Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Discussion: 10 Suite Night Awards (SNAs) for Plats with 50 nights in calendar year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Print Wikipost

Discussion: 10 Suite Night Awards (SNAs) for Plats with 50 nights in calendar year

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2014, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Recently stayed at the Grand Hyatt Goa with a fellow FTer. He was able to confirm his suite upgrade at the time of booking and was given a gorgeous suite. I was very jealous. SNAs have been a resounding failure.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by atxtraveler
I have to admit, I am thoroughly disappointed in the promise of SNAs and their actuality. I am a 25-30 stay a year player, but upped my ante this year and am currently at 53 and counting. I have earned awards now twice, so I have accrued a total of 20 SNAs. Not one single one has cleared. I really do not understand the point of them if they can not be confirmed at the time of request. We are talking about a "benefit" that is only applicable to people who have spent at absolute bare minimum $5000 a year ($100 four points fifty times), and yet this benefit is very tough to use.

I just got off a Platinum concierge call in which the representative was not even willing to call or write the general manager of the Sheraton Maldives to let me request the SNAs for my 10 year honeymoon trip, as the hotel says it is sold out of the SNA eligible rooms, yet all room types are bookable online right now.

Sorry for the rant... but honestly, the whole point of these things were to utilize them to guarantee a suite for those special trips...

Rant over.
Maybe another call the the Plat Desk will yield a better agent.

Also, remember, online inventory does not represent what is available for SNAs.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 12:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by spgplat21
You should follow-up on this with SPG. I had a similar situation where I was originally confirmed into the larger suite and ultimately downgraded to the lower level suite (that I did not originally select). The hotel was very apologetic and ultimately gave me enough points for one free night at the property. This was at the Phoenician pretty soon after SNAs came out.
I followed up with the property and we discovered that the suite types were distinct on spg.com and for SNAs but were always priced the same and were considered to be a single room category in the hotel's own system.

The hotel offered to return the SNAs (which were less valuable to me at that point as it was late in the year and would have been difficult to use the SNAs well) but, as I suspected, this could not be done. So they followed up with some alternatives.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 12:58 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I have to admit, I am thoroughly disappointed in the promise of SNAs and their actuality. I am a 25-30 stay a year player, but upped my ante this year and am currently at 53 and counting. I have earned awards now twice, so I have accrued a total of 20 SNAs. Not one single one has cleared. I really do not understand the point of them if they can not be confirmed at the time of request. We are talking about a "benefit" that is only applicable to people who have spent at absolute bare minimum $5000 a year ($100 four points fifty times), and yet this benefit is very tough to use.

I just got off a Platinum concierge call in which the representative was not even willing to call or write the general manager of the Sheraton Maldives to let me request the SNAs for my 10 year honeymoon trip, as the hotel says it is sold out of the SNA eligible rooms, yet all room types are bookable online right now.

Sorry for the rant... but honestly, the whole point of these things were to utilize them to guarantee a suite for those special trips...

Rant over.
You need to request the SNA use on line, not by phone. Ignore what the Plat Concierge told you and look at the reservation in your account. The opportunity to request SNAs should be at the top. Click through and enter your choices.

If this doesn't work for your reservation, contact the lurkers here. They can be very useful in helping people to request SNAs. The system is supposed to be automated but there can be glitches.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...I just got off a Platinum concierge call in which the representative was not even willing to call or write the general manager of the Sheraton Maldives to let me request the SNAs for my 10 year honeymoon trip, as the hotel says it is sold out of the SNA eligible rooms, yet all room types are bookable online right now....
SNA upgrades are automated. It needs to be processed by SPG. The property cannot process it.

Originally Posted by RogerD408
....Also, remember, online inventory does not represent what is available for SNAs.
That's the frustrating part for me. I also have a reservation for arrival today where suite type requested is available online yet SNA was rejected. My SNA was requested back in May. SNA clearance is based on availability of back end system which is different from what shows online.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 4:02 am

My very first SNA cleared!
Old Aug 20, 2014, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by TerryK
SNA upgrades are automated. It needs to be processed by SPG. The property cannot process it.

