Wiki Posts
Search

Change room type after point increase

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2015, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Glob
Change room type after point increase

I booked a room a while ago and now the number of points per night has increased (same category, but peak dates).

I just checked today and noticed that the hotel now offers deluxe room (same size, but better view) for the same number of points per night as the standard room I booked.

When I clicked on change reservation online, there are options to change the Room & Bed or Rate. When I select Change to room or bed, I was given the option to change to the deluxe room. It's listed for the same (post increase) price as the standard room that I have.

What happens when I continue? Will it change the room type without deducting more points or will it cancel the existing reservation and create a new one?

Thanks so much.

Last edited by SP03; Oct 29, 2015 at 7:09 am Reason: Misspelling
Old Oct 29, 2015, 5:18 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by SP03
I booked a room a while ago and now the number of points per night has increased (same category, but peak dates).

I just checked today and noticed that the hotel now offers deluxe room (same size, but better view) for the same number of points per night as the standard room I booked.

When I clicked on change reservation online, there are options to change the Room & Bed or Rate. When I select Change to room or bed, I was given the option to change to the deluxe room. It's listed for the same (post increase) price as the standard room that I have.

What happens when I continue? When it change the room type without deducting more points or will it cancel the existing reservation and create a new one?

Thanks so much.
If you 'change' the reservation, the booking will not be cancelled. If you 'cancel' the original booking, you (in most situations) will get the points for your booking back in your account. Only if you cancel within days of arrival you might loose the points I believe.

So as long as you don't check in with 72 hours it really doesn't matter if you cancel or change.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Typically, any change to a reservation after a category/points increase will require the new points value for the room being booked. If I were you, I'd call and verify before making the change.

Whether it changes and deducts additional points of cancels and creates a new one, the pointy impact is going to be the same.

The scenario of changing a reservation to a more expensive room while not charging for the difference isn't one I envision happening. Try it with cash - why would changing from a $100 room to a room that is now $150 be made without you paying an extra $50?
Old Oct 29, 2015, 12:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Be careful about this. I had a situation where I asked a Plat Concierge very specifically and she said she was sure that she could change the reservation without cancelling it. I verified this several times before telling her to do it. She made the change and, sure enough, she cancelled the old reservation and made a new one, which was not what I wanted.

I think the OP wants to change to a better room type but still pay the old (lower) number of points. I don't think this will work because it will be a new reservation and thus require the new number of points.

IMO the best chance would be to contact the hotel and ask (this would be a favor) to get the better room type for the same number of points (state it clearly, including a clear mention of the exact number) as the current confirmation shows.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPRich
The scenario of changing a reservation to a more expensive room while not charging for the difference isn't one I envision happening. Try it with cash - why would changing from a $100 room to a room that is now $150 be made without you paying an extra $50?
The closest analogy I can think of would be currency devaluation after prepaying for a room. Both the basic and deluxe rooms are listed for the same points (and thus price). But because of the point increase after the booking was made (analogous to current devaluation), both rooms are now more expensive.

I was just trying to see if anyone has experience with making online changes to room type. Wouldn't this be similar to change a king standard room to a double? Does it cancel/redeposit and deduct points for a new reservation?
Old Oct 29, 2015, 5:14 pm

Since the property has absolute control over the room inventory and room assignments, I suggest that you reach out to the hotel and see if they can just assign you to the new room type. It would be like a pre-assigned upgrade if they agree to help without any point adjustment. Any other party who does a change would likely result in a reservation change that triggers a repricing (seems applicable) and a penalty (not applicable here for now).
Old Oct 29, 2015, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Be careful about this. I had a situation where I asked a Plat Concierge very specifically and she said she was sure that she could change the reservation without cancelling it. I verified this several times before telling her to do it. She made the change and, sure enough, she cancelled the old reservation and made a new one, which was not what I wanted.
That's why I would do it by phone. If this happens, you've received bad information directly from SPG and it would be difficult for them not to make a goodwill adjustment. Doing it on your own, even after asking by phone, wouldn't be as strong a position.

Did they make it right?
Old Oct 29, 2015, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SP03
I was just trying to see if anyone has experience with making online changes to room type. Wouldn't this be similar to change a king standard room to a double? Does it cancel/redeposit and deduct points for a new reservation?
I would think MSP's answer was clear enough. But if you want to try, let us know what happens.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 11:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CPRich
That's why I would do it by phone. If this happens, you've received bad information directly from SPG and it would be difficult for them not to make a goodwill adjustment. Doing it on your own, even after asking by phone, wouldn't be as strong a position.

Did they make it right?
They indeed did, although in a rather creative way that worked well for me. I was happy in the end.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions. I called SPG, but I was told by two people that making the change would result in re-pricing it to the current price.

I will try contacting the hotel to see if they would be open to changing the room type. Thanks
Old Oct 30, 2015, 9:51 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Always book first then cancel. If you contact Starwood, they will do that for you even if you don't have enough points in the bank.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.