Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Element MIA Miami International Airport [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Element MIA Miami International Airport [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2012, 5:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat, etc.
Arrow Element MIA Miami International Airport [Master Thread]

Stayed at the property Sunday night. The hotel is located in a remote area that is very quiet. No businesses there, so if you don't have a car you're sort of isolated. I liked the fact that it was away from the hustle bustle of the airport. There is parking all around the gated property. I think they intend on charging $9 per night once they get their gate card system in order... for now it appears to be free. There seemed to be a lot of shuttles around, but heard the desk mention to another guest that it doesn't run 24 hours yet (which seemed odd), so the guest needed to arrange for a taxi for a very early check-in.

The front desk staff is young, learning, but very friendly and eager to please. In fact, pretty much all the staff I met seemed to be on an "opening high"... all had a great attitude which was very nice.

The place is brand spankin new... with the Element look, ie. very modern, stark, a lot of white. The pool, located just off the main lobby, appeared to be open.

My room was upgraded (Platinum) to a room with a king bed and a small living room area with sofabed and 2nd tv, separated by a wall. Also had an efficiency kitchen with a full size fridge, microwave, toaster, plates, glasses, a few pots/pans, etc. and a view of the small pond/lake? in the back. The hotel appears to be in the flight path, after takeoff, as you see planes climbing as they approach the hotel. It was pretty loud but didn't really bother me as I had to get up early anyway. There was also a desk sort of separating the living room space and the kitchen.

Breakfast in the morning, located in the lobby area, was simple and ok, nicely presented. There was scrambled eggs, breads, yogurts, cereals, juice.
I liked their electric coffee machine for espresso.

The hotel is fully functional but according to a desk person they haven't completed the rooms on the first 2 floors yet.

I like this option for a stay in conjunction with a flight at MIA but would look further if you are in need of a full service hotel or will be spending more time in Miami.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by Travel Pro
Stayed at the property Sunday night. The hotel is located in a remote area that is very quiet. No businesses there, so if you don't have a car you're sort of isolated. I liked the fact that it was away from the hustle bustle of the airport. There is parking all around the gated property. I think they intend on charging $9 per night once they get their gate card system in order... for now it appears to be free. There seemed to be a lot of shuttles around, but heard the desk mention to another guest that it doesn't run 24 hours yet (which seemed odd), so the guest needed to arrange for a taxi for a very early check-in.

The front desk staff is young, learning, but very friendly and eager to please. In fact, pretty much all the staff I met seemed to be on an "opening high"... all had a great attitude which was very nice.

The place is brand spankin new... with the Element look, ie. very modern, stark, a lot of white. The pool, located just off the main lobby, appeared to be open.

My room was upgraded (Platinum) to a room with a king bed and a small living room area with sofabed and 2nd tv, separated by a wall. Also had an efficiency kitchen with a full size fridge, microwave, toaster, plates, glasses, a few pots/pans, etc. and a view of the small pond/lake? in the back. The hotel appears to be in the flight path, after takeoff, as you see planes climbing as they approach the hotel. It was pretty loud but didn't really bother me as I had to get up early anyway. There was also a desk sort of separating the living room space and the kitchen.

Breakfast in the morning, located in the lobby area, was simple and ok, nicely presented. There was scrambled eggs, breads, yogurts, cereals, juice.
I liked their electric coffee machine for espresso.

The hotel is fully functional but according to a desk person they haven't completed the rooms on the first 2 floors yet.

I like this option for a stay in conjunction with a flight at MIA but would look further if you are in need of a full service hotel or will be spending more time in Miami.
Thanks for the comprehensive review.

Just one question: is the hotel walkable to the Car Rental Centre? I was thinking of doing a one-night stay here upon getting into MIA late-night, and then pick up my rental car the next morning.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 11:06 pm

Programs: AC*E50K, CX Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
Thanks for the comprehensive review.

Just one question: is the hotel walkable to the Car Rental Centre? I was thinking of doing a one-night stay here upon getting into MIA late-night, and then pick up my rental car the next morning.
It's actually more difficult than it looks on the map.

the RCC is very close, but you'll have to walk on roads without sidewalks. Also, I don't think there's an entrance for pedestrians. The entrance for cars on the ground level is on the southwest side of the building. It took me maybe 20 - 25 mins to get there.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat, etc.
Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
Not what I'd consider walkable. I would first ask if the hotel shuttle would drop you. If not, a short taxi ride would be better.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 9:02 am

Thanks to above posters for the heads up on the location of the RCC. I guess I will have to rethink my plans.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 5:59 pm

Programs: DL-MM/FC/FO AA-EXP/MM Starwood-Platinum Marriott-Platinum Hilton-Gold Hyatt-Diamond
I would not recommend doing a walkabout in the area of the RCC. It is not the safest place to be.

JMHO

TW
Old Feb 29, 2012, 6:06 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, Alaska.
Thx for the review.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 4:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Gold
I stayed at the Element the night before last on a quick overnight business trip to MIA. Agree with everything the OP said. Super friendly staff just figuring out where everything is. My room had the kitchen, a small desk/work area, sectional sofa and a king-sized bed. Internet was fast enough and room comfy.

Compared to my handful of stays at the Aloft PHL airport, it was definitely a lot quieter, without the music and bar. Loved the multiple work areas - made it easier for my colleague and I to work on our presentation. I remember the food at the Aloft being better - more interesting pantry choices and breakfast sandwiches, rather than the scrambled eggs that look like little yellow pellets (powdered, maybe? Like at Holiday Inns).

The area has nothing to recommend it other than proximity the airport.

