Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Discussion: 10 Suite Night Awards (SNAs) for Plats with 50 nights in calendar year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Print Wikipost

Discussion: 10 Suite Night Awards (SNAs) for Plats with 50 nights in calendar year

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2015, 11:13 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
I try not to be an alarmist, but again I rarely feel the need to use my SNAs.

I did request them for my upcoming W Bogota stay and I am now within 5 days, but no email update.

I am not panicked, nor do I think something fishy is going on at all. Now at the 24 hour mark before arrival I would be curious, but Starwood rarely does me wrong (except for cheap properties with crappy wifi, of course).
Old Nov 29, 2015, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by playbbg
I'm sensing some shenanigans with my booking at The Gwen in Chicago. Put SNAs on my 1 night stay and did not clear at 5 days despite many qualifying suites available.

I called the PLT desk and was told by a supervisor that suites don't clear at 5 nights out, that they are able to starting at that window, but the hotel has until 2pm the day before to confirm. I asked about the available suites at the hotel and they said it's the hotel's choice to provide them as suite nights.

Something sounds fishy about this whole process and I'm getting quite frustrated with the SNA benefit. It seems like hotels are doing everything they can to get around providing a benefit that is promised to us and there is no transparency or party to hold people accountable.
Yes, the lack of transparency is the biggest issue with SNAs. What shows on the SPG website does not represent what is available for SNA upgrades, nor does it represent what is available for Plat upgrades. The property has the ability to segment it's inventory and overbook so there is no place (other than the property itself) to know what is actually available.

I've read many posts where SNAs don't clear but Plat upgrades do at check-in. I'm not sure how much is the property playing games to limit the upgrades granted or the system not quite able to perform as the process requires. SPG has very limited ability to look into what is actually happening and have no trust in anything being said by a property or even SPG CSRs. If you feel something isn't quite right, contact the Lurkers (they seem to have access to people that know how it's supposed to work) and ask them to check if there is anything from their view that needs attention. They can't force an SNA to apply, but should there be a problem with how things are set up, they may be able to clear the path.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 3:27 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Like clockwork. ^

A couple of hours ago, at T-5 days, I received my 3 night SNA confirmation email.

W Bogota
- superior room to fantastic suite

Since I have 10 expiring next month, I don't mind using them, but it is curious to see what the other suite types were not available that I selected - or I will never know until check-in.

No Starwood complaints from me today.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 5:45 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
I had one recently clear late in the game (t-2) without any working on it emails and then another cleared (t-5) so I am down to one left for the year which I will try to use on my 50th night.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 3:54 pm

Hi,

I need some advice. I have a Sheraton free night award booked this Saturday at the Chicago Sheraton Grand. I had an SNA attached to it. Today I received an email:

Thanks for letting us know you wish to cancel your Suite Night Award request. We credited your Award(s) back to your account for use on a future reservation.

The problem is, I never cancelled it. I called the Platinum desk and told them the issue and asked them to reattach the SNA. They said they couldn't - none were available. I told them that I saw three different types available online for $400-$500. They told me they could see the hotel inventory and they aren't really there - I would receive an error if I tried to book it.

I just tried to book a few and it lets me complete the reservation no problem. I feel I'm being lied to as I have a hard time believing that if I kept these cash reservations that they wouldn't be actually available if I kept them and checked in.

What are my next steps? Thanks.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 4:05 pm

Contact the Lurkers.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ckendall
Contact the Lurkers.
+1 - this happened to me once, it was just an F-up, got it re-requested
Old Dec 3, 2015, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Amy28
Hi,

I need some advice. I have a Sheraton free night award booked this Saturday at the Chicago Sheraton Grand. I had an SNA attached to it. Today I received an email:

Thanks for letting us know you wish to cancel your Suite Night Award request. We credited your Award(s) back to your account for use on a future reservation.

The problem is, I never cancelled it. I called the Platinum desk and told them the issue and asked them to reattach the SNA. They said they couldn't - none were available. I told them that I saw three different types available online for $400-$500. They told me they could see the hotel inventory and they aren't really there - I would receive an error if I tried to book it.

I just tried to book a few and it lets me complete the reservation no problem. I feel I'm being lied to as I have a hard time believing that if I kept these cash reservations that they wouldn't be actually available if I kept them and checked in.

What are my next steps? Thanks.
Call again and hope for a better CSR.

Be aware what you see on SPG.com may not match property inventory and what the CSR sees. Besides being different databases, properties may offer more rooms for sale than they actually have. Typically they will not upgrade someone if actual inventory is sold out but they may continue to offer rooms for sale hoping some to not show up. If you book a cash room and show up before the other guest, you might get the room with them being downgraded or walked if needed. Don't expect them to give away an upgrade with the chance of having to walk another guest.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 10:38 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum+Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Delta Plat, United Silver, AX Biz Cent
Does anyone know if Suite Night Awards can be used on bookings through World Elite Mastercard (carlson wagonlit) or Amex Fine Hotel & Resorts (FHR / Centurion / Platinum Travel Service)?
Old Dec 9, 2015, 11:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by some dude
Does anyone know if Suite Night Awards can be used on bookings through World Elite Mastercard (carlson wagonlit) or Amex Fine Hotel & Resorts (FHR / Centurion / Platinum Travel Service)?
Don't know about Carlson, but there should be no problem with FHR.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 4:16 am

The "We're working on it" message seems to have reappeared, though coming at 11pm my time (10pm hotel time) on day T-3 but not previously.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 9:04 am

I noticed this last week as well. A quick call to the ambassador desk confirmed everything is okay.

The "We're working on it" message seems to have reappeared, though coming at 11pm my time (10pm hotel time) on day T-3 but not previously.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 11:32 am

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum+Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Delta Plat, United Silver, AX Biz Cent
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Don't know about Carlson, but there should be no problem with FHR.
I tried it out, and it worked just fine -- booked with the World Elite rate through "Citi Prestige" travel (Carlson Wagonlit), then was able to request the SNA online without issue.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 1:00 pm

FWIW, my last two SNAs of the year cleared recently at 11pm on day T-5, and not during the 2pm hour as in the past.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 1:22 pm

"We're working on it" has completely broken down. Five working days, one message, SNA never cleared and when I go to my profile (the day I checked out) they're still "working on it".

I got to use 9/10 this year so no real complaint but please let tech support know the thing is broken.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.