Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Discussion: 10 Suite Night Awards (SNAs) for Plats with 50 nights in calendar year

Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Print Wikipost

Discussion: 10 Suite Night Awards (SNAs) for Plats with 50 nights in calendar year

Old Sep 2, 2014, 9:22 am

Programs: SPG Plat and that is that!
My 2 cents ... on page 170...

So I follow this thread pretty regularly because it has so much interest to me. Finally someone pointed out what is so frustrating. I realize that I am perhaps not in the majority but I agree that these provide "tangible" value when I travel with my family. I have a 10 y-o and 8 y-o and we plan 2-3 family trips per year where we may end up at 5 or 6 different Starwoods.

The problem is that we "require" a suite or 2 connecting rooms. 5 days out in advance is generally useless to me b/c if we can't know for sure we get a Suite, then we can't plan to stay at that location.

I'm not complaining. I lost 9 SNA's last year, and am on track to lose another 9 this year, b/c when staying alone, its not really tangibly better than what I would get - I don't need the space, I'd rather save the SNA for when I might want the space and then they never clear. Like I said - no big deal, as a Plat I generally get a better room anyways, access to lounges, etc. and whether I have 300 sq ft or 600 sq ft doesn't matter.

BUT ... it would really be worth Starwood's while, IMHO, to perhaps allow maybe 5 of those 10 nights to be confirmable at time of booking. I suppose that would pretty much backfire on me though - cuz then when I want to book a suite for my family, it will be gone due to all the SNA's.

Who knows........
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:59 am

I have the same feeling. Also generally the suites on the selection are for 2 peoples and have to book 2 rooms in many cases...

Originally Posted by EC Traveler
The problem is that we "require" a suite or 2 connecting rooms.
But I am happy with current scheme and clear rate (almost 0% though...) because I don't expect so much
Old Sep 2, 2014, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro (LT Gold), Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
Thumbs up

I have so far tried to use five SNA and all five have been confirmed five days out.
I used four on one stay this summer at the Westin San Antonio (the hotel seemed extremely full but can't say for sure). Very nice room with two small balconies. Room for a chair on each, overlooking the pool.
And I'm very excited to see the upgrade for a one-night stay this weekend at the Westin Whistler. The hotel had been sold out and last week, I saw an opening for Saturday and booked it. Put in for an upgrade which confirmed five days out. From a studio suite without mountain view to a 1BR mountain view. Can't wait.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP,SPG 75
anyone heard more about this?

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....lite-upgrades/
Members will be able to select their core preferences either globally in their account, or varying for each individual stay (recognizing that needs can change by trip).

Starwood is adding upgrade preferences so that members can specify that perhaps they want the first available room as quickly as possible, or maybe what’s more important is view or room size.

Come mid-October they’re going to start capturing this information for every Platinum member.

And they’ll have more to say about upgrade improvements too in the coming months.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 1:30 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Sounds very interesting! Let's see what the program officially announces.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 7:29 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Keyser
i made an interesting observation this morning....i've booked 2 rooms at the same hotel for a 5 night stay....the first reservation was made using points & the second is a revenue stay....the system is allowing me to attach suite nights to the points reservation but not to the revenue reservation....i wonder why????
Similar issue at the Westin Sydney for an upcoming reservation. I used SNAs for the first reservation and it cleared yesterday and tried to use SNAs for the second room and it won't let me. They're both revenue stays.

I e-mailed the ambassador service and they said that they're also unable to due it due to a system limitation. Frustrating, as there is only a day or two left to sort this out.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 7:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by YouGeeElWhy
I recently completed a Diamond trial with Hyatt. And I can say with confidence that Hyatt's upgrade certs are hands down superior to Starwood's SNAs (as is their breakfast offering, but that's a different topic).

