Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Discussion: SPG Lifetime™ Gold and SPG Lifetime™ Platinum status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 25, 2017, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
It can take up to 7 business days from the day you qualified for your Lifetime Platinum status to be picked up by the system.

Starwood / Marriott merger
Q : What will happen to my Lifetime Status when the programs merge together in the future?
A : Rest assured we will always recognize your Lifetime Status, whether it is today in your earned program or in the future with a new, combined program.
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#what-will-happen-to-my-lifetime-status-when-the-programs-merge-together-in-the-future
Print Wikipost

Discussion: SPG Lifetime™ Gold and SPG Lifetime™ Platinum status

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2017, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA Platinum 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by X-ON
Ok finally SPG got back to me confirming that prior to 2003 the system only can track lifetime nights not points accumulation. No idea if this will have any impact on the design of any new LT program.
I think there are problems with nights before mid-2004 (and perhaps even later). I got my master excel from Starwood and the first stay with 7/3/04, but I can find AMEX charges for Starwood Hotels (one in 1999, two in 2002, three in 2003, and two in 2004 not on my statement). And I didn't look very hard at all. Of course, I don't have copy of invoices, but I do have a record of the charges.

I haven't raised this with Starwood, because I don't know whether it will matter for the new lifetime program. I'll end this year with 9 years Platinum in Starwood (with slightly less than 600 nights) and 422 nights with Marriott with just less than 1M Marriott Lifetime Points. It's anyone's guess whether this is good enough for lifetime Platinum in the go-forward combined program.

BTW....there are more nights in my SPG master statement (by about 50) than in my SPG dashboard. I have no idea why. But I do know that there are early nights that are missing.

And it does say that I was a member since 1999 so this confirms the likelihood of stays before 2004.
Old May 15, 2017, 6:26 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Originally Posted by uxb
I suspect there will be some combination of LT nights and points as Marriott is the successor programme. I attained LT at SPG because I'm being told it will be grandfathered in.
I did the same thing, and do expect to be grandfathered in - the question is at what level? With SPG Gold be grandfathered in as MR Gold? I hope so but as you know they are not equal.

If I get Gold then fine but if not I want some credit for the 350 MR nights I have!

The MR points requirement is the issue. If based solely on nights I have over 600 in combined nights.
Old May 17, 2017, 1:02 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
I did the same thing, and do expect to be grandfathered in - the question is at what level? With SPG Gold be grandfathered in as MR Gold? I hope so but as you know they are not equal.

If I get Gold then fine but if not I want some credit for the 350 MR nights I have!

The MR points requirement is the issue. If based solely on nights I have over 600 in combined nights.
My guess is that the "grandfathering" going to be limited to being matched to a tier similar to what you actually currently have. That means that LT SPG GOLD going to be matched to a tier similar to just SPG GOLD aka MPG SILVER+... However what will be interesting is what variables that determine LT tier. If LT nights would determine MPG LT tiers then for example if you are LT SPG GOLD w/ 300 nights (MR+SPG LT nights) you most likely will be LT "MPG SILVER+" but if you are LT SPG GOLD w/ 1050 nights (MR+SPG LT nights) you most likely will be promoted to LT MPG Top Tier ... Just my guess...
When it comes to LT points accumulation being a varible for LT tiers in MPG it is entire possible, however one problem is that for many accounts in SPG there are missing points data so getting a correct representation of this might turn out to be tricky. Probably one contributing reason for why SPG never choose LT points as a determining factor for LT tier. Anyway it going to be interesting to see how this LT program shapes up... I highly doubt that #years as Elite will make a come back to MPG, since MR got rid of it previously, I guess they had good business reason for doing so.
Old May 17, 2017, 5:17 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy

I have not a clue what that will look like, but you will have some sort of lifetime status w/ Marriott. It may or may not be Gold = Gold, Platinum = Platinum. My advice is to keep staying if you don't have the combined LT nights. If you do, then stay, or go elsewhere.
Old May 22, 2017, 3:22 am

Programs: ex-SPG Platinum, Marriott LG, *G United
SPG Platinum lifetime years

So, I have been SPG platinum since 11/2013, except for being gold early 2016 before re-qualifying later that summer (lifetime gold). By my reckoning this should be a total of 5 years platinum.

2013 (started as gold, qualified plat in November)
2016 (started as gold, qualified plat in May)

Yet my dashboard shows only 3 years as lifetime platinum .. ? Is there some hidden qualification threshold, or maybe 'partial' years do not count?

Last edited by vanabb; May 22, 2017 at 3:23 am Reason: syntax
Old May 22, 2017, 3:40 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
That seems right.

2013 - achieved Plat stays or nights
2014 - achieved Plat stays or nights
2015 - Didnt meet Plat stays or nights requirements
2016 - achieved Plat stays or nights
2017 - Do you now have 25 stays or 50 nights?

