Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Discussion: 10 Suite Night Awards (SNAs) for Plats with 50 nights in calendar year

Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Print Wikipost

Discussion: 10 Suite Night Awards (SNAs) for Plats with 50 nights in calendar year

Old Aug 25, 2012, 5:53 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Check your account. I do not qualify being a proud Plat-Lite as it is called, but would expect the 10 nights EARNED this year will be good through next year. They did grant 10 for those that would have qualified last year had the program been in place.
All 20 are good thru 12/31/2013. I'm a Plat for life as well but that has nothing to do with anything. All it meenest is I will always get the regular plat benefits every year but still must requalify for the suite night awards.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 11:39 pm
Ambassador: Thai Airways

Programs: UA 1k, TG Gold, LT Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I initially had 5 SNAs left and they were expired 12-31-12, today, I reached my 50 nights for 2012, I saw 10 additional SNAs deposited to my account expiring 12-31-13 (makes sense), but then my leftover 5 now also have expiration date 12-31-13 instead of 12-31-12. Is this a system error or they now actually get extended? Post # 2 says it won't be carried over to next year and some most recent posts say they do get extended.

Edit: Thanks for the confirmation. My eyes must have played trick on me when I saw 2012 expiration date before the new 10 were added. I also failed to read Q6 on post 1. Apologies for posting this already answered question.

Last edited by kiam; Aug 28, 2012 at 11:14 pm
Old Aug 28, 2012, 12:09 am
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Checked per advice here but although I have 81 nights this year no additional suite nights provided. I had 10 from when this first started and used 1 of them so I think i should now have 19 correct?
Old Aug 28, 2012, 12:43 am
Ambassador: Thai Airways

Programs: UA 1k, TG Gold, LT Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by ldsant
Checked per advice here but although I have 81 nights this year no additional suite nights provided. I had 10 from when this first started and used 1 of them so I think i should now have 19 correct?
You should have had 19 since when you reached 50 nights this year.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 12:48 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by kiam
I initially had 5 SNAs left and they were expired 12-31-12, today, I reached my 50 nights for 2012, I saw 10 additional SNAs deposited to my account expiring 12-31-13 (makes sense), but then my leftover 5 now also have expiration date 12-31-13 instead of 12-31-12. Is this a system error or they now actually get extended? Post # 2 says it won't be carried over to next year and some most recent posts say they do get extended.
The T&C's say that it should be in your account for at least a year.

Since the awards were earned on the 1st of March of this year that's the reason it will end on the end of 2013.

So if earned another 10 nights this year, 20 nights should expire the end of 2013.

It was always expiring at the end of 2013.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
As stated in post #1 of this thread:
6.If a member completed 50 or more Eligible Nights in 2011, will they earn 10 Suite Night Awards?

Yes. SPG members who completed 50 or more eligible nights in 2011 will receive 10 Suite Night Awards in their account on March 1, 2012. Those Suite Night Awards will expire on December 31, 2013. If a SPG member has 50 or more Eligible Nights during calendar year 2012, they will earn 10 Suite Night Awards that will also expire on December 31, 2013.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 7:58 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Here is what I see...not quite the same as what others see unless i'm looking in the wrong spot:

•Current Suite Night Award(s) balance: 13
•Requested for reservation (pending): 7
Please note
•10 of your Suite Night Award(s) will expire on 12/31/2013
Old Aug 28, 2012, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by dingo
Here is what I see...not quite the same as what others see unless i'm looking in the wrong spot:

•Current Suite Night Award(s) balance: 13
•Requested for reservation (pending): 7
Please note
•10 of your Suite Night Award(s) will expire on 12/31/2013
Sounds like SPG IT needs to do some work. According to what I just posted ALL SNAs, gifted or earned this year should expire on 12/31/13. I wonder what the presumption is for your other 10?
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:11 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Really, if you are qualifying for status every year, suite upgrades should be extended until you can use them. The idea of expiring upgrades is ridiculous.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:22 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
You should have had 19 since when you reached 50 nights this year.
Thanks. That's what I thought - I only have 10. . .weird. Appreciate the help here!
Old Aug 29, 2012, 8:46 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Originally Posted by seanthepilot
Really, if you are qualifying for status every year, suite upgrades should be extended until you can use them. The idea of expiring upgrades is ridiculous.
I agree. Please tell USAir the same...their TA upgrades should never expire!
Old Aug 29, 2012, 9:11 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by seanthepilot
If accounting-wise, SPG puts a value on the upgrades, then it makes a ton of sense for them to expire. Otherwise, they will end up with a huge liability on their balance sheet that will never be extinguished, as many of these Suite Night awards will truly never be used.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 12:13 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
If accounting-wise, SPG puts a value on the upgrades, then it makes a ton of sense for them to expire. Otherwise, they will end up with a huge liability on their balance sheet that will never be extinguished, as many of these Suite Night awards will truly never be used.
My point was that they shouldn't expire, as long as you maintain Platinum.

At that point, you are still a revenue generator, and each Suite Night Award is an incentive to purchase another room night.

Just as the airline's (what once were known as System Wide Upgrades) upgrades do... if I have the upgrade in my account, I will buy the $1500 fare. The minute the upgrade expires, they lose my business. Keeping my upgrades from expiring would have earned United tens of thousands more dollars from me, than letting them expire has done. But, thankfully they expired, and I saved all that money.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 2:55 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
With no deadline, there will always be procrastinators which just collect them and never use them. If you are staying 50 nights every year, surely you can find at least 10 of them where you wouldn't mind an upgrade. For accounting purposes they must have a value and keeping that liability on the books for years makes no sense.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
With no deadline, there will always be procrastinators which just collect them and never use them. If you are staying 50 nights every year, surely you can find at least 10 of them where you wouldn't mind an upgrade. For accounting purposes they must have a value and keeping that liability on the books for years makes no sense.
This Platinum has had no need to use any of the SNA's. SPG doesn't reimburse properties for these so there is ZERO value to have them on books.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.