Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

FAQ: New Benefit for SPG Members - Award & Cash + Points Nights Count Toward Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ: New Benefit for SPG Members - Award & Cash + Points Nights Count Toward Status

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2011, 9:24 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
From me, this gets a gigantic ^.

I do earn a majority of my SPG points from CC spend and use mostly C&P / Award nights as it's silly to pay cash (unless it's a poor redemption rate vs. cash) when I have so many points.

With the stays from the credit card and this, I only need 6 award or C&P stays to at least requalify for Gold (which helps overseas).

Sure, I see why people that earn most points from hotel stays see this as a downside, but I see it as mostly helping CC earners get Gold which they will see as an additional reason to stay loyal to SPG in general. And I don't see too many burning enough award stays in a year to make Gold...

Again, ^.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 9:33 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond,
Okay, so if I use the 4night get 5th day free on points, I will double dip and get 5 nights credit?

This is indeed a very nice perk included and makes requal much easier via point use instead of transferring points to miles.

Thank you SPG!
Old Sep 28, 2011, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
I apologize if I missed it...but does a 5th night free award count as 5 nights towards the 25/50 night requirement?

EDIT: found the answer. Yes.

Q: If a member redeems for five nights, does the Fifth Night Free also count toward elite status?

A: Yes, all nights of the redemption stay will count toward elite status qualification, including the Fifth Night Free Award.

Last edited by broadwayblue; Sep 28, 2011 at 9:57 pm
Old Sep 28, 2011, 9:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by toddml
While I realise it brings it inline with other programs
I think you mean exactly one other (major) program.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by sbtinme
I get that. That makes sense. But I'm struggling to see any other significant business reason to do it. In fact, I can think of a number of reasons that they shouldn't.

I think I must be missing something.
If I had to guess, "free" nights are likely joined to paid nights. In other words, people have enough for ONE or TWO free nights, but buy the rest of the nights they need (vs. not buying any since they can't afford to without the free nights). Mine's a really simple example, but you get the gist - encouraging people to spend miles brings in incremental revenue that they'd never otherwise get, vs. the miles just building up or being transferred out so that SPG earns no revenue whatsoever.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 10:00 pm

Location: SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold:AA Plat, Now retired but previous NWA PLAT 2 Million +, United 1K plus etc etc
This is great news and will work out perfectly for me! Having been Plat the last 11 straight years I'm a few stays short this year with mostly award stays the rest of the year, so I'm now saved by those counting!

Thanks
Bigshaker
Old Sep 28, 2011, 10:58 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTT; IHG DiamondAmb; WoH Globalist; UA1K2MM; NationalEE; AvisPC; HertzPC
So technically, someone can spend as little as 37,500 points to retain his/her platinum status a year...
Old Sep 28, 2011, 11:17 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
I thought about this new benifit a little. For me, it will decrease the total number of pay stays per year and replace it with less profitable point redemotion stays.

I think these few years, Starwood has opened more hotels - especially in China. However, the ratio of Number of Platinum members VS Number of hotels may not have grown. So maybe this is a way to increase the number of Gold and Plat members.

I do need to point out most of the new hotels seem to open in China. They are likely unprofitable due to high price compared to the local standards of living. So I speculate the number of Platinum members inside China is very low compared to the numbers in North America. So if they make it easier to qualify for gold and plat, then it may "increase" the total number of Gold members and Plat members.

Unfortunately, most of these new Gold/Plat will be in developed nations like North America.... We would be treated well in Asia where concentration of platinum members are low, but may not be treated as well in North America due to high concentration of plat members.

That's how I see it.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 11:22 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by mreed911
Mine's a really simple example, but you get the gist - encouraging people to spend miles brings in incremental revenue that they'd never otherwise get, vs. the miles just building up or being transferred out so that SPG earns no revenue whatsoever.
I think those SPG points are considered "liability" on a balance sheet. So they are considered unclaimed service a company need to provide.

So by reducing the total SPG points in circulation, they are decreasing the liability/debt on their balance sheet.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 11:36 pm

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
I think this is a great move. I am a former Platinum who has an SPG AMEX. Since I got the SPG AMEX, all my leisure travel has been on points. As a result, I am not close to Platinum, so I have taken to staying elsewhere if it is more convenient. Hyatt's, Hiltons, Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton, Preferred Hotels, etc. Now that my reward stays will count towards Platinum, I will probably focus my business spending back on Starwood to once again achieve Platinum.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 11:47 pm

Programs: DL (suckered me into) Diamond, ICH Plat RA, SPG Plat
As someone who would re-qualify for plat one way or the other, I find this to be great news. Bravo SPG! I'm sure SPG monitors the number of Platinums very carefully, and I doubt this will have a more dillutive effect than a double stays/night promotion. It only seems right to give a bump to people who stay in the hotel (and presumably have other spend on their stay), than to people who so happened to have business travel during a promotion period.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 12:03 am

Big thumbs up from me.^^

But it wouldn't be flyertalk if everyone was happy.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Great idea. And it will certainly help to keep SPG points within the chain. In the past I hardly had any award stays but used my points for other purposes. This will certainly change.

And I do not see too much problems with "heavy SPG Amex points users". Some people seem to forget that this CC is a US thing and this forum is a US dominated forum. Given that, this card plays an important role on this forum.

However, SPG markets are by far bigger than the US. I assume the biggest emerging market is China and Asia. SPG plays an important role in Europe and we are not spoiled by CC points. So on a global level, the importance of this step in regard of numbers of Platinums is by far lower than some assume from a US perspective. And the effect is certainly by far lower than the effect of these double-stay-promos.

A platinum member short on stays in a world without a SPG Amex might earn enough points for five award nights a year and this will not have a big effect on the number of Platinums.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
I like that this removes any confusion or second thinking about stay types: any stay is now a stay. Just like Plat benefits applied to paid, point or cash & point stays, this streamlines everything. ^

And knowing how many nights I've previously not had credited due to points or cash & points, this will likely boost my lifetime stay numbers going forward.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 12:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by yeunganson
I think those SPG points are considered "liability" on a balance sheet. So they are considered unclaimed service a company need to provide.

So by reducing the total SPG points in circulation, they are decreasing the liability/debt on their balance sheet.
Different deal, though. I'm ignoring the liability of the points, I'm talking specifically about the additional increased revenue spent due to "free" point stays, even if it's just as simple as a resort fee, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.