Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Which Starwood hotel in Hong Kong? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Starwood hotel in Hong Kong? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2011, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by highlander88
What's the benefit of towers rooms? So great no upgrades permitted?
There are substantial benefits to staying on the Towers floor (see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...ml#post3140525) which combined with the excellent Towers Lounge makes for a very nice stay.

The upgrade scheme (once figured out) is straightforward:

PLT booking standard room --> standard non-view suite
PLT booking Harbourview Room --> standard HV suite
Above with PLT Lounge access

PLT booking Towers room -->Towers non-view suite
PLT booking HV room --> Towers HV suite
Above with Towers Lounge access and breakfast option in Oyster Lounge

There are only a few of the Towers HV suites so YMMV; more often than not I just get a non-view suite (with which I am quite pleased). Interestingly, in many stays there I have never been given a Towers HV room as an upgrade.

The Sheraton Frankfurt Airport has a similar upgrade scheme, which is well worth figuring out as their Towers Lounge is one of the best in the world.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Is the W only a "slightly worse" location? While I would love an upgrade to the Harbour View Tower Suite (I'm a sucker for views), the SPG50 price on a tower city view suite was $HK4000, so if they are not upgrading from regular tower rooms, I guess no dice there.

I'm only staying for about 18 hours (arrive 18:45 from LAX, leave 16:40 from HKG). So I'm wondering if convenience to the airport makes up for the extra time to see the sights in the limited time we have.

On the other hand, the only reason we are making the stop is to squeeze some HK flavor out of a connection, otherwise I wouldn't need to stop overnight.

So I think it really comes down to convenience, view, and room quality (don't care about breakfast). Does the short layover make the hotel choice easier?
Old Jul 15, 2011, 8:33 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Originally Posted by beachfan
Is the W only a "slightly worse" location? While I would love an upgrade to the Harbour View Tower Suite (I'm a sucker for views), the SPG50 price on a tower city view suite was $HK4000, so if they are not upgrading from regular tower rooms, I guess no dice there.

I'm only staying for about 18 hours (arrive 18:45 from LAX, leave 16:40 from HKG). So I'm wondering if convenience to the airport makes up for the extra time to see the sights in the limited time we have.

On the other hand, the only reason we are making the stop is to squeeze some HK flavor out of a connection, otherwise I wouldn't need to stop overnight.

So I think it really comes down to convenience, view, and room quality (don't care about breakfast). Does the short layover make the hotel choice easier?
With a short layover, definitely the Sheraton. It is right in the heart of Kowloon, walk a few blocks to the Star Ferry or subway across the street. Easy access to what you will want to see and do.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by DFW DL
There are substantial benefits to staying on the Towers floor (see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...ml#post3140525) which combined with the excellent Towers Lounge makes for a very nice stay.

The upgrade scheme (once figured out) is straightforward:

PLT booking standard room --> standard non-view suite
PLT booking Harbourview Room --> standard HV suite
Above with PLT Lounge access

PLT booking Towers room -->Towers non-view suite
PLT booking HV room --> Towers HV suite
Above with Towers Lounge access and breakfast option in Oyster Lounge

There are only a few of the Towers HV suites so YMMV; more often than not I just get a non-view suite (with which I am quite pleased). Interestingly, in many stays there I have never been given a Towers HV room as an upgrade.

The Sheraton Frankfurt Airport has a similar upgrade scheme, which is well worth figuring out as their Towers Lounge is one of the best in the world.
I know this hotel pretty well but have never figured out THIS (or better: SUCH) scheme. There is only ONE Towers HV suite and this is not considered a standard select suite availabe for upgrade.

You further forget that there are two types of harbour view rooms (even if they do not publish these): You have the smaller rooms closer the elevators (or the PEN) and the larger rooms (closer to the IC). Not a big difference, but mabybe a few squaremeters.

I always get a Towers HV rooms as an upgrade from a normals Towers room (and I kindly declice a suite with Kowloon view), but I never ever got an upgrade to THE HV Towers suite (have however booked this a few times, great deal on SPG50).

There simply are no regular upgrades between the "normal" and the Towers sections. The consider it to be a "different hotel". You are always free to pay extra to stay there and this is a pretty good deal.

Cheers
TFL
Old Jul 19, 2011, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
I was hoping I could get some pointers on my upcoming stay in Hong Kong. In the past I have stayed for 2-3 nights. My office is in Wan Chai right near the convention center, so I have typically stayed at the Renaissance since it is right next door. A 10 night stay will re-qual me for platinum, so I am going to stay at an SPG property this time.

I currently have a reservation booked at the LM Cyberport, but am considering changing to the Sheraton. The LM is cheaper, but I would probably take a cab into central every day which seems to be $10-$15US each way (I know there is a shuttle as an option as well).

If I stayed at the Sheraton then it looks like the Tsim Sha Tsui ferry to Wan Chai is the best way for me to cross the harbor to get to the office. It looks like a monthly pass is $16USD Does anyone know if it often too crowded to get on in the mornings, and how long the ferry takes? The schedule shows that it comes every 8-11 minutes, so I assume that is the time needed to cross the harbor?

It seems like the Sheraton is a bit better with upgrades for plats, and a nicer room on the extended stay would be nice. I would also like to use the gym a bunch and run locally if possible. I will be there over the weekend on my own, so I may take the ferry to Macau and see some tourist type things. I'm not really into the HK nightlife / bars, etc.

