Wiki Posts
Search

changes coming to SPG Pro

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC Elite, SPG Plat
changes coming to SPG Pro

Thank you for being an SPG® Pro member and for your hard work as a travel professional. As a valued SPG Pro member, we want to ensure you’re the first to learn about changes that will take place in 2018. These changes will affect your ability to earn Starpoints® for client bookings. The way SPG Pro members earn and redeem for personal travel will not change. Plus, you can take advantage of some exciting new offerings, including exclusive travel professional rates and eLearning modules to explore the full portfolio of brands across SPG and Marriott Rewards®. Please review the upcoming changes below.

ProLearning and STARPRO RatesBeginning January 2, 2018, ProLearning and STARPRO rates will be replaced by Marriott’s industry-leading Hotel Excellence! eLearning platform and exclusive Fam-Tastic® travel professional rates.* With these rates, you can explore participating brands across the SPG and Marriott Rewards portfolio at a more favorable discount than STARPRO rates.

Earning and redeeming StarpointsAs of January 2, 2018, SPG Pro members will no longer earn Starpoints or eligible nights toward elite status for client bookings. For client bookings made on or before January 1, 2018, SPG Pro members will still earn Starpoints — even if the stay occurs after January 1, 2018. Your Starpoints balance will not go away, and the way you earn and redeem for both personal travel and any meetings and events you book will remain the same.

We'll update you as program changes and enhancements occur. In the meantime, we encourage you to explore our expansive and distinctive portfolio of brands.

If you have any questions, please refer to our SPG Pro Program Upcoming Changes FAQ or contact our Customer Engagement Center.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 3:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jnswinnipeg
Thank you for being an SPG® Pro member and for your hard work as a travel professional. As a valued SPG Pro member, we want to ensure you’re the first to learn about changes that will take place in 2018. These changes will affect your ability to earn Starpoints® for client bookings. The way SPG Pro members earn and redeem for personal travel will not change. Plus, you can take advantage of some exciting new offerings, including exclusive travel professional rates and eLearning modules to explore the full portfolio of brands across SPG and Marriott Rewards®. Please review the upcoming changes below.

ProLearning and STARPRO RatesBeginning January 2, 2018, ProLearning and STARPRO rates will be replaced by Marriott’s industry-leading Hotel Excellence! eLearning platform and exclusive Fam-Tastic® travel professional rates.* With these rates, you can explore participating brands across the SPG and Marriott Rewards portfolio at a more favorable discount than STARPRO rates.

Earning and redeeming StarpointsAs of January 2, 2018, SPG Pro members will no longer earn Starpoints or eligible nights toward elite status for client bookings. For client bookings made on or before January 1, 2018, SPG Pro members will still earn Starpoints — even if the stay occurs after January 1, 2018. Your Starpoints balance will not go away, and the way you earn and redeem for both personal travel and any meetings and events you book will remain the same.

We'll update you as program changes and enhancements occur. In the meantime, we encourage you to explore our expansive and distinctive portfolio of brands.

If you have any questions, please refer to our SPG Pro Program Upcoming Changes FAQ or contact our Customer Engagement Center.
The link requires signing in, presumably as STARPRO.

Is there anything interesting in the FAQ? The OP is confusing in that the statement that "the way you earn....for.....any meetings and events you book will remain the same" seems to contradict the announcement earlier that you no longer earn Starpoints for client bookings.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Well that's confusing.

" SPG Pro members will no longer earn Starpoints or eligible nights toward elite status for client bookings. "
" the way you earn and redeem for both personal travel and any meetings and events you book will remain the same. "

" Unfortunately, you're not eligible for this communication. " - looks like my Pro membership has been removed. It would have been nice to be told that.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC Elite, SPG Plat

SPG Pro Program Changes FAQ

SPG® Pro Program & Earning Changes

Q: What is changing about SPG Pro benefits?

A: On January 2, 2018, SPG Pro Travel Professionals will no longer earn Starpoints® or eligible nights toward elite status for bookings they have made on behalf of their clients.

Q: Will I earn for bookings made on behalf of others prior to January 2, 2018?A: Travel Professionals will earn Starpoints for all bookings made prior to January 2, 2018, regardless of arrival date. Starpoints will not be awarded for any bookings made on or after January 2, 2018. Q: Can existing SPG Pro reservations still be modified or canceled?A: Yes, existing SPG Pro reservations can still be modified or canceled. These changes can still be made on spg.com or by calling our Customer Engagement Centers. Q: Can I still use the points I earned through SPG Pro?A: Absolutely. All points earned to date, and those earned for bookings made before January 2, 2018, are redeemable. And your Starpoints balance will not go away. Q: Will I still earn for booking meetings and events?

