Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Westin Lima Hotel & Convention Center, Lima, Peru [Master Thread]

Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
Peruvian Tax Information

Per local tax laws, an 18% tax must be paid by Peruvian citizens and foreigners staying more than 59 days in Peru. To be exempt from this 18% tax (IVA), a guest must present both a valid, original passport and a copy of an immigration card. Guests who are unable to present both documents will be required to pay the tax.
Print Wikipost

The Westin Lima Hotel & Convention Center, Lima, Peru [Master Thread]

Old Jul 4, 2014, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by BrianLo
Unless someone speaks up - I'll be headed here and the Sheraton at the start of August and can report back for you guys.
Have a look at:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...-thread-9.html

especially my post #130 and others in this thread.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 6:12 am

Programs: SPG Plat 100, A3*G
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I will be in Lima for not even 24 hrs in Oct. Trying to decide between the Westin and the Sheraton.

Westin (cat 5) is available on a prepaid rate of $116. (I hate prepaid rates.)
Sheraton (cat 2) is $307 on a prepaid rate, but I have a BRG approved at $106 plus 2000 pts.

I'm guessing the Sheraton is so expensive because there is a convention going on?

Which should I go with? I've never been to Lima so would like to see what I can in my very brief stay. Also, how do the lounges compare for the 2 properties?

TIA
I have the same situation (less than 24 hours in Lima) and I think I have the same BRG for the Sheraton

I'm actually deciding between Sheraton and Four Points.

Would Westin be better? Seems to be at least $200-250 for the dates I'm looking at.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 1:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
Stayed here on cash & points for a night.

Overally I was impressed. The place is beautifully decorated and it feels like a big city hotel.

The lounge for Platinum guests is superb. The best view in the city (although in winter the fog never lifts and you can feel as though you are at the ends of the earth!)

The evening snacks were delicious. A real variety too of hot and cold plates. There was nobody there when I went in so most of it was simply going to waste!

That said, the place feels new, the rooms are beautifully decorated - lots of nice wood and decent lighting.

There only slight stain on my experience was that they tried to scam me out of an approved SNA! I had been confirmed for an executive suite... and when I got to the room, I thought that I had indeed been given such a room. I even confirmed with the desk downstairs.

But, thank goodness for the SPG app which told me there was supposed to be an additional room / study. I called down to tell them I had searched all over but couldn't find the additional room they were talking about.

They moved me. But I felt as though they had tried to cheat me out of it somewhat - they told me over the phone that there had been a mistake! So needless IMO.

Also - they keep pushing their own taxis on you. These are big posh cars that sit outside the property. It's fine if you're here on someone else's dime, otherwise get them to call 55555 taxis. They are A THIRD of the price. They'll try and convince you to take one of their rip-off cabs, but why should you? This place is supposed to be a bargain. Don't let them spoil it!
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:24 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
The Westin Lima Hotel & Convention Center

Guess it's now called The Westin Lima Hotel & Convention Center.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 12:46 am

Programs: SPG 75 Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Delta PM, AA EXP
I've stayed here for roughly 5-8 days the past two winters and will be visiting again this January. It's a bit of a mixed bag, but overall a good value for off peak winter rates.

I only stay here if the rate is $125 or so a night, if it's higher I go ahead and just burn 4000 points on the Sheraton. It's not as shiny as the Westin, but I'm 6/6 for getting a suite at the Sheraton without any problem.

Like others said the lounge is amazing, and usually has hearty meals out for breakfast and lunch. I've never seen more than 3 other people ever in it. The view alone is one of my favorite things of this property.

First stay in 2013 I was automatically given an executive suite as a platinum (bedroom, full bath, then a half bath, dining room area, and living room).

Second stay in 2013 a week later I was given a 2 BR suite with a full kitchen, dining room, etc. Presumably since my original room wasn't ready they didn't want to keep me waiting.

2014-
Had to pester them a bit when they didn't put me in a full executive suite, the front desk acted like they were doing me a favor. Somehow my friend who checked in earlier was given one as an SPG gold...
He then got someone at the front desk to confirm me back into one of the larger 2BR suites, and I said I'll just move in the morning. Next morning no one at the desk had no record of anything

Only used the fitness center once but it was pretty spacious. We only used the hotel car once as a novelty after dinner and it was not worth the money. We usually just got around with the local cabs and negotiated.

I do not know what the Breakfast amenity for a platinum would be, but I may choose it this upcoming stay and will report back.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 4:13 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Titanium and LTT
I recently completed a 3-night stay here. We were originally booked at the Four Points in Miraflores but my husband broke his ankle prior to our trip so I decided to change our booking to the Westin to be in more of a "full service" hotel (e.g. Indoor pool, lounge).

I was concerned about the less desirable location of the Westin, or so I had been told, but to be honest it was perfect for us. We are big walkers (even in a walking cast), especially when touring new cities, and the location between Miraflores and the historic center was perfect. We walked to and from Miraflores the first day (about 3.5 miles each way through perfectly decent neighborhoods), to the historic center the next day (about 5 miles - things got a little dodgy by the bus station and much of the walk was not particularly "scenic" but again, we were fine), and then to Barranco the third day (quite far). We went back through Miraflores getting to Barranco and while it's a lovely neighborhood I didn't regret the fact that we weren't staying there. Our one big dinner was at Astrid y Gaston in San Isidro which ended up being very convenient to the hotel.

