Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Discussion: 10 Suite Night Awards (SNAs) for Plats with 50 nights in calendar year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Print Wikipost

Discussion: 10 Suite Night Awards (SNAs) for Plats with 50 nights in calendar year

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2012, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Maybe it's true on average, but SPG has also now created an incentive for people to tack on cheap nights and to avoid the more expensive properties where the chances of a meaningful upgrade have been diminished. It could become a self fulfilling prophecy: treat an elite in a way that says the person is no longer valuable to you and guess what, there is a good chance the elite will respond in a way that makes them less valuable to you in the future. Incentives cut both ways, particularly when they take the form of suddenly punishing some people ex post in an ither/or rather than graduated way for failing to meet standards that were never announced or communicated to them.
You seem to be taking SPG's announcement very personally, but I guess none of us will really know how all this affects upgrades until this takes effect and even then there are so many factors so I say give it until fall/several stays before you get upset and use terms like punishing. I will make note i my calendar to revisit this post in the fall to see how you ended up!
Old Feb 3, 2012, 11:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Absolutely spot on!

This year I probably would have easily hit the 50 night total now that my annual redemption trip (typically a ski trip) will qualify as nights.

However I am shifting my normal behaviour of choosing a property and then deciding which room type would be the lowest I would be happy with which depending on the stay may be a regular room, a junior suite or suite or villa. Instead I will only choose properties where I would be moderately happy in the base room. Where I would not be happy in a base room I won't book a Starwood property. I will look for opportunities to maximise night credit at the minimal possible price. I will also think more about Cat 1 redemptions to pad out my night total.

I then intend to reset my Starwood relationship in 2013 and behave more normally. The suite night awards will probably save me quite a bit of money compared to my 2011 spend, so it is worth speculating a small amount on increasing my stays in 2012 by padding out cheap nights at the beginning and end of a trip, to deliver the sort of saving I think could be realised from hitting 50 nights.

This will lead to a significant cut in my overall spend with Starwood in 2012 even though I will stay a few more nights than I did in 2011. If my hunch pays off it will also lead to permanently lower annual spend with Starwood, so I guess I should join those welcoming the changes
I'm doing the same sort of analysis, although the extent to which I might want to come back to Starwood is also a question. I could decide to stick around just long enough to get lifetime Gold as an insurance policy for the 4 pm checkout in case SPG ends the AmEx relation qualification and in case I ever want to stay in a Starwood that is not in FHR.

Overall I had been extremely happy with SPG until a few days ago but I am extremely unhappy with the timing of these changes (particularly the zero sum upgrades into select standard suites) and especially the way they have been implemented. If something had been announced well before the end of 2011 or if the suite nights were graduated/proportional for this year only, I'm sure I would feel very differently about SPG now and probably would be very enthusiastic about the changes.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 11:26 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Indeed yet no hotel chain really recognises that differential in their programme. I honestly wonder why that is? Is it because they really have never thought that a 25 stay SR customer is more valuable than a 25 stay 4P customer or is there some other reason?
I suspect that they have been taking account of this in some form, but now it is overwhelmed by the new four tier system. Now these factors will affect rankings within the tiers, but the overriding criterion will be the number of nights. A PlatMinus is a PlatMinus is a PlatMinus.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 12:02 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, UA Premier
If something had been announced well before the end of 2011 or if the suite nights were graduated/proportional for this year only, I'm sure I would feel very differently about SPG now and probably would be very enthusiastic about the changes.
Exactly! The way this whole thing was handled is what makes me mad. The loyalty program should allow the member to make the decision on if a certain perk is important or not.

The sad thing about all of this is that it shouldn't be this hard...

To recognize our loyal customers who are Platinum but had under 50 nights in 2011, every 5 nights stayed equals 1 suite night. Starting in 2012, to earn this benefit, you must stay over 50 nights.

Am I missing something here?
Old Feb 3, 2012, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by ski1stoney
Exactly! The way this whole thing was handled is what makes me mad. The loyalty program should allow the member to make the decision on if a certain perk is important or not.

The sad thing about all of this is that it shouldn't be this hard...

To recognize our loyal customers who are Platinum but had under 50 nights in 2011, every 5 nights stayed equals 1 suite night. Starting in 2012, to earn this benefit, you must stay over 50 nights.

Am I missing something here?
This and get rid of the four tiers of Plat for this year.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
This and get rid of the four tiers of Plat for this year.
I think the ambassador and additional points/round the clock room benefits are fine, I question nights as the entry criteria but I care much less about those "enhancements" than I do the suite nights awards because they do not significantly dent the value of regular Plat.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 12:44 pm

I think the ambassador and additional points/round the clock room benefits are fine, I question nights as the entry criteria but I care much less about those "enhancements" than I do the suite nights awards because they do not significantly dent the value of regular Plat.
I'm not so sure that all of the new Ambassadors are so innocuous. Whenever an Ambassador contacts a property, this notifies the property that the guest is a Tier One Plat, thus that guest will be treated better than anyone else.

I'm also concerned about the source of the supply of new Ambassador agents. When AmEx PTS introduced Centurion, it seemed like all of the best agents went into training nd then worked with the new program, so that customer service was generally abysmal for everyone else for at least several years. One can even argue that their customer service level has never recovered.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I read this thread, and, somehow, the word "entitlement" keeps running through my mind....
Old Feb 3, 2012, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm also concerned about the source of the supply of new Ambassador agents. When AmEx PTS introduced Centurion, it seemed like all of the best agents went into training nd then worked with the new program, so that customer service was generally abysmal for everyone else for at least several years. One can even argue that their customer service level has never recovered.
Perhaps here in Europe all the best agents have been undergoing training for a while since it is now virtually impossible to find an English speaker without some or other form of thick accent in the service centre. To be fair to Starwood they did sort something for me, but a special arrangement to be able to understand the person at the other end of the line in a call centre really should not be necessary.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 2:14 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I read this thread, and, somehow, the word "entitlement" keeps running through my mind....
Indeed! +1.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 2:43 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by AJLondon
Indeed! +1.
Whereas 'repetition' is the word that keeps running through my mind.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 2:47 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Indeed. I do see the repetition too! But probably on the other side.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 3:05 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by AJLondon
Indeed. I do see the repetition too! But probably on the other side.
Absolutely - it's across both sides. I'm doing well to keep back from starting up again
Old Feb 3, 2012, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
It's funny but I see that too from the 50 night plus crowd following their windfall benefit but I guess that isn't what you mean
Old Feb 3, 2012, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
I called the Platinum desk (Ireland number) a couple of days ago to double check my nights in 2011.
The agent barely spoke any English and started looking through my account counted the nights manualy (in French...un, deux, trois ... ). After going through the account for several minutes she placed me on hold for another 15 minutes until I gave up.

Surely there is a nights / stay counter in the system somewhere and they don't have to add up the stays manually ?

Serves me right (again my fault) for calling the Ireland number (+353) instead of dialing the US 1-800 number.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.