I think this place will only get better as they move past the break-in period. Looking forward to going back.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 6:56 am

Will be there in two weeks, look forward to checking it out and will report what I find! ^
Old Mar 5, 2012, 10:55 am

Programs: AA PLT, *Wood PLT, HHonors Gold
As of March 5, pool is still closed

Originally Posted by Travel Pro
The pool, located just off the main lobby, appeared to be open.
Just wanted to update, that I just called and the pool is still not open. I have reservations for both here and the Sheraton Miami airport held for March 12, was really looking to check out my first Element, but with kids coming for one night on way to Costa Rica need a pool for sure.

Lady at the desk said they were still waiting on the permit and could not give any clear indication of when they would receive. "Still waiting on the city"......

Cheers
Old Mar 23, 2012, 4:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold for Life, Air Canada 75K, AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum
I just completed a two-night stay here. Miami hotels were at a high-occupancy level -- the only room rates seemed to be quite expensive -- so I booked the Element since my business meetings were in the nearby Blue Lagoon complex.

As instructed on the hotel's website, I telephoned the hotel when I arrived in baggage claim. I was given instructions to proceed to the departures level where the hotel van would pass by to pick me up. After about 10 minutes of waiting (in the fantastically warm Miami weather), the white and green Element van came by. The driver was courteous and provided me with a bottle of water. It was about a 5 minute drive to the hotel.

Check-in was pleasant. I was asked if I preferred a room on a higher or lower level and was informed about complimentary wine and hot food being available between 6 and 8 p.m. My new Gold status (having dropped from Platinum on March 1) was recognized and I was thanked for my business.

My room was set up like a stylish efficiency/studio apartment. It had a kitchen with all the necessary cooking items and a full-size fridge. I didn't cook in the room since a hot and cold breakfast was available each morning.

The room's television didn't work properly. I called the front desk and maintenance was sent immediately to my room. I was advised that if the television could not be fixed I would be moved to another room. Fortunately, since I had unpacked, the television was fixed and was up and running with 70+ channels of entertainment, including versions of my favourite show, Law & Order (Classic, Criminal Intent, and Special Victims Unit), on three different stations. I watched as much L&O before going to sleep to look reasonably "fresh" for the next day's meetings.

Check-out after my second night was speedy. The van driver informed me that he could take me to the airport whenever I was ready. Like the first driver, he was pleasant.

While not my first choice hotel to stay near the Miami airport, the hotel provided good service and value for the room rate charged. I would stay at the Element again but I would rent a car (there's free parking) since its location is a bit isolated as there is nothing to walk to in the immediate vicinity.

Happy travels!

Last edited by AmericanMontrealer; Mar 23, 2012 at 4:30 am
Old Mar 25, 2012, 1:22 pm

Thank you for your interest in the Element Miami International Airport for your upcoming visit to Miami, FL.

This letter is to inform you that we will not be able to open as a Starwood Property until February 9, 2012. Unfortunately, this means we are unable to honor your reservation as it was originally booked and confirmed.

As a valued SPG member, please be assured that your stay is still eligible for SPG benefits. If your reservation is moved to a non-Starwood hotel, we will post the stay to your account as soon as our property is open and operating as a Starwood Hotel.

HAS ANYONE RECEIVED SPG POINTS/STAY CREDIT AS A RESULT OF BEING MOVED TO A NON SPG PROPERTY? Thank you in advance for responding.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 7:06 pm

Location: Washington, DC/Central Pacific Coast of Costa Rica - Los Suenos Resort - Playa Herradura
Programs: Delta Plat/SPG Plat
Element MIA - really disgusting

I don't post often but when I do it is because I feel really strongly - either positive or negative...so here goes.

Stayed at the new Element at MIA last week. Last minute changes to my schedule from Costa Rica required a MIA layover.

A few years back the CBS Affiliate in Atlanta had an expose on hotels not cleaning glasses properly but rather having maids just wipe them with their house cleaning rags. Since seeing that I have always used the wrapped plastic cups. I still look at the glasses and usually with disgust just put them back.

However the glasses at the Element in Miami took me back - they had fingerprints. ...smears from a dirty rag and not suitable for use - much worse then usual.

I immediately took the worst offender down to the front desk, minutes after checking in, explained the situation, handed over one of the glasses and gave the front desk clerk my card and asked that the GM email in the morning.

That was a week ago.

No email, no call or anything.

I am not a fussy guy - I am in the hospitality business and often refuse housekeeping simply because I would rather have the staff take care others since I am pretty tidy. I DO expect a clean room upon arrival and really prefer glasses that have not been wiped down with a rag that also cleaned the bathroom.

The hotel itself is fine - a little remote - but the lack of a response is not good.

Am I off base here? Thanks!

Mark Mead
www.meadbrown.com

Old Mar 26, 2012, 8:18 pm

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
Yuck...I don't think you are off-base at all. Did you take a photo of the offending glass? @:-) A strategic email to SPG might yield good things, if so. :-: Double-disgusting since this is a hotel that is less than 1-year old...I hope that this is due to an untrained housekeeping staff......especially troubling due to the lack of Hyatt properties near MIA.

Last edited by theblakefish; Mar 26, 2012 at 10:46 pm
Old Mar 26, 2012, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by theblakefish
Yuck...I don't think you are off-base at all. Did you take a photo of the offending glass? @:-) A strategic email to Gold Passport might yield good things, if so. :-: Double-disgusting since this is a hotel that is less than 1-year old...I hope that this is due to an untrained housekeeping staff......especially troubling due to the lack of Hyatt properties near MIA.
Gold Passport? Hyatt?

To OP:
You know not to use the glasses. Ignore them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.