So unless you already met the stay or night requirements for 2017, then your LFP status should only be 3 years.
Old May 22, 2017, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
When you qualify for Plat your plat year is the subsequent year, as the prior posted noted...you don't get double credit for the year you qualified IN.
Old May 22, 2017, 7:08 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
When you qualify for Plat your plat year is the subsequent year, as the prior posted noted...you don't get double credit for the year you qualified IN.
For counting lifetime years, it is the year the member meets the Plat requirements (stays or nights).

So in OP's case, for the sake of counting Platinum years for lifetime status, he/she is Platinum 2013 2014 2016 = 3 years
Old May 22, 2017, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I agree. It looks like OP qualified for PLT in 2013 for 2014, re-qualified in 2014 for 2015, skipped a year at Gold, and re-qualified in 2016 for 2017.

Meeting the criteria in November of a year doesn't qualify for that year and the next. (Nor any other month)
Old May 22, 2017, 10:07 am

OP, for your reference:

An "Eligible Platinum Year" is a calendar year during which an SPG Member earned Platinum Preferred Guest status by achieving the Platinum Minimum Requirement during such calendar year’s Qualifying Period. Only a calendar year in which an SPG Member obtains Platinum Preferred Guest status by achieving the Platinum Minimum Requirement will count as an Eligible Platinum Year, regardless of the length of time that such SPG Member will retain the benefits of Platinum Preferred Guest status. For example, if an SPG Member meets the Platinum Minimum Requirement during the 2014 Qualifying Period by earning 102 Eligible Nights and becomes a Platinum Preferred Guest for the remainder of 2014 and for all of 2015, 2014 will count as a single Eligible Platinum Year, but 2015 will not count as an Eligible Platinum Year unless the SPG Member meets the Platinum Minimum Requirement during the 2015 Qualifying Period.
Old May 22, 2017, 1:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What happens if one gets Plat status as a result of matching Plat status from Marriott? Does the year in which one earns the Marriott status (through nights, including rollover nights in particular) found as a SPG Plat year for the purpose of SPG lifetime status?

I'm waiting for my tenth Plat year to count and I already have over a hundred Marriott nights credited for 2017 (including rollover carried forward from 2016). Will linking my accounts give me the tenth year instantly or must I wait for either 25 Starwood stays or 50 Starwood nights, whichever comes first?
Old May 23, 2017, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What happens if one gets Plat status as a result of matching Plat status from Marriott? Does the year in which one earns the Marriott status (through nights, including rollover nights in particular) found as a SPG Plat year for the purpose of SPG lifetime status?

I'm waiting for my tenth Plat year to count and I already have over a hundred Marriott nights credited for 2017 (including rollover carried forward from 2016). Will linking my accounts give me the tenth year instantly or must I wait for either 25 Starwood stays or 50 Starwood nights, whichever comes first?
Credit in one program does not count in the other. The status match is a courtesy to keep us from jumping ship and sticking around to see what we get when they are done. Since you did not "earn" SPG Platinum, it's not a qualifying year.

Now who knows what they will do to merge the programs and what numbers we be brought over. I am 9 nights away from LTP in both programs. I am not traveling like I was so not likely to stay those nights. So, unless they more than double the requirements, I should get LTP when MPG hits the streets. Yes, just like everyone else, it's a guess and I am waiting to see what comes down.
Old May 23, 2017, 9:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Credit in one program does not count in the other. The status match is a courtesy to keep us from jumping ship and sticking around to see what we get when they are done. Since you did not "earn" SPG Platinum, it's not a qualifying year.

Now who knows what they will do to merge the programs and what numbers we be brought over. I am 9 nights away from LTP in both programs. I am not traveling like I was so not likely to stay those nights. So, unless they more than double the requirements, I should get LTP when MPG hits the streets. Yes, just like everyone else, it's a guess and I am waiting to see what comes down.
The 9-away, 9-away is quite a coincidence!
Old May 25, 2017, 9:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
So I qualified as Lifetime Gold and it was reflected on my account on 18 May.

I just had a call from Fedex who have a delivery for me from Starwood and want to know why I'm not home to receive it. During the day. On a Friday.

Anyway, I moved to China two months ago so my colleague had to take the call and evidently Fedex cannot deliver to the secure electronic delivery boxes that all delivery companies use here. You know, because people work. We've asked them to redirect the delivery to my work address which they say will create an additional charge for the sender. I've checked the Tracking and the package left Charlotte on 18 May.

I'm bursting with excitement to see what unexpected gift I will receive in the event that they manage to deliver it to my work place. Anyone know what Golds get when we qualify?
Old May 25, 2017, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ftrichard
I'm bursting with excitement to see what unexpected gift I will receive in the event that they manage to deliver it to my work place. Anyone know what Golds get when we qualify?
How exciting. I never received anything when qualifying for Lifetime Gold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.