Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Discussion: 10 Suite Night Awards (SNAs) for Plats with 50 nights in calendar year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Print Wikipost

Discussion: 10 Suite Night Awards (SNAs) for Plats with 50 nights in calendar year

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2017, 10:10 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by JBG89
Are the chances of being upgraded to a larger/named suite higher while using a SNA?
Not in my experience. That really depends on hotel occupancy, how many suites a hotel has, the hotel management, how many Plats are on premises, whether one is Ambassador status, and an assortment of other factors that are hard to decipher.

Ultimately, IMO one should never expect a suite above the standard suite category as a regular Platinum upgrade or by using SNAs. It always will be at the hotel's discretion.

Last edited by bhrubin; Aug 8, 2017 at 10:38 am
Old Aug 8, 2017, 11:06 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by JBG89
Are the chances of being upgraded to a larger/named suite higher while using a SNA?
You can choose which suites you would like the SNAs to apply to. These can contain suites outside of the upgrade pool. I only apply SNAs to suites I really want, no sense in applying them to a lower quality suite which is what you would be upgraded to as a plat.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 9:31 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC, Natl EE
Originally Posted by geminidreams
You can choose which suites you would like the SNAs to apply to. These can contain suites outside of the upgrade pool. I only apply SNAs to suites I really want, no sense in applying them to a lower quality suite which is what you would be upgraded to as a plat.
Where do you indicate which suites you would accept? I totally agree with your rationale, no point in wasting a SNA for a junior suite.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 9:59 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by CommentatusMaximus
Where do you indicate which suites you would accept? I totally agree with your rationale, no point in wasting a SNA for a junior suite.
You'll be presented with choices as you step through the SNA process.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 9:16 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, FPC Platinum, Marriott/Ritz-Carlton Platinum Elite, Accor Platinum, AC SE, MPC SL
Hey fellow FTers,

Hoping you can clear up something for me rather quickly. I hit Platinum a few months ago so I will have Plat status for the remainder of 2017 and also 2018. I'm about to hit 50 nights at the end of this month (Aug 2017).

If I choose the 10 SNAs, do they all expire at the end of 2017? If so, this sucks. How many people hit 50 nights earlier in the year for them to have a good amount of time in the year to use the 10 SNAs?

If the above is true, is there any way to extend the expiry dates by calling SPG? If yes, how long can we usually extend them by?

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by JCFans
Hey fellow FTers,

Hoping you can clear up something for me rather quickly. I hit Platinum a few months ago so I will have Plat status for the remainder of 2017 and also 2018. I'm about to hit 50 nights at the end of this month (Aug 2017).

If I choose the 10 SNAs, do they all expire at the end of 2017? If so, this sucks. How many people hit 50 nights earlier in the year for them to have a good amount of time in the year to use the 10 SNAs?

If the above is true, is there any way to extend the expiry dates by calling SPG? If yes, how long can we usually extend them by?

Thanks in advance.
they will expire end of 2018....
JCFans and bhrubin like this.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, FPC Platinum, Marriott/Ritz-Carlton Platinum Elite, Accor Platinum, AC SE, MPC SL
Phew. Thanks for confirming. Must've read some of the reviews incorrectly!
Old Sep 13, 2017, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Ultimately, IMO one should never expect a suite above the standard suite category as a regular Platinum upgrade or by using SNAs. It always will be at the hotel's discretion.
Completely agreed -- that said, as I just posted in the upgrades thread, we were very recently upgraded further to a two-bedroom suite after getting a one-bedroom suite via SNA. This has happened to us one other time in recent years. So not likely, but definitely possible. Never go in expecting one though, that's a recipe for deserved disappointment.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 6:20 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Is the hotel compensated in any way by SPG for upgrading a plat on SNAs?
Old Sep 29, 2017, 8:39 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC, Natl EE
Originally Posted by Keyser
they will expire end of 2018....
GREAT, was wondering the same thing myself!
Old Oct 29, 2017, 1:54 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Got some nice options available this year IMO for 50 nights:

Stay 50 nights — get rewarded

Stay 50 eligible nights with SPG® in 2017 and you’ll earn a benefit of your choice from the following options:

10 Suite Night Awards™
The gift of Gold status for a friend or family member
One Free Night Award
Five Elite-Qualifying Nights
SPG donation to UNICEF
40% off your favorite hotel bed

Interested in this 40% off bed.... I remember seeing there are typical hefty promotions for Westin or W bed anyway?
Old Oct 29, 2017, 3:14 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by silentbob1974
Completely agreed -- that said, as I just posted in the upgrades thread, we were very recently upgraded further to a two-bedroom suite after getting a one-bedroom suite via SNA. This has happened to us one other time in recent years. So not likely, but definitely possible. Never go in expecting one though, that's a recipe for deserved disappointment.
While it is in the staff's discretion, it does happen enough to really make the SNA's the most valuable award IMO. Hotel Bristol in Sept, two nights on C+P, confirmed to Opera Suite, UPG'd to Bristol Suite.
silentbob1974 likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by rbAA
While it is in the staff's discretion, it does happen enough to really make the SNA's the most valuable award IMO. Hotel Bristol in Sept, two nights on C+P, confirmed to Opera Suite, UPG'd to Bristol Suite.
Agreed the potential is there, however as many of us find out at the real nice properties that we crave the suite and they are in demand, we get declined as they aren't guaranteed like Hyatt. I had 6 expire last year and right now still sitting on 8 with the hope I can use em. Love the concept just wish there was a better percentage that would clear.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 10:53 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by schley
Agreed the potential is there, however as many of us find out at the real nice properties that we crave the suite and they are in demand, we get declined as they aren't guaranteed like Hyatt. I had 6 expire last year and right now still sitting on 8 with the hope I can use em. Love the concept just wish there was a better percentage that would clear.
I've had an almost perfect record of suite upgrades with SNAs. But I choose the hotels and the dates very carefully for where I will use them.

I could be wrong, but I assume my almost perfect results with SNAs (and suite upgrades in almost every case even in the rare instances when my SNAs were declined) is a combined result of (1) my having SPG Plat100 Ambassador status (and my most amazing Ambassador!) and (2) rarely attempting or expecting SNA or even regular Plat upgrades in high season/holiday periods when hotels are likely fully occupied.

In my experience, too many Plat50s try to use their SNAs at hotels with fewer suites (most non luxury brands) or during high occupancy periods.

In the past two years, I've had SNAs clear at Prince de Galles Paris (4 nights upgraded even farther to Makassar Suite), Hote Imperial Vienna (3 nights upgraded even farther to Imperial Suite), StR San Francisco (3 nights upgraded every time even farther to Metropolitan Suite), Westin San Jose (2 nights upgraded even farther to Palm Suite), Gritti Palace Venice (4 nights upgraded even farther to Dalmatia Suite), Excelsior Gallia Milan (3 nights upgraded even farther to Atelier Suite), and Park Tower Knightsbridge London (2 nights).

The last time my SNAs didn't clear was in Nov 2015 over sold out Thanksgiving week at the StR Punta Mita..where we arrived and still were upgraded anyway to a Deluxe Suite. Not too shabby.

Last edited by bhrubin; Oct 30, 2017 at 11:20 am
Old Oct 30, 2017, 11:12 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
I just hit platinum 50 about 2 weeks ago.

When will i get to choose my rewards? (SNA, free night, ...)

I got only an email saying im platinum again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.