Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Discussion: 10 Suite Night Awards (SNAs) for Plats with 50 nights in calendar year

Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Print Wikipost

Discussion: 10 Suite Night Awards (SNAs) for Plats with 50 nights in calendar year

Old Oct 13, 2014, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by banzani
That's the weird thing - they've totally disappeared, I've tried all sorts of date combos before the resort closes for the winter - nada.
Maybe they are currently at low occupancy and have already started taking out of inventory certain rooms/room categories in preparation of their seasonal closure starting Oct. 30? Have you tried calling them directly?
Old Oct 13, 2014, 5:50 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Hmmm, so I have the SNAs in the system for a week at Blue Palace starting end of this week. I've been monitoring availability almost daily, and could always book up to 9 Maisonette Suites (SNA suite) up until last Friday. Over night to last Saturday inventory for these suites has disappeared completely. I will wait for the SNA mail which should come today or tomorrow - but looks strange ?
Keep monitoring. We all know that the online inventory, that is what they will actually sell you, cannot be trusted (for reasons I do not understand). We've also learned that the spg.com vs. the hotel homepage may show different rooms available for booking.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 7:21 am

Programs: M&M FQT, BA G, Bonvoy LTT, WoH GLOB
Discussion: 10 Suite Nights (SNAs) for Plats with 50 nights in calendar year

Thanks for the tips. The first SNA mail has come in negative (we'll keep trying), so I have emailed the hotel. Will report back.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 9:28 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Thanks for the tips. The first SNA mail has come in negative (we'll keep trying), so I have emailed the hotel. Will report back.
It does sound like the hotel may have already started closing certain rooms for the end of the season, maybe to renovate or similar. Would be worth asking the hotel directly maybe. If it is the case not a lot you can do about it apart from if they are aware of the situation look at putting you in a higher suite due to this reason but they obviously have no obligation to do this.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 12:19 pm

Programs: M&M FQT, BA G, Bonvoy LTT, WoH GLOB
Discussion: 10 Suite Nights (SNAs) for Plats with 50 nights in calendar year

The hotel has just replied, saying that the suites have been snatched by late bookers and people using SNAs with earlier arrival dates than mine. Since it all must have happened in one night for 9 suites, and only this very category, the explanation with the reduced inventory towards end of season would have sounded more plausible to me, but there's nothing I can do I guess. I don't think they would put me in a higher suite, since the SNAs wouldn't confirm in the first place (I haven't read the entire thread but assume the hotel would get something for the SNAs).
Old Oct 13, 2014, 12:52 pm

Programs: ua 1k, hh diamond, spg PLT, marriott PLT
Wanted to post quickly about my recent experience with the Westin SFO Airport. Staying for 1 night, suite was "pending" at 5 days out but could book 3 suites online. I called Ambassador desk (my personal Ambassador is on vacation) who said "tough luck, it's a hotel issue. I personally have had 5 people call in the last week with the same issue, but we can't do anything about it. If you want a suite, book a suite". So today I called the hotel and the manager was exceptionally nice on the phone. He looked at the reservation and said it should have cleared, but the automation didn't work this time. He overrode the system and looks like he pro-actively upgraded me to a suite without pulling the suite night.

This was a positive ending, but I'm getting extremely frustrated with this process. Lately, no suite nights are clearing automatically and the only way to get them to go through, it seems, is to call the hotel and hope they are willing to override the system. What is the point of a benefit, if it doesn't work?
Old Oct 13, 2014, 2:01 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by playbbg
Wanted to post quickly about my recent experience with the Westin SFO Airport. Staying for 1 night, suite was "pending" at 5 days out but could book 3 suites online. I called Ambassador desk (my personal Ambassador is on vacation) who said "tough luck, it's a hotel issue. I personally have had 5 people call in the last week with the same issue, but we can't do anything about it. If you want a suite, book a suite". So today I called the hotel and the manager was exceptionally nice on the phone. He looked at the reservation and said it should have cleared, but the automation didn't work this time. He overrode the system and looks like he pro-actively upgraded me to a suite without pulling the suite night.