We were automatically upgraded to an Executive Suite which was modern and spacious, and had excellent views of the city. As others have said, the Executive Lounge was nearly empty every evening. It had great views and a very good selection of food - lots of appetizers and then a hot dish which we made "dinner" two of the nights. We had to order wine from the staff (usually hunting them down to order it), and there was a weird system in place where they had to put everything into a register and then each night before leaving we'd have to sign a zero-sum bill listing what we'd consumed.

My rate included breakfast so we had that each morning in the restaurant. Despite the hotel appearing to be quite vacant the restaurant was very busy in the mornings with what appeared to be lots of local business breakfasts. The restaurant was fairly characterless in decor but the buffet was more than decent - cold cuts, cheeses, tons of breads and spreads, quite a few hot dishes, salad, smoothies, yogurts, cereals, fruits, you name it. Even a congee of the day. You could also order from a menu which included omelets, pancakes, etc. The only strange thing was that despite having about 10 different juices out, there was no water and we had to pay for the water we ordered.

The gym was great for a hotel gym and always empty. The indoor pool was beautiful, adequately heated, and also always empty.

As a Platinum we were also given two coupons for a "welcome drink" which we took one evening in the designated bar (there are several). The bar was pretty happening even on a weeknight and the complimentary drink was a nice touch. As Platinum we also were offered one free piece of clothing laundered, which I was then charged for at checkout and required 3 staff to verify that it should have been included. It doesn't seem like the get a lot of Plats (based on lounge occupancy), or perhaps no one takes advantage of that benefit because it took me pulling out my welcome letter stating the free laundry to finally get the charge removed.

Overall a great stay and I wouldn't hesitate to return. We heard a lot of "horror stories" about the safety and condition of the city but didn't find the area and surrounding areas bad at all. We even walked around at night with a small child and someone in a cast. The staff actually chuckled a bit when I asked if it was safe.

Also, we had the staff at Astrid y Gaston call us a taxi back to the hotel, and we got a ride back in a Mercedes for 12 soles, which was totally worth it after being stuffed silly.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 5:09 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Currently at the hotel. Location not the best (can't really walk to anything) but an exquisite room, platinum lounge great, gym is impressive. Will let you know about breakfast in a bit
Old Nov 16, 2017, 2:43 am

Programs: HGP Globalist, SPG P100, Hilton Dia
Is there any recent update on this hotel? I am planning my trip to Lima. As it is my first visit to Lima, would you guys recommend this hotel over Sheraton?

Also, does anyone know / remember the breakfast / happy hour hours of the platinum lounge?

Thanks!
Old Nov 19, 2017, 9:21 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium

I am posting this from an executive suite now. This Westin is absolutely amazing in every way. It is in our cell phone notes now under "Lima: don't travel to this city unless we book the Westin"

Attached is a photo of the lounge info sheet with hours.

Best SNA redemption thus far. Stayed at Four Points Miraflores last night (as a platinum was given a suite there as well). We wanted to see both areas

Also, as a tip for anyone else... The SPG app adds 18% tax to its rate quote which is NOT charged to foreign visitors. Had I known that, I would have paid cash for the four points instead of redeeming SPG points.
l380 likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 9:26 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Is this the same establishment as westin lima hotel and convention center?

im dabating between this one and jw marriott in miraflores? (My rate at marriott is 51$ higher a night)

how long does it take to and from airport? What is the best option of transportation between hotel and airport and/or other attractions?

Thank you
Old Nov 27, 2017, 3:23 pm

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
It is the same one. I can't recall the exact time from the airport but I'm guessing 30 minutes, depending on traffic. We used Taxidatum for pick up at the airport. Reliable, safe and inexpensive. Around the city we found the Easytaxi app worked fine 90% f the time. Taxis are generally inexpensive ( although not by BKK standards perhaps) but the easytaxi app shows you the car, licence plate, driver's photo and fare, as well as providing GPS tracking. All help with security, given some of the issues some have raised with taxis. Have never used Uber myself.
3rdworldresident likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 4:49 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Any recent stays? Lounge closed due to Peru health emergency but the spa/restaurants are open and looks excellent... JW Lima lounge also not serviced so checking out the Westin for a night too. TY
Old Sep 12, 2023, 10:52 pm

I stayed at both post COVID. JW is clear winner if you're a tourist and want to be in the middle of everything. I enjoyed the Westin's spa though and it has great highway access if you're on a short layover or have to travel to another part of Lima quickly. I'd say Westin is great for a staycation if you plan to stay in the hotel, but the JW is better if you plan to go out to eat etc. as you can walk versus having to get an Uber. Westin rooms feel a little dated, but have nicer finishings than JW, bathroom was nicer and more glass, corner room was nice.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.