Wiki Posts
Search

Guests that SLAM DOORS

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2011, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat / Marriott Plat / Hertz PC
Guests that SLAM DOORS

What is it with people slamming their room doors? Do they not hear that it makes a loud noise? I have stayed at various hotels and it happens everywhere! It's not the hotels fault but the lack of common sense. The lack of common courtesy!

I am so disgusted with people and their blatant disregard for others. I am ready to actually get in a fist fight next time.

This week, same room slams his/her door 3-4 times a night. 2AM, 6AM, etc...

Not going to be nice anymore, I am not just going to ask the front desk to call you. I will ask myself and it won't be very nice.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 7:59 am

Could it be these doors are a litle stronger than your average home door (for fire and security) and self close (for security) thus being part of the problem.

Trust me I'm no fan of the noise either, but not sure if they are slamming doors...
Old Sep 9, 2011, 8:17 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXPPLT, United 1K, *wood PLT, Delta Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Southwest A-list
I completely agree! Maybe it is because I travel so much, but I always hold the door and close it very slowly. Especially since I am often up at 4 or 5 am to start my day. But some people are just out of control and so loud. Especially in cities where there are typically a lot of partying going on.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 8:30 am

Programs: Hyatt, Marriott, Delta, Alaska
First, AMEN! It is probably my top pet peeve of staying in hotels. If more hotels had dampeners on the doors, that would pretty much take care of the problem.

That being said, Hotel doors are very heavy, and close automatically, both conditions that don't exist in most peoples' homes. I understand how it can take someone by surprise. The FIRST time. After that, it's pretty much just cluelessness or thoughtlessness. I have spoken to more than one fellow guest (nicely) about the noise it creates, and that usually helps. I did have to slam my own door loudly one time for a bunch of them to realize how it sounded in THEIR rooms (it worked!).
Old Sep 9, 2011, 9:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
I think it is more that the doors have a strong closing mechanism to make sure they close all the way and the people just let go of them.

I know what when I check out early in the morning I try to close the door as carefully as possible so that I don't wake up the people in the rooms around me, but it still seems loud.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 9:49 am

[QUOTE=seaduck79;17081121]First, AMEN! It is probably my top pet peeve of staying in hotels. If more hotels had dampeners on the doors, that would pretty much take care of the problem.QUOTE]

Excellent thread. I am always surprised to see how some VERY expensive and fancy hotels have the most noisey door-construction ever, while you from time to time get pleasantly surprised by more budget-style hotels. For instance, I recently discovered that the doors at Aloft Harlem are shockingly quiet when being closed. WAY better than the W Union Square, where I spent the night before.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 9:54 am

That's nothing.

What I hate more is people feeling that it is okay to shout AND slam doors and laugh loudly etc. after 11pm in those open-middle triangular type hotel layouts where the rooms are on the perimeter and you can see down into the lobby down the middle. The echos / noise insulation in that kind of layout is terrible. I wish they had never come up with that design.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 10:10 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
avoid the Westin Philadelphia. Their doors are made to slam, it seems.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 11:22 am

Programs: Hyatt, Marriott, Delta, Alaska
Originally Posted by FrequentFlyer9000
That's nothing.

What I hate more is people feeling that it is okay to shout AND slam doors and laugh loudly etc. after 11pm in those open-middle triangular type hotel layouts where the rooms are on the perimeter and you can see down into the lobby down the middle. The echos / noise insulation in that kind of layout is terrible. I wish they had never come up with that design.
Nothing like staying in a hotel to realize how few people actually think about the people around them or understand that few people want to hear their noise late at night. Were these people raised by wolves?
Old Sep 9, 2011, 11:28 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, VS Red, BA Blue
What's also fun is when a neighbour props the door open with the security door limiter (the hard metal item that replaced chains), then come and go and allow it to slam closed on it. I've experienced that a lot, some hotel staff do this as well. I complain every time.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 11:30 am
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
Etiquette 101 should be mandatory in all schools and colleges. By the way, I've read somewhere that EVA Airways publishes an onboard etiquette brochure that is placed in all passenger's seats. That might be a good start.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 11:34 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, United Silver, National Exec
I am ready to actually get in a fist fight next time.

I can already see a future post...

What's the *^#@ deal with people? I accidently shut my hotel room door a bit too hard and some guy came out into the hall and punched me!
Old Sep 9, 2011, 12:23 pm

Programs: BA silver, Hyatt PLT, AA EXP, US silver, ICH RA, CO PLT
Originally Posted by PHLflying
Could it be these doors are a litle stronger than your average home door (for fire and security) and self close (for security) thus being part of the problem.

Trust me I'm no fan of the noise either, but not sure if they are slamming doors...
Exactly this has nothing to do with purposely slamming the door. I, sometime get surprised by how "heavy" are and I am young and in shape. I have seen my wife a few time struggling with hotel doors and just getting out of the way to let it close by it self.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Is it me, or is this mostly a US thing? It seems every time I stay in a US hotel, I get woken up too often by slamming doors. I think part of it is the modern fire rules that require these doors to slam hard if you let them close freely. The other part, I'm not sure. But even in modern hotels in Europe and Asia I don't seem to get woken up too often.

And I have really learned to love the old world hotels that haven't installed the modern doors!
Old Sep 9, 2011, 1:05 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
From my observations, I notice this more at lower end hotels where there are less road warriors/more small children and especially notice this more on non-elite floors. And non carpeted hallways are terrible for amplifying noise.
If you stay in a hotel room three or four times a year, you probably don't think about the fact that most room doors make quite a bit of noise when they close. In hotels full of road warriors, I notice more people are careful when they close doors. Besides, I always check my door to make sure it's locked after closing it.

If you ever see a maid or hotel staff worker who allows the door to slam shut, my recommendation is to talk to them very courteously but let them know that by allowing the door to slam shut, occupants in many rooms up and down the hallway hear it. Hopefully they'll pass that education on to other hotel workers - it's a simple way to 'pay it forward'.
I once got in from a redeye flight and the maid was doing major vacuuming just outside my door - hitting the same small area/baseboards for quite a while. I opened the door and nicely asked if she could do that later. She apologized and didn't come back for quite a few hours. This was ~10AM. Just because I was on a screwed up schedule doesn't mean the rest of the world was aware of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.