Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Starwood 'to enter into a dominating agreement with Design Hotels'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starwood 'to enter into a dominating agreement with Design Hotels'

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2014, 1:31 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by aussieinsf
None of which would preclude an arrangement where these hotels could participate in SPG, perhaps with some modified terms and conditions and perhaps under a new, more flexible "design hotels" brand. SPG Total Rewards is one model.

Negotiating participation would be difficult as it would involve many independent properties, but it would also be an easier way to grow than trying to add hotels piecemeal through flipping properties from other chains, agreements around new builds or going after independents one by one.

I and many others I'm sure would hope for something more integrated than SPG Total Rewards if Starwood did bring Design Hotels under the SPG umbrella. Hope they do this - it would be fantastic to see really strong growth in Europe in particular.

Except that with Total Rewards Starwood is dealing with Ceasars. With "Brand Hotels" it is just a website. Starwood would have to negotiate with every one of the hotels individually and work out management agreements and brand standards with them--when many of the hotels have their own brand standards-- like Standard Hotels in LA--which is a separate brand entirely. It is way more complicated that dealing with Ceasars for a loose partnership between two existing hotel rewards programs.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Wow, this would be an amazing addition even if solely some of the hotels decided to partake in the SPG loyalty program. I've stayed at a bunch of Design Hotels in Scandinavia where Starwood's footprint is light. They were very nice.
Exactly. In addition to the Design Hotels brand, Starwood will now be able to offer the same properties a chance to affiliate with one of it's existing brands.

And who's to say the roadmap doesn't include some sort of SPG participation for the Design Hotels branded properties? The Luxury Collection shows Starwood isn't afraid of having a collection of unique properties under the same brand.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Wow, this would be an amazing addition even if solely some of the hotels decided to partake in the SPG loyalty program. I've stayed at a bunch of Design Hotels in Scandinavia where Starwood's footprint is light. They were very nice.
I agree, The Thief in Oslo is supposed to be fantastic, I have only had brunch there & it was great!
Old Mar 24, 2014, 4:33 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
I read about it on the biztravel.fvw.de website and did a google search that revealed that Roeland Vos started to be vice pres of Design Hotels AG in 2012. He's been starwoods director for europe before and I think this whole thing was planned for a long time. Maybe he will become pres of the company after starwood took fully over?

I believe that starwood plans to integrate Design Hotels in their booking sites somehow. The benefit for both sides are too obvious as to just see it as an invest outside of the starwood programs IMO.

It would make best sense IMO if starwood plans to offer Design Hotels as a separate brand within their booking sites and credit spg points for such bookings. Starwood could increase their european hotels bookings and its presence on this market and Design Hotels would have a new booking channel leading to more bookings via their own channels instead of giving 15% commission to other portals.

I would of course prefer full participation in spg - but probably there might be some limitations especially on the elite benefits side. I could live with that if on the other side the long neglected european market would get such a number of interesting new hotels to chose from. For me it would probably result in 10 more bookings per year via starwood if they integrate Design Hotels into the spg program at least partly.
Old May 27, 2014, 10:06 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
http://www.hospitalitynet.org/news/g...0/4065411.html

The above link seems to suggest a domination agreement has been signed which means Starwood will gain control management of Design Hotels. I assume this means Design Hotels will be integrated into SPG?
Old May 27, 2014, 10:16 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
This thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...tion-time.html might interest you.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:38 pm

Starwood New Brand: Design Hotels?

I know there have been a few threads from the past discussing Design Hotels and how it meant probably nothing to SPG.

This article is suggesting we may soon have Design Hotels as Starwood's tenth brand. Exciting news if true!

http://www.hotelchatter.com/story/20..._To_Its_Empire
Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why don't we merge this thread with:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...gn-hotels.html
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:39 pm
soy

Programs: various
not according to the CEO - http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/...-brands.94071/
Old Jul 30, 2014, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by soy

The quote from the CEO seems to refer more to his hesitation in starting up a new brand. Didn't really quote him being against the acquisition of an existing brand, though the title of the article seems to imply otherwise.

We should also merge this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...tion-time.html

Anyway, the idea of adding Design Hotels appeals to me

Since Le Meridien Khao Lak is not short of fans here, here's the Design Hotels member hotel in Khao Lak, which I also stayed in a few days after LMKL. Nice!

https://www.designhotels.com/hotels/...sa-de-la-flora

Last edited by travelswithmyself; Jul 30, 2014 at 12:42 am
Old Jul 30, 2014, 3:00 am

I don't think we should merge these othet threads as none of them had even been close to association with SPG. Anyway, up to the moderator.

Last edited by Xiaotung; Jul 30, 2014 at 3:01 am Reason: ,
Old Jul 30, 2014, 3:22 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
I very much hope current Design hotels will, whether they will be under a new brand name or not, be affiliated with SPG. It would do wonders in Europe!
Old Jul 30, 2014, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by remymartin
I very much hope current Design hotels will, whether they will be under a new brand name or not, be affiliated with SPG. It would do wonders in Europe!
+1

Would love The Thief in Oslo to be an SPG hotel!
Old Jul 30, 2014, 9:48 am
JK

Programs: BA Gold / OnBusiness, SPG Lifetime Plat 100, AmEx Centurion & BAPP, Superking Westin Heavenly Bed :)
Originally Posted by heakja
+1
+2

At least for me, I'd go as far as to say it would be near revolutionary!
Old Jul 30, 2014, 11:01 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Originally Posted by travelswithmyself
Since Le Meridien Khao Lak is not short of fans here, here's the Design Hotels member hotel in Khao Lak, which I also stayed in a few days after LMKL. Nice!

https://www.designhotels.com/hotels/...sa-de-la-flora
Just down the beach from the LM past Rim Lay, right? I feel like I remember them building this on my first visit to Khao Lak in 2009.

Would be a cool addition...as would many of the other hotels, I'm sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.