Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Discussion: Plats at 75 nights/year = 4 points per $ and Your24 check-in time

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 6, 2017, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Your24 support:

[email protected]
Print Wikipost

Discussion: Plats at 75 nights/year = 4 points per $ and Your24 check-in time

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2012, 3:52 am
Used to be RichardKopf

Programs: SPG LTP/IHG Pl/Hilton D/Shang-Taj D/VA Plat/QFClub/Hertz Pres/Avis Pres
I crunched some numbers today, to check the value of the 4th point, for me. The 24hr check-in may have a benefit once a year, but I have only once in the past few years been asked to wait.. and that was on New Year in Tokyo, where I couldn't get a room until 3.45pm and had coffee with the HM.

Anyway, I figured I would be six nights short of the 75, this year.

Let's say I spend an average of $150 before taxes, per night. it's probably more, but better to count low, than high. 69 nights that I average, per year at Starwood would earn an extra 10350 points, or about $200 worth of points. It would cost me 12000 in a Cat 1 to get to the extra level.

While the additional benefit sounds great, unless you are only a couple of nights short or have a very high, per night spend, it doesn't seem to make sense to strive for it.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 6:34 am

Nice to see my first "4th point" post this morning! A great little 25% point bonus this year.

Cheers,
Old Mar 4, 2012, 1:12 pm
Used to be RichardKopf

Programs: SPG LTP/IHG Pl/Hilton D/Shang-Taj D/VA Plat/QFClub/Hertz Pres/Avis Pres
Originally Posted by Flews
Nice to see my first "4th point" post this morning! A great little 25% point bonus this year.

Cheers,
You can be even happier, it's 33 1/3%.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 9:00 am

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Silver, UA 1K, DL Silver
All my extra points have posted perfectly without any hitch. Even the points from checking out on 3/1.

Just updated my spreadsheet for the change.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 7:36 am

Programs: SPG Plt, Hilton Dia, Marriott Plt, Hyatt Plt
Really not fair to 2011 Platinum Members

This is an Email Chain with Starwoods .... Somehow they feel that because they did not advise anyone about the benifit that makes it ok?

Original Message Follows: ------------------------

The issue was really in regard to the new program of extended checkout based upon 75 nights. I voiced my displeasure in the fact that ;

1. I had 67 nights in 2011
2. That there was no way to know that a new program benefit was coming that required 75 nights
3. That there was no opportunity to make-up for the required eight additional nights
4. That 13 Free nights were not counted BEFORE October 1st which would have exceeded the required nights had they been taken AFTER October 1st

In a nutshell, I feel I was short changed as a platinum member in this new program benefit. I have always appreciated the Starwoods program, the Suite upgrades are a nice added feature, the Moments program is also very nice. In December, I elected to add a Starwoods AMEX and had intended on a more concentrated effort to stay at Starwood Properties to gain more points for the Moments offerings. (This year I just spent 80K points for a Moments Golf Tournament). However, as I stated in my email, I feel short Changed and have avoided Starwoods properties until this matter is resolved in my mind. (I have only 11 stays this year thru Mar 15th). Although the Starwoods program is very good, The Marriott and Hilton programs are also good for different reasons and with each of you I am treated pretty well. I hope this matter can come to a satisfactory conclusion

Regards

Xxxx xxxx

Dear Mr. Xx,

Thank you for responding to our email.

I apologize that you feel that you were not in position to earn this specific benefit. I ensure you that this change was not made to short hand you but to more so benefit you. None of our members were aware of the change to award nights. All of our members received this news in the same matter as you.

The 'Terms and Conditions' of the Starwood Preferred Guest program were developed considering the best interests of both SPG members and Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide. The specific reasons behind most provisions of our 'Terms and Conditions' are proprietary information, but in general these rules were developed to provide the greatest benefit to both our guests and our individual hotels and resorts. We appreciate your feedback regarding these policies, and have forwarded your concerns for consideration in future revisions.

We value your loyalty as a elite member. We hope that you reconsider staying with us for your travel needs.

Mr. Allen, should you require additional assistance, simply reply to this email. If you prefer, you may chat with us online or we can call you.

