SPG to Hyatt Points conversion rates

Old Jan 20, 2012, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
SPG to Hyatt Points conversion rates

Fellow Flyertalk members,

What are your thoughts on the possible conversion rates between SPG and Hyatt points.

Best regards,

Goodmorning2u
Old Jan 20, 2012, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U
Fellow Flyertalk members,

What are your thoughts on the possible conversion rates between SPG and Hyatt points.

Best regards,

Goodmorning2u
There is no direct trade between SPG and Hyatt points, could you explain the "possible" conversion?
Old Jan 22, 2012, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U
All converison rates from one hotel program to another are absolutely norrible.

Why should they be good? There is no incentive for one hotel program to give you good rates at another hotel program.

The paths, even when available, are very roundabout. For example, you can transfer to an airline, and then use the airline's hotel booking program (several airlines have these now) to book a vaiarty of hotels in a variety of programs (as well as independent ones). But both steps lose quite a bit of value.

Dunno about transfers (even lossy ones) into Hyatt specifically. You could transfer to Hilton (and Hilton only) not terribly lossy by transferring to AA (SPG : AA = 1:1 or sometimes even 1:1.25), then using Redeem AA Miles (while it continues to work, who knows for how long) to transfer AA : Hilton at 90k : 150k (plus $30 transfer fee). (You can also move to Priority Club this way for a while still, but I don't know the transfer ratio on that. There's a 150k/year AA transfer out limit, btw.)

That's the best SPG-to-other-hotel program transfer I can think of. And even that's not so great, unless you only need hotel stays in places where there Hilton HHonors properties but no SPG properties.

Last edited by sdsearch; Jan 24, 2012 at 1:43 pm Reason: formatting
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:06 am

You could also transfer SPG > Amtrak > Hilton
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
You could also transfer SPG > Amtrak > Hilton
Except transferring Amtrak > hotel (you can do either Hilton of Choice) requires either Amtrak elite status or $200+ Amtrax purchase (on the Amtrak credit card or any card? that I'm not sure) in the current (calendar?) year.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Except transferring Amtrak > hotel (you can do either Hilton of Choice) requires either Amtrak elite status or $200+ Amtrax purchase (on the Amtrak credit card or any card? that I'm not sure) in the current (calendar?) year.
OT here but SPG-AA or HA- hilton will offer you much better value than spg itself in many locations (maldives, FP etc).
Old Jan 23, 2012, 3:32 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
I personally value 1 Starwood point as = 1.5 Hyatt points.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Brendan
I think this is what the OP was actually looking for. Rather than actually, mechanically trying to transfer points, the conversion rate commentary suggests understanding the intrinsic value between points in the two programs.

I've been wondering the SPG : Hilton ratio for years. Haven't been able to adequately feel it out. I always thought 1 SPG : 5 Hilton as for base members, SPG earns 2 pts / $1 dollar spent and Hilton 10 pts / $1 dollar spent.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any hyatt points you would like to unload at this rate?
Originally Posted by Brendan
Old Jun 1, 2012, 7:49 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Could you transfer SPG points to Virgin Atlantic and then from there to Hilton? Does VA allow second-party transfers like that? I know HA doesn't.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 1:33 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
bump...
Old Aug 27, 2012, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00
Any hyatt points you would like to unload at this rate?
Ditto. I'd trade 1.5 Hyatt for 1 SPG point any day of the week.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 4:38 pm

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Jesperss
Ditto. I'd trade 1.5 Hyatt for 1 SPG point any day of the week.
Me three.

I'd value 2 Hyatt at 1 SPG. If one values a Hyatt point at 1.6 cpp, I'm very comfortable valuing SPG at 3.2 cpp. That's on the high side, I know, but I won't even think about redeeming SPG points for less than 3 cpp. I try to get at least 4 cpp.

Hyatt's valuation is rather U shaped. Their best redemptions are either at the low end or high end. At the top, the most you will ever pay is 22,000 points per night. At top end Park Hyatts, this is a steal. At the bottom end, base rooms start at 5,000 points. On a room that normally goes for at least $100, that's pretty good.

SPG's valuations are best at the mid to low end at suck at the high end. It's hard to get good value at Cat 6 & 7 properties, where Hyatt and Hilton both shine.

I don't know if this is luck or not, but I've found two places where I really like Hyatt's points offering. I was in Cincinnati a couple of weeks ago, and the only thing left is the Category 4 Westin. If they're not offering C&P, I don't want to stay. Hyatt had a Hyatt Place in Blue Ashe for 5,000 points a night. Sold.

The other is Bali. Right now, all *W has is Category 5, 6, and 7 properties. Their Cat 5 properties aren't worth the points, and 6&7 are bad redemption values. Hyatt has the Bali Hyatt in Sanur (base room 5k/night, club room 7k/night, and Suite for 8k/night) and the Grand Hyatt in Nusa Dua. I'm not a fan of Nusa Dua in general. I think that the Bali Hyatt is the best points option of all of Hyatt, *W, and Hilton in Bali.

OTOH, *W kicks Hyatt's arse in BKK. *W has Category 1-6 options, where Hyatt has one hotel.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DHAST
Me three.

I'd value 2 Hyatt at 1 SPG. If one values a Hyatt point at 1.6 cpp, I'm very comfortable valuing SPG at 3.2 cpp. ...
Head to CC and check. If anyone offers 2 Hyatt for 1 spg I will reply.
Ymmv of course and of course there are locations where spy has more properties but even in bkk you mention Hyatt is best aligned with sgs in terms of hotel quality and you can easily compare point pricing.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:38 am

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
I don't value Hyatt points at anything.

I'm still sore from Hyatt's purchase of Amerisuites: Hyatt decided that all my points had to be used within 3 months. Not so great for a loyal, but out-of-USA
customer. This is how Hyatt operates.

So if you trade for Hyatt points, have a plan to use them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.