What do you guys think the best choice for me would be?
Old Jul 19, 2011, 3:42 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
I like the Sheraton and although a bit more than the LM it is certainly cheaper than the W. As far as going to your office from the Sheraton you actually have two choices: the ferry or the MTR. If you take the MTR one stop to Admiralty and then change trains Wanchai is the next stop on the island line. I actually think this is a bit faster than the ferry. The walk to the ferry is about 10 minutes and and they run about every 15 minutes or so. If there is a big convention in town you may have to actually stand in line to get on one. Also, in the rain the MTR is the way to go. As far as paying for either, get an octopus card at the MTR station. It is a stored value card that works on the ferry, MTR, airport express and at a lot of the stores in town.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by abk
I like the Sheraton and although a bit more than the LM it is certainly cheaper than the W. As far as going to your office from the Sheraton you actually have two choices: the ferry or the MTR. If you take the MTR one stop to Admiralty and then change trains Wanchai is the next stop on the island line. I actually think this is a bit faster than the ferry. The walk to the ferry is about 10 minutes and and they run about every 15 minutes or so. If there is a big convention in town you may have to actually stand in line to get on one. Also, in the rain the MTR is the way to go. As far as paying for either, get an octopus card at the MTR station. It is a stored value card that works on the ferry, MTR, airport express and at a lot of the stores in town.
I agree that the Sheraton is the way to go, but if the office is basically at the convention center, the walk from the Wan Chai MTR will probably be about the same distance as the Sheraton is from the TST Star Ferry Terminal. I think both options would take about the same time, but I'd still opt for the Star Ferry every time. Sailing across the harbor is one of the most enjoyable commutes in the world.

As far as the Sheraton gym goes, it opens at 6 am and fills up very quickly at that time (apparently I'm not the only one who gets jetlag). The W's is open 24 hours a day. The potential W upgrade is better than what you'd get at the Sheraton, but as a platinum, you would likely get a harbour view room or a non-view suite at the Sheraton (put whatever you'd prefer in the notes section of your reservation).

If you choose the Sheraton, I would book a Towers room; the experience is vastly superior than the main hotel IMO.

I have never stayed at the LM and would never consider it. It is simply too isolated and out of the way for me.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sheraton and the ferry.

The ferry is a more enjoyable commute than the MTR in my opinion.

I agree with the poster about the walk from MTR to your office is about the same as the walk from Sheraton to TST Ferry Pier.

Le Meridien is not practical for your purpose. However it may be good for a leisure trip that is longer than a few days. The green space in that area is a big plus.

There are mini-bus station right near Le Meridien - it is below HKD 10.00 to Central but takes about 20 minutes. The mini-bus (14 seats van) runs frequently so only slightly more time than taxi if you happen to wait a bit.

If you can get a suite upgrade at LM, it may be worth the added commute with the option of mini-bus being much cheaper than taxi.

Last edited by Happy; Jul 19, 2011 at 10:47 pm
Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Thanks everyone. I just cancelled my reservation at LM and rebooked at the Sheraton
Old Jul 20, 2011, 8:25 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, United 1K, Star Alliance Gold
I've had multiple stays at both the Towers and W and had great experiences.

Always been upgraded to a Fantastic Suite at the W. And have always chosen the Suite (over the harbor view) at the Towers.

I think it depends on your situation. If I am traveling for work I prefer the Sheraton Towers because of the breakfast options for plats and for the cocktail hour. I like the convenience.

I know this goes against what people say of the W brand in general...if traveling with family, the W Hong Kong is great with kids and offers the Elements Mall (including the rooftop restaurants where kids can run around and the ice skating rink), and the rooftop pool. Quick hop over the Central on the MTR as well. This W is child friendly.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 8:54 am

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
I usually split my stays between Sheraton and W when I'm in HKG.

Sheraton provides breakfast buffet (cold and hot). Small lounge gives you free soda all day long (a big plus esp in the summer) Drinks in evening. Location is ideal. Tons of cheap(er) eats around. Non-view suites are huge.

Sheraton tower has nicer rooms, better lounge, better breakfast. I personally wouldn't pay for that again. I'm in HK and I rarely stay in the room, and food is plenty good outside the hotel.

W is nice. I normally will move there before my flights so I can check in immediately after I check out of the hotel. Restaurants in Elements mall are more highend but not necessarily better quality. Hotel lobby area can be packed when they have functions (and they do frequently). Pool is nicer than Sheraton. Service-wise is hit or miss. It took them 20 minutes to check me in. And I only get upgraded 70% of the time (they're fully booked).

LM is far, but there is always cab. They tried very hard. Upgraded to HUGE ocean view suite. Good restaurants inside hotel, but not much elsewhere. It's good place if you want to take a break from the crowds.

If I have to pay, I'll stay at Sheraton. If I use points, I'll go with W.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:11 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by tncjoey
I know this goes against what people say of the W brand in general...if traveling with family, the W Hong Kong is great with kids and offers the Elements Mall (including the rooftop restaurants where kids can run around and the ice skating rink), and the rooftop pool. Quick hop over the Central on the MTR as well. This W is child friendly.
This is correct. Only negative about W HKG is it is often over run with children.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 11:33 pm

Programs: MH Enrich, VS FC, HH Gold, PC, SPG Gold, Marco Polo Gold, Accor Plat
Hi Guys,

I was wondering what are the upgrades like for SPG Gold for Sheraton HKG and W HKG?

Also how does one obtain lounge access in either hotels? i.e. can we pay cash to obtain entry etc.

Thanks,
K.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 12:10 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
The W doesn't have a lounge. The lounge at the Sheraton is tiny and offers a poor selection of food/drinks. I wouldn't bother paying for that.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 12:19 am

Programs: MH Enrich, VS FC, HH Gold, PC, SPG Gold, Marco Polo Gold, Accor Plat
Thanks for the info Pity the W HKG doesn't offer cash+Points with SPG....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.