A: Yes, SPG Pro members can still earn Starpoints and eligible nights toward elite status for booking eligible meetings and events.

Q: Will I still be able to use my SPG member number to earn for my personal stays?A: Yes. Your personal SPG account will not be affected and you’ll keep the same number. You may continue to earn and redeem as an SPG member. Q: Will I still see past and upcoming client stays on spg.com?

A: Yes. You will still be able to view past and upcoming client stays on spg.com, even after January 2, 2018.

Q: Do I need to make any changes to my account with this update?A: No, you do not need to take any action. And you will still see relevant information in your account on spg.com and in the SPG app.

eLearning Changes

Q: What is happening to ProLearning?A: ProLearning will be replaced by Marriott’s Hotel Excellence! eLearning platform on January 2, 2018. Travel professionals with a valid agency accreditation (IATA, IATAN, ARC, CLIA or TIDS) will be able to access this training program by logging in Marriott.com/travelagents. Q: What is happening to STARPRO rates?

A: STARPRO rates will be retired effective January 2, 2018, and replaced with Fam-Tastic® rates at participating SPG and Marriott Rewards® hotels worldwide. Fam-Tastic rates offer a more favorable discount for eligible travel agents than STARPRO.

Q: What is the Hotel Excellence! eLearning platform?A: Hotel Excellence! is an online training program, specifically designed for professional travel consultants, to help them navigate the ever‐changing hotel industry and to help their clients choose hotels that best suit their needs and style. The training features interactive scenarios and streamlined tutorials suitable for both novice and seasoned travel professionals. The training is accessible on a multidevice platform to allow maximum flexibility and convenience. In addition to the core training, annual continuing-education recertification is required for eligibility for Fam‐Tastic benefits. Q: What are Fam-Tastic rates?A: The Fam‐Tastic program is recognized as the industry’s premier travel professional familiarization program. It is offered as an exclusive benefit to qualifying travel professionals who have successfully completed the Hotel Excellence! core training and the current year’s annual continuing education, and who are employed by a valid ARC, IATA, IATAN, TIDS or CLIA agency. Fam‐Tastic rates allow agents to familiarize themselves with SPG and Marriott Rewards hotels worldwide to better recommend them to their customers.

The Fam‐Tastic rate is a yieldable discounted rate that varies by brand. Qualifying travel professionals are eligible to book these rates (maximum four nights per stay) at participating hotels.

Effective January 2, 2018, Fam-Tastic rates will be available at participating SPG hotels. Q: What is required of a travel agent to gain access to Fam-Tastic rates?A: Qualifying travel professionals who have successfully completed the Hotel Excellence! core training and the current year’s annual continuing education, and who are employed by a valid ARC, IATA, IATAN, TIDS or CLIA agency may access the Fam-Tastic rate. U.S. travel professionals must have a valid IATAN VER number.
Beginning January 2, 2018, the SPG Pro ProLearning Loyalty and Brands training will count in lieu of the Hotel Excellence! core training completion. Q: What will happen to any upcoming reservations made at the STARPRO rate?

A: Reservations made prior to January 2, 2018, at the STARPRO rate will be honored.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 8:53 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
No doubt suddenly my secretary made all my hotel bookings for my 18Q1 travel so advanced... Now I know why

Likely that my secretary won't give preference to SPG hotels when making booking for me going forward... Guess this is not a good idea to "encourage" SPG Pro to book SPG hotels...

p.s. So SPG Pro is gone in 2018, would the entire SPG gone in 2019?
Old Nov 24, 2017, 7:24 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
While somewhat confusing, it appears that the distinction is that "travel professionals" (ie anyone booking travel for someone else) will no longer get points for reservations booked after 1/2/18, while "meeting planners", who book larger events, will continue to earn. I would assume that the big revenue is in the latter and SPG felt there wasn't enough value with the former likely feeling that the traveler predominantly dictates where they stay, so why incentivize the person booking the reservation? Clearly, that wouldn't be universal - ie some travelers wouldn't care about hotel, so in those situations, the person booking the reservation would be generating incremental revenue to SPG - but SPG's actions would suggest they feel this scenario is in the minority.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 5:56 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, MT Ambassador, HH Diamond, Accor Diamond, Avis President's Club, National Emerald Club
Does anyone know if Marriott Fam-Tastic rates are eligible for earning Marriott points and nights credits?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.