Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Aloft Brooklyn, New York [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aloft Brooklyn, New York [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2012, 6:11 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Requested 24 hour checkin here and the room is not ready and won't be for at least an hour. Not happy with my first time using 24 checkin.
_____
In the end got a different room after 40 min wait. Room was ore blocked but nobody could figure out how to unblock it to check me in. Things worked out but it took a while.

_____

Room is a decent size for New York. Good value for 7000 points. The heating/air conditioner is very noisy and it does not seem possible to turn it off either.

The area is better than I expected. Had some excellent Italian food at Va Beh on Dean at Flatbush...about an 8 block walk.

Hadn't spent much time in Brooklyn before. Got to walk around Park Slope and Prospect Park.

Not a bad stay overall.

Last edited by sfozrhfco; Sep 8, 2012 at 6:47 pm
Old Sep 9, 2012, 4:01 am

Programs: Mile-High Club, Marriott Plt, SPG P-75, PC Plt, Hyatt Dia, Carlson Gold, BW Dia
Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
Have you tried the Sheraton next door? They have larger rooms and I have been upgraded to a suite in the past. The suite is basically a bed room and a sitting area (similar to a Hyatt Place but narrower).
Yes, but I was interested in checking out an Aloft property for the first time. Also, I wouldn't waste 10k points per night at that Sheraton.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 1:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Tripadvisor is getting many poor reviews for this location lately so has any FTer been recently and care to report back? I'm curious about staying in Brooklyn over Manhattan for my next NYC trip and with points might consider this as it seems good value.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 2:21 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
This property is a good value at 7,000. Not sure what the complaints on TripAdvisor are about, but generally the service level is aloof but friendly. If you need something, ask and they'll take care of it. The prices at the WXYZ bar is also reasonable. The property is also close to major subway lines, and 1 block away if you want to hail a cab. Avoid the car service folks in front of the hotel - they'll charge $35 for a short ride into Manhattan.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 4:09 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by tcook052
Tripadvisor is getting many poor reviews for this location lately so has any FTer been recently and care to report back? I'm curious about staying in Brooklyn over Manhattan for my next NYC trip and with points might consider this as it seems good value.
I was there in late September. Thought it was fine, no complaints, typical Aloft. Clean, comfortable. Convenient to the subway, takes 20 or so minutes to get to midtown. Staff is mostly young, and vary from completely useless to friendly and helpful. Bar area was small but lively in the evenings. No in-hotel dining after 11 or 12pm. Junior's a few blocks away, and corner shop with fresh hot sandwiches, open late, maybe all night. Could hear the sound of the neighbors voices a couple of times.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
the majority of complaints seem to be about the location of the property & not the property itself....personally i find nothing wrong with the area but i can see how someone unfamiliar with new york might feel a little uneasy walking about that area at night....
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Keyser
the majority of complaints seem to be about the location of the property & not the property itself....
Why I asked is in numerous reviews two themes kept coming up, namely poor sound insulation and poor staff service. No hotel is perfect and it's likely this aloft isn't and I'm willing to overlook some imperfections for 7K SPG per night as it's a hard to resist value but of course don't want a longer 6 night stay to turn into a fiasco either.

Thanks for the input.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 3:51 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
I just received my "your upcoming stay is almost here" from aLoft Brooklyn. And it said: "Please note: Guests looking to check in early before 3pm will be charged a $50 fee." I've never heard of this before. I assume in doesnt apply to your24 reservations (I didn't use in this case but I just hope properties are not starting to opt out of that program).

Also, I have never been turned away early as a Platinum if the room is avail and I show up before 3. I wonder if they are even billing Platinums? Anyone have experience getting charged this fee?

This was my go to property in NYC as it was priced right and is just one stop away from the city. But with the recent category rise and these new policies, I'm wondering about my future choice.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 6:23 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
I just received my "your upcoming stay is almost here" from aLoft Brooklyn. And it said: "Please note: Guests looking to check in early before 3pm will be charged a $50 fee." I've never heard of this before. I assume in doesnt apply to your24 reservations (I didn't use in this case but I just hope properties are not starting to opt out of that program).