Best Regards,

XXXXX XXXXXXX
Platinum E-Concierge
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

Last edited by yosithezet; Mar 20, 2012 at 3:12 am
Old Mar 18, 2012, 10:53 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
Probably not what you want to hear, but I don't see how you were short changed. The rules are what they are. As you said, you now have suite nights that you didn't know you were going to get. Do you want to give those back because you didn't know about the program changes ahead of time? You stayed 67 nights last year without these benefits, but want to stay elsewhere this year because other people who stayed more get an extra point per dollar? Doesn't seem like the kind of loyalty that SPG wants to encourage.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by RichardKopf
Let's say I spend an average of $150 before taxes, per night. it's probably more, but better to count low, than high. 69 nights that I average, per year at Starwood would earn an extra 10350 points, or about $200 worth of points. It would cost me 12000 in a Cat 1 to get to the extra level.
Well, yes, that's one way to look at it. Here's another. 10,350 points is good for 10 SPG50 certificates, which get you discounted (50% off rack) rates for 50 nights. At a certain hotel which I happen to know that you quite enjoy, the regular long stay rate is USD $208.33 including tax and service. The SPG50 rate is USD $144.71, also including tax and service. That's a savings of USD $63.62/night, or USD $3,151 for the 50 nights. I'll take that 4th point any day.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:11 pm

Response to Loyalty

Originally Posted by azeckel
Probably not what you want to hear, but I don't see how you were short changed. The rules are what they are. As you said, you now have suite nights that you didn't know you were going to get. Do you want to give those back because you didn't know about the program changes ahead of time? You stayed 67 nights last year without these benefits, but want to stay elsewhere this year because other people who stayed more get an extra point per dollar? Doesn't seem like the kind of loyalty that SPG wants to encourage.
I think get what you are saying, (You think I should be Loyal to SPG?) and Yes my Loyalty has been affected. I don't like the fact that the program was retroactive and not made available to all that had Platinum status - Sorry but that is how I feel. As many of you do, I travel every week. I will maintain Platinum Status in any event just by convienence default. (So far (Mar 17th) 32 Marriotts, 12 Hiltons and 11 Starwoods YTD). I just won't make SPG my first choice. Certainly when it benifets me I will not refuse SPG, but as you indicated, I feel no LOYALTY to SPG any longer. Principal I guess.. In any event, Thanks for the input
Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by daorlando
... I feel no LOYALTY to SPG any longer. Principal I guess.. In any event, Thanks for the input
Interesting. They rewarded your loyalty by giving you 10 suite nights which you didn't know that you were going to get and didn't expect. But because you didn't get even more, you're no longer loyal? Guess I just see it differently.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Guess I just see it differently.
me too....

he seems like the type who even if he got to 75 nights would have complained for not getting to 100 & getting an ambassador....
Old Mar 19, 2012, 2:23 pm

Maybe your Right

Originally Posted by Keyser
me too....

he seems like the type who even if he got to 75 nights would have complained for not getting to 100 & getting an ambassador....
Yes, You both make a point - I just like to know the game before I play.... If I needed 75, and knew I needed 75, was made aware I needed 75, I would have gotten 75..... The same with 100 or even 200.. If I needed 75, knew I needed 75, and did not achieve 75 - My Bad .... But you guys think differently - that is your right. Really not a big deal ... Lots of Hotels and Lots of Programs and Lots of Choices and lots of places to go ... You all just Have a wonderful day!
Old Mar 20, 2012, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Yes, You both make a point - I just like to know the game before I play.... If I needed 75, and knew I needed 75, was made aware I needed 75, I would have gotten 75..... The same with 100 or even 200.. If I needed 75, knew I needed 75, and did not achieve 75 - My Bad .... But you guys think differently - that is your right. Really not a big deal ... Lots of Hotels and Lots of Programs and Lots of Choices and lots of places to go ... You all just Have a wonderful day!
it all depends on how you look at it....last year i only had about 40 nights with spg....thanks in part to a broken leg which resulted in no travel for me for 4-5 months....i was disappointed at not getting the suite certificates since i usually cross 75 nights a year & would have had a similar number last year as well had it not been for my leg....

but its not a big deal....i know this year i'll easily cross 75+ nights so i'll get the benefits i want....if i were to stop staying at spg & go with another chain just because they didn't inform me about the benefits beforehand then i would lose out on those benefits for this year & the next....
Old Mar 20, 2012, 2:21 am

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
So now you know you need 75 or 100 nights.. why not just aim for that for next year and not complain about how you didn't make it or got short changed when they changed the rules?
Old Mar 20, 2012, 6:19 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Tried to use the Your24 benefit on the morning of the 22nd of March, The request was denied even though the hotels shows plenty of availability on the night of the 21st hence plenty of availability on the morning of the 22nd. Yes I got the response of "well if there is availability they will give it to you at check-in". But the benefit is a confirmed check-in time 48 hours prior.

It just annoys me when there is plenty of availability on the night before and my request got denied. I will be more than ok if my request got denied when the night before is completely full.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:13 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83
Tried to use the Your24 benefit on the morning of the 22nd of March, The request was denied even though the hotels shows plenty of availability on the night of the 21st hence plenty of availability on the morning of the 22nd. Yes I got the response of "well if there is availability they will give it to you at check-in". But the benefit is a confirmed check-in time 48 hours prior.

It just annoys me when there is plenty of availability on the night before and my request got denied. I will be more than ok if my request got denied when the night before is completely full.

Nevermind, as always William to the rescue and case is closed. Thx William.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.