Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Get ready for SPG®’s newest promotion, SPG Triple Up

Get ready for SPG®’s newest promotion, SPG Triple Up

Old Aug 26, 2011, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by why fly
well that was easy 2 SPG hotels cancelled sent an email to manager telling them they are not participating in promotion so i will stay at another hotel.
+1

I had two Asia stays for November I was waiting to book in hopes of a great promotion. Nope, not with Starwood this go around. Not on the list! The slightly higher rates I could deal with, but lacking a promo there is no incentive to keep it with Starwood in Q4.

But am now happy to try out a new boutique hotel in the area instead (and earn Expedia points, FW cash back, in the process).
Old Aug 26, 2011, 3:08 pm

Programs: AlFursan, AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Avios, Bonvoy, All
Originally Posted by thomas199023
Most of my stays are in Germany.... This is just awfull... For me personally it is the worst SPG promo in a long time...

all excluded...
Ouch same here.....Q4 all in Frankfurt.....a shutout on this promo! Gonna look around harder now....
Old Aug 26, 2011, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG GLD
Originally Posted by DCFlyer0306
I'm thankful for the potential to earn some additional Starpoints, but think the targeting of Thurs/Sun nights is disappointing and it is unclear to me how it drives revenue (I'm not going to add a night onto my typical Mon - Thurs trip just to get an extra ~1000 StarPoints).

Plus the long list of non-participating properties is kind of embarrassing (wasn't there a similarly long list with some of the promos last year)?
I think that the point of this promo is that they have much higher occupancy mon-thur and SPG is trying to get more stays during the weekends. I am sure that the properties that opted out think that the occupancy boost is not worth the extra couple of percent that SPG is charging to be part of the promo.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 3:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by edwards183
I think that the point of this promo is that they have much higher occupancy mon-thur and SPG is trying to get more stays during the weekends.
If that were true, they would reward Friday and Saturday nights. I think they're doing better on weekends than on weekdays, and want to encourage work stays.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 3:29 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
After looking at the exclusions list, I think the best thing about this promo is the fact that we can finally put the speculation thread to bed. Seems like a "participating hotels" list would have been easier. Looks like I'll be doing the bare minimum to reach Plat. At least I have the United Mileage Plus changes to look forward to.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 3:44 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Truly disappointed. The list of non-part properties, as others has said, is quite absurd. Also disappointed in the lack of options compared to past promos.

Looks like I'll be doing some property jumping to keep plat...just have to make sure they're on the participating list...
Old Aug 26, 2011, 3:49 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976
I think SPG should require all hotels to participate, or else leave the program.
Absolutely 100%. They should be kicked out

My usual Four Points is on the list, I have 8 3 night stays booked between now and end of year. I will let the manager know that they are going elsewhere because of this. I can use slightly cheaper alternatives and credit them to US Air for the Grand Slam promo instead.

I thought this was ok at first but the list of non-participating hotels is an absolute insult to us and the program

In fact ALL the major promos suck right now so I will simply go by price and where I can get some additional bang for the buck such as grand slam
Old Aug 26, 2011, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by adamjh
Indeed. I'm planning trips to both Hyderabad & Sydney, and the non-participating hotels in both cities really weigh down the way I feel about the Westin/Sheraton brands & the SPG program
So fire off a quick email to those hotels telling them you're not staying with them because of their non-participation in the promo. Maybe you can help change their behavior for the next promo.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by starflyer
So fire off a quick email to those hotels telling them you're not staying with them because of their non-participation in the promo. Maybe you can help change their behavior for the next promo.
+1.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 3:58 pm

Already plat for the year by a mile. Just got done canceling 50 nights for the rest of the year. My SPG Ambassador asked why I cancelled and I indicated that none of the hotels I stay at are on the list. She stated she would share the feedback, but didn't think it would matter.

I think it would be valuable if one of the SPG Lurkers would take this feedback to the SPG marketing team so they can measure the number of cancelations that will occur between now and the end of the month. I would think this would not be driving the type of behavior they would be looking for from a large group of customers who frequent these popular hotels (which are excluded). It sounds like a lot of us are making itinerary changes based upon the limited properties participating in this promotion.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by AJLondon
And for ease of reference:
Looks like it would have been easier to list the participating ones.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 4:26 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976
I think SPG should require all hotels to participate, or else leave the program.
You want Starwood to become the size of Hyatt or maybe Kimpton?

It seems to me that the German properties have a habit of not participating in promos. But I'd rather have a choice of hotels in Germany than no choice at all.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 4:30 pm

Wow ALL hotels in HK are NOT participating. What a great promo!
Old Aug 26, 2011, 4:43 pm

I reformatted this a little bit but why is this so confusing to me? Can someone explain please?

Originally Posted by gfowler-ord-1k
Terms and Conditions:

Earning: Registered members will earn double Starpoints for all eligible charges during stays at participating properties during the promotion period. If an eligible stay at a participating property includes a Sunday or a Thursday night, the member will receive triple Starpoints for all eligible charges during his or her stay.

A member who earns double Starpoints will earn an additional two Starpoints per eligible US$1 spent at a participating property during the promotion period (for a total of four Starpoints per dollar). An elite member still earns one extra Starpoint per eligible US$1 spent, regardless of any bonusing that occurs (for a total of five Starpoints per dollar).

A member who earns triple Starpoints will earn an additional four Starpoints per eligible US$1 spent at a participating property during the promotion period (for a total of six Starpoints per dollar). An elite member still earns one extra Starpoint per eligible US$1 spent, regardless of any bonusing that occurs (for a total of seven Starpoints per dollar).

The triple Starpoints for stays including a Sunday or Thursday are in lieu of, not in addition to, double Starpoints. There is no limit to the number of bonus Starpoints that can be earned during the promotion period.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by infamousdx
I reformatted this a little bit but why is this so confusing to me? Can someone explain please?
What exactly do you find confusing?

On a $100 room rate,

Gold/Platinum - 700 points if a Sun/Thu is included, 500 points otherwise.
others - 600 points if a Sun/Thu is included, 400 points otherwise.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.