Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Discussion: SPG Lifetime™ Gold and SPG Lifetime™ Platinum status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 25, 2017, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
It can take up to 7 business days from the day you qualified for your Lifetime Platinum status to be picked up by the system.

Starwood / Marriott merger
Q : What will happen to my Lifetime Status when the programs merge together in the future?
A : Rest assured we will always recognize your Lifetime Status, whether it is today in your earned program or in the future with a new, combined program.
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#what-will-happen-to-my-lifetime-status-when-the-programs-merge-together-in-the-future
Print Wikipost

Discussion: SPG Lifetime™ Gold and SPG Lifetime™ Platinum status

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2014, 8:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
Originally Posted by freqflyerbmw
I've re-earned status this year by crossing the 25 night threshold this past Monday, so my profile should update from four years to five years elite giving me Lifetime Gold status. I met the 250 night requirement a little while back. Does anyone know how long it typically takes for the profile to update the number of years elite after earning status for the year? My ambassador suggested these updates occur on Saturday, but my profile didn't change yesterday.
I'm in the same boat, but it's been a few weeks since I hit 25 nights. Mine hasn't updated, but I'm not really all that concerned about it. I figure it will happen eventually. Even January 2015 - it really doesn't matter
Old Apr 6, 2014, 8:35 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by JWAustinVTX
Is there any real benefit of LTG?
The only benefit is not needing to re-qualify for Gold. There are no distinctions between the published hotel benefits for Gold or Lifetime Gold.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 10:28 am

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott LT Platinum
Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm not all that concerned either as I am Platinum at the moment and intend to earn Platinum for next year as well. I guess I just want confirmation that I've officially earned it.

I'll keep everyone posted on when my account gets updated.
Old May 11, 2014, 11:21 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP - Aeroplan 50K
Lifetime Platinum Question?

As I understand it, for Lifetime Platinum, one must have BOTH 500 nights and 10 years Platinum.

I would doubt it, but does anyone know whether there is any way around having both criteria ? I have my 500 nights but have only been Plat for 7 years.

Any insights/experiences in this matter would be appreciated:-)

Cheers,

Singlepoint
Old May 12, 2014, 12:23 am

Programs: SPG Plat (life gold);UA 1K; IC Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Singlepoint
As I understand it, for Lifetime Platinum, one must have BOTH 500 nights and 10 years Platinum.

I would doubt it, but does anyone know whether there is any way around having both criteria ? I have my 500 nights but have only been Plat for 7 years.

Any insights/experiences in this matter would be appreciated:-)

Cheers,

Singlepoint
You need both. Sorry.
Old May 12, 2014, 12:50 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Being lifetime status in a loyalty program... They want to reward your loyalty which is something you prove over time.

Consistent volume over time = proof of brand loyalty.

Their criteria fit the purpose perfectly. Wouldn't make sense to say "OK instead of 500 nights / 10 years we will accept 1200 nights / 3 years." (you can theoretically book more than 365 nights in a year - people in certain jobs reach these numbers without being particularly loyal to the brand.)
Old May 12, 2014, 10:08 am

Programs: Marriott LTP - Aeroplan 50K
Originally Posted by forumpersona999
Being lifetime status in a loyalty program... They want to reward your loyalty which is something you prove over time.

Their criteria fit the purpose perfectly. Wouldn't make sense to say "OK instead of 500 nights / 10 years we will accept 1200 nights / 3 years." (you can theoretically book more than 365 nights in a year - people in certain jobs reach these numbers without being particularly loyal to the brand.)
I assumed that would be the case, but I thought it worth asking.

Thanks to everyone for their prompt replies.

Cheers,

Singlepoint
Old May 12, 2014, 10:19 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by Singlepoint
Do the time and you will be just fine.

803 night and 8 years. Get in line brother.
Old May 12, 2014, 10:41 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by yosithezet
I understand there is a forum member with no less than 14 years Platinum, but still not 500 nights, ahead of you in the queue.
Old May 12, 2014, 11:05 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
I understand there is a forum member with no less than 14 years Platinum, but still not 500 nights, ahead of you in the queue.
I'm patiently waiting my turn. But nights can be accumulated at will while we are still some time away from effective time travel.
Old May 16, 2014, 6:08 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Do the time and you will be just fine.

Ouch! Appreciate the clarification, I'd had dreams of crossing the 500 mark at year 4 and gaining lifetime status. I'll now use those nights to spread it over Marriott as well, if there's no incentive for my to accelerate my nights other than for points.
Old May 16, 2014, 6:50 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by forumpersona999

As a Lifetime Platinum, I still find myself staying regularly at Starwood properties because I'm being recognized as a Lifetime Platinum whenever I check-in which is a nice touch! As my travel lessens, I need to give nights to HHONORS to maintain my Diamond status but Starwood continues to get nights!

Their strategy is working perfectly
Old May 16, 2014, 8:05 am
JK

Programs: BA Gold / OnBusiness, SPG Lifetime Plat 100, AmEx Centurion & BAPP, Superking Westin Heavenly Bed :)
Originally Posted by sapguy
As a Lifetime Platinum, I still find myself staying regularly at Starwood properties because I'm being recognized as a Lifetime Platinum whenever I check-in which is a nice touch! As my travel lessens, I need to give nights to HHONORS to maintain my Diamond status but Starwood continues to get nights!

Their strategy is working perfectly
+1

As an LTP, I find myself increasingly frustrated when there isn't an SPG where I'm going (Luxembourg ). Now that I've earnt LTP, I may as well enjoy the benefits, otherwise, what was the point?

I also find myself not taking the foot of the gas, as it were, to renew my Platinum status each year. The 4th point at SPG 75 keeps me going each year, although losing my Ambassador last year was slightly upsetting. I hit 89 nights or something, but stopped paying attention after I hit 75! Lesson learnt for this year!
Old May 16, 2014, 8:31 am

I think SPG is hurting themselves (and members) by the requirement of needing 10 years of Platinum status to get the lifetime status, unless it us purely to keep this a very exclusive status. It's a disincentive for people like me who average 40-50 nights a year (but only some years > 50 for Plat), making this virtually unreachable - it makes more sense to take ALL of my business to Marriott where the higher lifetime status levels are actually achievable (eventually!). It's also potentially a disincentive for people earning well over 50 nights per year, who may also spread some revenue to other programs. It's ridiculous that the previous poster with 800 nights over 8 years is not already lifetime Plat.

Why not allow two options like 500 nights + 10 years plat, or 600-750 nights outright? Seems like that would be a win-win for Starwood as well as loyal members.
Old May 16, 2014, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I would argue that adding 1-10 nights per year, for (10-"some") years is hardly "virtually unreachable". Unless this is every night you spend, in which case is will take you 15-16 years at MR. A handful of additional nights a year for 10 years vs. waiting 6 additional years - I'd say SPG has a very strong value proposition in that discussion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.