only included pastries and cold meats.

I am trying to decide between W and Westin in Paris and I think it's going to come down to what I get for the free Plat breakfast
W is better in terms of quality and Westin for range. I would choose W for service was superior and the overall impression.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.