SPG vs HHonors as primary loyalty and points redemption

Subscribe
Hi all, I did some searching and couldn't find anything within a decade that talked about what I'm thinking so I'm going to go ahead and ask.

I've been a HHonors member for a few years now, hit Gold this year and will probably be doing a fair amount of traveling next year and might hit Diamond. For some reason I also have SPG Gold status (even though it clearly says I have zero stays since signing up in 2006) and my friend raves about SPG and loving them.

I don't really care, I just like a clean room in a decent location, and in my experience Hilton chains have been good about upgrading me when I ask for it at check-in. I'm just doing raw math and I can't figure out why in the world I would want to switch to SPG and was hoping that you guys might be able to tell me something that I couldn't find anywhere else.

With HHonors double dip I get 15 points per dollar spent and for a 50k category 7 means I'm spending $3,333 for a free night. With SPG I get one point per dollar spent and a 12k Sheraton redemption means I'm spending $12k to get a free night. Of course I'm not counting the quarterly bonuses or elite bonuses or other promotions, but even with SPG's current triple up that is $4k, or more likely as I won't be staying Thursday or Sunday nights $6k.

Am I missing something or is it really just that much easier to get free nights with HHonors at the sacrifice of the posh SPG hotels?
Quote: Hi all, I did some searching and couldn't find anything within a decade that talked about what I'm thinking so I'm going to go ahead and ask.

I've been a HHonors member for a few years now, hit Gold this year and will probably be doing a fair amount of traveling next year and might hit Diamond. For some reason I also have SPG Gold status (even though it clearly says I have zero stays since signing up in 2006) and my friend raves about SPG and loving them.

I don't really care, I just like a clean room in a decent location, and in my experience Hilton chains have been good about upgrading me when I ask for it at check-in. I'm just doing raw math and I can't figure out why in the world I would want to switch to SPG and was hoping that you guys might be able to tell me something that I couldn't find anywhere else.

With HHonors double dip I get 15 points per dollar spent and for a 50k category 7 means I'm spending $3,333 for a free night. With SPG I get one point per dollar spent and a 12k Sheraton redemption means I'm spending $12k to get a free night. Of course I'm not counting the quarterly bonuses or elite bonuses or other promotions, but even with SPG's current triple up that is $4k, or more likely as I won't be staying Thursday or Sunday nights $6k.

Am I missing something or is it really just that much easier to get free nights with HHonors at the sacrifice of the posh SPG hotels?
With SPG you get 2 points per dollar spent, so the 12k redemption means $6000 to get a free night or $3000/$2000 with double/triple up. On top of that you get an additional point for every dollar if you're SPG gold, so it's actually $4000/$2400/$1700 for normal/double/triple
Quote: With SPG you get 2 points per dollar spent, so the 12k redemption means $6000 to get a free night or $3000/$2000 with double/triple up. On top of that you get an additional point for every dollar if you're SPG gold, so it's actually $4000/$2400/$1700 for normal/double/triple
Oh I guess I WAS missing something pretty big. 2 points makes way more sense than 1. Thanks!
Quote: With SPG you get 2 points per dollar spent
I don't think so!
Quote: I don't think so!
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...g_terms.html#4

4A.1. When you become a Member, you are enrolled as a Preferred Guest.
4A.2. Preferred Guests will earn 2 base Starpoints for each U.S. dollar or equivalent of all Eligible Charges incurred and paid for by the Member at Participating Properties.
Quote: I don't think so!
This answer is kind of unclear. If you're saying, the OP wouldn't earn 2 points because he's an SPG Gold, that's quite correct. As the SPG website states: "Members at the Preferred Guest® level earn two Starpoints for every eligible U.S. dollar spent at over 1000 participating hotels or resorts booked through Starwood Web sites, hotels, call centers and their travel agent or corporate booking tool. Gold Preferred Guest® and Platinum Preferred Guest® members earn three Starpoints for every eligible U.S. dollar spent under the same booking criteria."

I took jschen's answer to reflect that policy.
Quote: https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...g_terms.html#4

4A.1. When you become a Member, you are enrolled as a Preferred Guest.
4A.2. Preferred Guests will earn 2 base Starpoints for each U.S. dollar or equivalent of all Eligible Charges incurred and paid for by the Member at Participating Properties.
plus you can also get 1 additional point if you pay with the SPG AMEX card so if you are a preferred member, you can get 3 pts. per dollar spent.
FWIW, in my experience, 1 SPG point = 4-5 HH points
Quote: plus you can also get 1 additional point if you pay with the SPG AMEX card so if you are a preferred member, you can get 3 pts. per dollar spent.
Close. You get two per dollar for hotels and associated charges at the hotel; one point for all other purchases. Since the OP is SPG Gold, he normally could earn five points per dollar for hotel stays, but with the current Double/Triple Up promotion, that number could go to 7 (4 for Preferred, 1 for elite status, 2 for Amex use) or 9 (6 for Preferred, 1 for elite status, and 2 for Amex use).
Quote: FWIW, in my experience, 1 SPG point = 4-5 HH points
Thank you, that helps incredibly to put into perspective.
Quote: With HHonors double dip I get 15 points per dollar spent and for a 50k category 7......
that is assuming you get a standard award. Hilton seems to be implementing a multi tier award system where one can't book a standard award if there are 'enhanced' awards available (i.e. suite award). If it was SPG's policy of a few k more in points for the upgrade, that would be one thing, but Hilton's enhanced awards (after standard awards are gone) are asking insane point levels (over double standard award rate).

I'm of the belief that once this system is full implemented, Hilton will drastically cut down on standard awards in an attempt to pluck HHonors members of their points.
i am SPG platinum and HH gold. Aside from the discussion here on how to compare what you spend to earn a free night ( and i think SPG wins overall, but not big) several other considerations put SPG way ahead overall IMHO. SPG website and consierge call in support are infinately better than HH offerings, SPG cash and points is much better than HH equivilent in both scope and value, both have been good to me for upgrades and it depends more on the property than the program, HH only wins on free breakfast, and not if in a sheraton or other SPG with exec lounge -- and to me that is not a big deal. Very worth getting SPG platinum vs gold while at HH stop at gold. Also i think SPG is fairer in classifying its hotels. comparatively more at top (5, 6, 7) that should be a level or 2 less.
I have been both SPG Plat and HH Diamond for about 10 years. I value SPG Plat more than HH Diamond. But I do need Hilton for a lot of my business travels, so it's useful to keep HH around. When I wasn't sure about being able to maintain both top status, I made sure I requalify for SPG Plat, and try to maintain HH Gold or better to keep the free breakfast benefits.

If you are interested in SPG, then you should continue with Hilton and achieve Diamond. Once you're a HH Diamond, then ask SPG for status match to Plat. I did SPG Plat the hard way, 25 stays in the first year with no real benefits.
I think beyond all else you should see if SPG or Hilton has more hotels in locations you frequent where you might use the points. I find that many places where I would use points, typically foreign cities on vacations, SPG is better. However, in the US that is not always the case.
Quote: I'm of the belief that once this system is full implemented, Hilton will drastically cut down on standard awards in an attempt to pluck HHonors members of their points.
i agree completely....