That's the frustrating part for me. I also have a reservation for arrival today where suite type requested is available online yet SNA was rejected. My SNA was requested back in May. SNA clearance is based on availability of back end system which is different from what shows online.
IME the odds are good that you'll get the suite as a Plat upgrade at check in and still keep the SNAs for future use.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite
Thanks for those suggesting I do it online. Of course I checked online first, just like of course I pressed search on Flyertalk and found this thread before creating my own.

I guess my next step is trying a Lurker.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 3:38 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum+Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Delta Plat, United Silver, AX Biz Cent
Just booked a reservation for 8 nights at the Canyon Suites @ Phoenician in Scottsdale, AZ, using the 4th night free promotion (which yields two free nights on an 8 night stay).

Requested 8-night SNA, and a few hours later, I received an email confirming that my Suite Night Award request has been fulfilled.

This is my first year as SPG Platinum since the SNA's were added, and this is my first time trying to redeem.

I'm mostly just posting since the thread is chock full of complaints -- and I wanted to point out that it does sometimes work as intended.

Hopefully this property does a good job on the SPG Platinum Breakfast
Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:23 pm

Have 10 that I don't plant to use. It will expire by the end of the year. Anyone want?
Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:40 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by TheJPretender
Have 10 that I don't plant to use. It will expire by the end of the year. Anyone want?
I could use 2. Is it OK if the stay starts this year but straddles 1/1/2015? Much appreciated!
Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by YXXFlyer
I could use 2. Is it OK if the stay starts this year but straddles 1/1/2015? Much appreciated!
Annnddd I offered too soon. Was going through my account on how to transfer SNA when this...

Can I give Suite Night Awards as a gift or transfer them to someone else?

Your Suite Night Awards are for your use only. You may not gift or transfer them. However, if you’re traveling with family and require two rooms you may request an upgrade for both rooms as long as you have enough Suite Night Awards to cover all nights for each room. Please note that both rooms must be confirmed under your name and you must stay in one of the rooms.

7. Suite Night Awards may not be transferred or given as a gift; however, a member may use Suite Night Awards for additional rooms on their own stay as long as member is present for the stay and the other rooms are under the member’s name.

Haven't kept with up FT or any bloggers in awhile. I thought TPG has an end of the year post about swapping/exchanging/giving awards before expiration date. If I remember, members were offering SNA's.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
deleted….had posted above FAQ's at the same time as TheJPretender.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:22 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by TheJPretender
Annnddd I offered too soon. Was going through my account on how to transfer SNA when this...

Can I give Suite Night Awards as a gift or transfer them to someone else?

Your Suite Night Awards are for your use only. You may not gift or transfer them. However, if you’re traveling with family and require two rooms you may request an upgrade for both rooms as long as you have enough Suite Night Awards to cover all nights for each room. Please note that both rooms must be confirmed under your name and you must stay in one of the rooms.

7. Suite Night Awards may not be transferred or given as a gift; however, a member may use Suite Night Awards for additional rooms on their own stay as long as member is present for the stay and the other rooms are under the member’s name.

Haven't kept with up FT or any bloggers in awhile. I thought TPG has an end of the year post about swapping/exchanging/giving awards before expiration date. If I remember, members were offering SNA's.
No worries. It was nice dreaming for a bit. Will get myself an additional 22 nights and get some SNA's for myself
Old Aug 28, 2014, 12:27 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, National EE
save you money.

Originally Posted by YXXFlyer
Quote: No worries. It was nice dreaming for a bit. Will get myself an additional 22 nights and get some SNA's for myself
If you mean doing mattress runs, you'd be better off saving that money to just pay for suites when you need them because they're just not reliable enough to count on when it matters most.

In the 36 stays since I've had SNAs only twice were they:
1) stays I wanted (but didn't need) a suite
AND
2) that hotel accepted SNAs for the type of suite I wanted
AND
3) granted the SNA when I wouldn't have simply gotten a Plat upgrade at check-in.

Those 6 SNAs had an incremental average retail value of (guessing) $75 each, but those were for nights where a suite was "nice to have", not a "must have" so I don't value them as such. I do appreciate SNAs as an enhancement to being Plat, but no way would I spend one penny extra to get them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.