This was a positive ending, but I'm getting extremely frustrated with this process. Lately, no suite nights are clearing automatically and the only way to get them to go through, it seems, is to call the hotel and hope they are willing to override the system. What is the point of a benefit, if it doesn't work?
Had similar issues but been lucky enough on occasion for my Ambassador to help me out! They say the system works but it clearly doesnt at times and how they think it is a positive thing when it is so opaque that it frustrates some of its most loyal guests is beyond me! Add in the facts it dramatically reduces the suite upgrades available at major city hotels for regulars and the more nights you stay above the 50 the less they are reqarding you and actually having a negative impact on suite upgrades then I can only conclude it is a nice idea badly thought out and executed terribly!

I have shifted some of my business away from Starwood for the first time in 10 years this year and SNA's and the effect they had is certainly a major factor in that decision! That said I will still hit 130 nights so maybe they dont care lol!
Old Oct 13, 2014, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
What an absolutely frustrating system.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 6:15 am
JK

Programs: BA Gold / OnBusiness, SPG Lifetime Plat 100, AmEx Centurion & BAPP, Superking Westin Heavenly Bed :)
I have some SNA's applied for a reservation starting on Oct 20 (so 6 days away). First time using them, so very nervous to see what happens. Big holiday with the family, so crossing my fingers!
Old Oct 15, 2014, 3:09 pm

Programs: Leisure Traveler: Delta DM, Starwood PM50, Global Entry, NEXUS, CLEAR
10 Suite Night Award worth 4-6k Starpoints?

Hello, I'm a (new/first year) Plat that will be 2 nights shy of the 50 nights required to grab the 10 Suite Night Award. Any opinions if it would be worth the Starpoints/Cash to earn the award? Not hard living in ATL and our cheap rates.

I can go any route:
- 2 nights at Hot Escapes Pricing ($86) = $172
- 2 nights at 2k Points + Cash ($35) = 4k Points + $70
- 2 nights at 3k Points flat = 6k Points

Is it worth it? As a fairly new Plat, I'm not sure what to expect as far as spur upgrades without the Suite Awards... Thanks for any advice.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 4:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, AC Elite, Airmiles Gold, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards
Originally Posted by droidcore
Hello, I'm a (new/first year) Plat that will be 2 nights shy of the 50 nights required to grab the 10 Suite Night Award. Any opinions if it would be worth the Starpoints/Cash to earn the award? Not hard living in ATL and our cheap rates.

I can go any route:
- 2 nights at Hot Escapes Pricing ($86) = $172
- 2 nights at 2k Points + Cash ($35) = 4k Points + $70
- 2 nights at 3k Points flat = 6k Points

Is it worth it? As a fairly new Plat, I'm not sure what to expect as far as spur upgrades without the Suite Awards... Thanks for any advice.
IMO, yes. For much more than this -- no. SNAs availability differs by the season and hotel. Maybe a frustrating experience trying to cash them out. DIscussed many times in various SNA related threads.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 4:42 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I'd say definitely. I tend to stay in nice $400-800 a night hotels when I use SPG for leisure, and I've had pretty good odds at the SNAs clearing into what are really expensive and often spectacular rooms.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 5:48 pm

Programs: Leisure Traveler: Delta DM, Starwood PM50, Global Entry, NEXUS, CLEAR
Thanks for the tips. I guess I'll have a go at it then.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 7:52 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, IHG Royal Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat,Accor Plat, US Chairmans
i would say yes too although this year mind haven't cleared much. However, I usually get upgraded to a suite regardless upon check-in. But I do like knowing if I have a confirmed suite or not and 6k SPG points is worth it for me.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 9:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Sometimes you can guarantee an upgrade at the time of booking, at least for a points stay, by paying some (additional) points.

At check in, Plats are *supposed* to be upgraded into available select standard suites for free. Sometimes a Plat gets lucky and gets a specially suite.

Some hotels allow you to state in advance that you wish to upgrade if available at check in for some additional cash. This tends to be done with an email offer.

SNAs give upgrades into designated suite categories (sometimes including specially suites beyond the select standard suites in the pool for Plat upgrades) that are confirmed between T-5 and T-1, between the "guaranteed at booking" and "if available at check in" timings and presumably between the two other types of upgrades in actual availability too. SNAs have the additional advantage of being processed by the SPG computers, presumably with less opportunity for shenanigans by the hotel and no need to insist or beg at check in.

Given these considerations, you can estimate some bounds for the value of SNAs for the category of hotels where you would use them. I don't think you're likely to be able to guarantee an upgrade for 600 points per night at many hotels, so my answer would probably be that the SNAs are worth it. However, note that in some hotels, SNAs get you only junior suites or even (in some beach resorts) just ocean view rooms.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.