Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Uninvited guest had a key to my room / I was given a key to an occupied room

Uninvited guest had a key to my room / I was given a key to an occupied room

Old Sep 13, 2011, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
This has happened to me couple of times the other way. I have been given a key to a room that is already occupied. Luckily the other party has never been in the room when I have entered.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 8:33 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by WineAGcom
We all know this happens because to err is human. This doesn't mean we should accept it with a "things happen" attitude or "nothing bad happened so let it go". When something like this happens the hotel should step up and go above and beyond to make amends... to show a real concern for their error.
Here is where I disagree. Indeed, "nothing bad happened so let it go." Yes, this is an unfortunate mistake, but, seriously, what is the probability that anything really adverse would come from such a case?

And why is everyone's first inclination whenever a service provider makes a mistake to pull out the "compensation" card?
Old Sep 13, 2011, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by mecabq
And why is everyone's first inclination whenever a service provider makes a mistake to pull out the "compensation" card?
Isn't that the modus operandi for a FlyingStalkers member?
Old Sep 13, 2011, 8:43 am

Programs: EK Gold, SPG Plat, Radisson Gold, BA Silver HHonors Silver A Club, CSA Gold
Same thing happened to me in the Sheraton, Warsaw. Unfortunately for the poor chap who walked into my room, I dont take kindly to being awoken by strangers and he left with a few choice words following him into the corridor.

Stopped by the front desk and let them know the next day, didnt ask for compensation, and recieved a sincere apology. The next time I stayed there however I walked in on the biggest 4 room suite I have ever seen ^
Old Sep 13, 2011, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by jmastron
Imagine walking in on a battered spouse who's expecting trouble and prepared to defend his/her self? ... a woman travelling alone.
Haha!BINGO!
since you went there ... I know 3 different single women who when travelling by car, always have a handgun with themselves. That's why I never want to be given a key to an occupied room.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 9:59 am

Programs: SPG Plat, MAR Lifetime Plat, UAMM, AA3MM
Originally Posted by mecabq
Here is where I disagree. Indeed, "nothing bad happened so let it go." Yes, this is an unfortunate mistake, but, seriously, what is the probability that anything really adverse would come from such a case? And why is everyone's first inclination whenever a service provider makes a mistake to pull out the "compensation" card?
No question that too many people LOOK for ways to finagle stuff from service providers... the one I despise the most are those who pretend to threaten to leave a credit card company for the sole purpose of trying to pry some points/ miles or waive the annual fee... agreed. This is different. This is a major violation of a person's personal space and should be treated as a serious matter... and I feel a service provider should offer something of value when they screw up. Otherwise, what incentive do they have to clean up their act? It's a tangible way of showing they mean it when they say they're sorry.

Picture yourself sleeping in your hotel room and opening your eyes... there's a person standing in front of you. Isn't that enough to scare the living daylights out of you... even if the person was Mother Theresa?

The hotel should make a nice gesture to the guest in this case... that's all I'm saying.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I must be missing something here. The key system should be part of the overall hotel system. It is at SGS where I stay often. How does the rezzy system allow a room to be assigned to someone new when it's already assigned to a guest?
It may be integrated in some places, but in many hotels it's another machine on the side -- as far as I can tell, the clerk punches in a room number, number of days, and swipes a blank card to hand to you.

I'm happy to be corrected and told that all of these are high security systems integrated with the reservation computer, but then it wouldn't be possible to get a key to an occupied room (unless the previous guest was falsely checked out in the system or something).
Old Sep 13, 2011, 10:46 am

Programs: spg gold, CO Platinum, MR Gold
It may be integrated in some places, but in many hotels it's another machine on the side -- as far as I can tell, the clerk punches in a room number, number of days, and swipes a blank card to hand to you.

I'm happy to be corrected and told that all of these are high security systems integrated with the reservation computer, but then it wouldn't be possible to get a key to an occupied room (unless the previous guest was falsely checked out in the system or something).

it would be impossible to check someone into a room that is occupied as the hotel management system will alert the clerk. I think the problem lies where the morning staff preblocked guests and pre-made the keys (usually elite guest keys are pre-made) and somewhere along the line the room number was changed and the clerk failed to write down the different number and voila, you have been "checked into" an occupied room.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 10:58 am

Programs: SPG Plat, MAR Lifetime Plat, UAMM, AA3MM

Yes, in a perfect world everything would be integrated. Unfortunately, there is a hodgepodge of electronics out there and many (unless brand spankin new) are not as integrated as they should be. But even with the most state of the art fully integrated systems the human factor enters in... and they can issue you keys for the wrong room. I can remember checking into a room, say 500... but the deskperson gave me keys and a key jacket for room 600. Also, sometimes key packages are made up in advance and mix ups can occur. In any event, this is a reminder to all to ALWAYS latch the deadbolt.

Stay safe everyone.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 1:49 pm

It happens more frequently than imagined...

I disagree with the post arguing that both sides were at fault (the OP for not bolting the door), but I immediately got into the habit of bolting the door even if I am going to be in the room for a few minutes after my own experience. I checked into the Amsterdam Marriott hotel many years ago, and was only in the room for a few minutes when another guest opens the door and wheels in his suitcase. I said, "Sorry, I was here first", and then always began bolting hotel doors!
Old Sep 13, 2011, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
I can't claim this has ever happened to me, although I'm amused of how many people "have been on both sides of this".

This is a situation where compensation is warranted and to those who shrug your shoulders and say, big deal get on with life, you are severely discounting the situation IMO. I honestly never use my safety lock when in a hotel and never even really though to do so, but I see now why it would be a good idea. If nothing else it was an education.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 2:12 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Priority Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
I was given a key to an occupied room at a Four Points. A couple weeks prior to that it happened to my co-worker at the same hotel. They gave me 2,000 points (a free night there is 4,000) and he just was given a new room.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 5:45 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
If you reserve and pay for a Private Room to sleep in, and they didn't give you a Private Room (and I wouldn't be able to sleep if someone came in during the night, even if I bolted the door and put the dresser up against it afterward), then you shouldn't have to pay for it.

Many years ago I checked into a low-budget hotel with a friend. Left our bags, went out for dinner and some drinks, got back to our room around 11:30. Opened door, there were other people asleep in the bed. Our bags were still there, so we apologized, grabbed our bags, and went to the front desk. Only room available was a suite, so we gladly headed there. Could hear the other guests we had disturbed shouting at the front desk from that suite, though.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by 4now
Haha!BINGO!
since you went there ... I know 3 different single women who when travelling by car, always have a handgun with themselves. That's why I never want to be given a key to an occupied room.
Exactly. Or how about walking in on a SWAT team preparing for a drug bust in an adjoining room. Think they might be a little jumpy if the door just popped open while they're preparing to take down a potentially well armed dealer? NOW, let's talk compensation.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 6:10 pm
Tak

Programs:  UA 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, SPG Lifetime PLT, AMEX PLT
Usually, I did not like to talk about the compensation.

But in this case, at least points spent should be back to OP's account.
If I were the GM, I will give you a free night next time with upgrade and make sure OP has the comfortable stay.

This is not a noise/TV/Plumbing issues.
The security is one of the most important issues the hotel should maintain.
If no one was in the room, someone with a key could steal anything, and usually the hotel will not be responsible for the items left in the room, right?
If someone in the room(OP's case), it might create much bigger problem.

I know it happens frequently and I did have the experience, too.
However, this is a serious mistake by the hotel!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.