Ultimately, Starwood still wins my business because I prefer their hotels and points scheme over Hyatt. But as far as perks go, Hyatt leads by a mile. If I was more into perks than points, I'd drop Starwood for Hyatt in a second. With that in mind, it would be nice to see Starwood close the gap on perks by making their SNAs function more like Hyatt does.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by FederalFlyer
And I can say with confidence that Hyatt's upgrade certs are hands down superior to Starwood's SNAs
"Hands down" is in the eye of the beholder. Both have benefits the other one doesn't. I like being able to apply SNAs to award stays, that to me is just as if not more valuable than confirmation at booking for certain properties.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 12:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by silentbob1974
"Hands down" is in the eye of the beholder. Both have benefits the other one doesn't. I like being able to apply SNAs to award stays, that to me is just as if not more valuable than confirmation at booking for certain properties.
+1
Old Sep 7, 2014, 6:32 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by silentbob1974
+2 ... I think this is a major benefit compared to Hyatt, as *most* of the stays to which I'm going to apply SNA are award stays.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 8:56 pm

Just wondering if I should bother applying SNA's to the following:

2 Nights Le Meriden Pyramids
5 Nights Sheraton on the Park Sydney

Would these hotels have decent suites that I would not get as a plat? Would they even clear?
Old Sep 8, 2014, 7:47 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by DC777Fan
I think this is a major benefit compared to Hyatt, as *most* of the stays to which I'm going to apply SNA are award stays.
Half my cleared SNA stays were award stays so I also appreciate that feature, but all my SNA upgrades were nice-to-haves. On need-to-have stays I pay for a suite, which could mean booking away from SPG if their offerings aren't cost-effective. Thus the uncertain nature of SNAs cost SPG some big bookings.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 12:41 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by yvr76
Similar issue at the Westin Sydney for an upcoming reservation. I used SNAs for the first reservation and it cleared yesterday and tried to use SNAs for the second room and it won't let me. They're both revenue stays.
My ambassador says the second room I had booked was a promo rate that doesn't allow any changes (the rate was for a club room, but higher than the rate for the first room I used SNAs on) This is apparently restricting SNAs being applied to the room. She contacted the property, but I haven't heard anything back yet.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 8:28 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by megalab
Actually, it aligns with the expectations raised by the Lurker in the 1st post, including family vacations in Florida:
Thanks for finding this megalab, this was exactly the post I remembered reading, but your search and quote capability >>>> mine.

Originally Posted by EC Traveler
So I follow this thread pretty regularly because it has so much interest to me. Finally someone pointed out what is so frustrating. I realize that I am perhaps not in the majority but I agree that these provide "tangible" value when I travel with my family. I have a 10 y-o and 8 y-o and we plan 2-3 family trips per year where we may end up at 5 or 6 different Starwoods.
EC Traveler You absolutely nailed it for me. I regularly voluntarily downgrade when I am at a hotel for a couple hours and get upgraded. I really don't feel the need to have a suite when I am by myself and in a big city for less than 48 hours. Bed, Shower, get out. Where I see extreme value however is in nailing this upgrade 12 months, 8 months, or 5 months in advance when I am booking a special trip for my wife and I, or my wife and 2 kids. Much like Airline Yield Management, open up 1 or 2 suites for SNAs. I am not saying lose all the revenue in a hotel from paid upgrades, but make sure someone booking a year in advance can guarantee that special OWB or corner room.

Originally Posted by YouGeeElWhy
Cool post. This would exactly meet my needs, especially if confirming SNAs also at time of booking. Just last week, I downgraded a hotel in SF for 4 days in exchange for being able to check in at 10am (arrived at 8am at SFO) instead of waiting until 4-5pm for the suite.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 12:13 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by some dude
FHR reservations cannot be modified online as they are 'controlled' by the Amex Platinum/Centurion Travel Service. Since you cannot modify the reservation online, you cannot request the SNA.

Unless anyone else has information to the contrary, that's what I was told by SPG in the past.
You can call the Platinum Concierge line to have the SNA request added.

Originally Posted by yvr76
My ambassador says the second room I had booked was a promo rate that doesn't allow any changes (the rate was for a club room, but higher than the rate for the first room I used SNAs on) This is apparently restricting SNAs being applied to the room. She contacted the property, but I haven't heard anything back yet.
Well, if it's within 24 hours, couldn't your Ambassador just do their magic and get you a space-available upgrade, if it's indeed available?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.