Also, I have never been turned away early as a Platinum if the room is avail and I show up before 3. I wonder if they are even billing Platinums? Anyone have experience getting charged this fee?

This was my go to property in NYC as it was priced right and is just one stop away from the city. But with the recent category rise and these new policies, I'm wondering about my future choice.
Very unlikely you'll be charged as a Platinum guest ... I've seen a number of hotels say this and the only place I've actually ever been asked to pay was at the Hotel Pulitzer in Amsterdam.

I do agree that the category raise makes this property much less appealing than it was, though.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 4:44 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by tcook052
Why I asked is in numerous reviews two themes kept coming up, namely poor sound insulation and poor staff service. No hotel is perfect and it's likely this aloft isn't and I'm willing to overlook some imperfections for 7K SPG per night as it's a hard to resist value but of course don't want a longer 6 night stay to turn into a fiasco either.

Thanks for the input.
I stayed there a few times and never had any issues with noise or the friendliness of the staff. I think you'll be happy as long as you realize it's an aloft, so the rooms have very limited closet/storage space.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Keyser
the majority of complaints seem to be about the location of the property & not the property itself....personally i find nothing wrong with the area but i can see how someone unfamiliar with new york might feel a little uneasy walking about that area at night....
I am guessing most of the complaints have to do with Fulton mall and the entire area being kind of dead at night. I work off of Flatbush Avenue near Fulton Mall and have gotten used to it. Certainly not my favorite part of NYC but it's quiet at night.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 9:34 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
Can anybody compare the Aloft to the Sheraton next door?
I stayed at the Sheraton last time and was not impressed but the Aloft is the same price. Is it a better choice?
I suppose staying at the Sheraton gets me more green choice points but any other reason?
Old Oct 16, 2013, 7:06 am

Have stayed at both recently and the Indigo across the street. I prefer the Aloft. The free wifi at Aloft makes up for the green choice as you don't have to "use" your gift for wifi. The Aloft is comfortable and I found the staff to be helpful. The problem with all three is the current construction going in the same block. The Aloft site makes note of it on it website and says it occurring between the hours of 7:30 am to 3 pm...I found it to last much longer into early evening.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 11:03 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Stayed at the Aloft Brooklyn a couple of nights recently. Overall, I really liked it, as the Alofts are a casual version of the Ws. I tend to do long stays in NYC (2-4 weeks) and plan to stay at the Aloft Brooklyn whenever staying in Manhattan is too expensive, say more than $350/night.

Positives:
Nice friendly staff.
Good internet.
WXYZ bar has reasonably priced drinks. Open until 1am on a weekday.
Casually trendy music playing in lobby.
Comfortable beds. Modern rooms. Nice bathroom amenities.
GREAT pool table. Much better than you normally find in public areas.
The brewery place across the street has a great selection of beer and food.
Easy to catch the subway, a block away.

Negatives:
Slow elevators.
Platinum breakfast was only a $12(?) voucher to spend in the little shop.
Sound insulation: we could hear the next rooms watching TV and talking.
Hard to catch cabs in the mornings. You need to walk a couple of blocks, which is annoying if you have luggage.

I've stayed at the next door Sheraton in the past. The Aloft is much nicer overall, so I won't be staying at the Sheraton again.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
Stayed at the Aloft Brooklyn a couple of nights recently. Overall, I really liked it, as the Alofts are a casual version of the Ws. I tend to do long stays in NYC (2-4 weeks) and plan to stay at the Aloft Brooklyn whenever staying in Manhattan is too expensive, say more than $350/night.

Positives:
Nice friendly staff.
Good internet.
WXYZ bar has reasonably priced drinks. Open until 1am on a weekday.
Casually trendy music playing in lobby.
Comfortable beds. Modern rooms. Nice bathroom amenities.
GREAT pool table. Much better than you normally find in public areas.
The brewery place across the street has a great selection of beer and food.
Easy to catch the subway, a block away.

Negatives:
Slow elevators.
Platinum breakfast was only a $12(?) voucher to spend in the little shop.
Sound insulation: we could hear the next rooms watching TV and talking.
Hard to catch cabs in the mornings. You need to walk a couple of blocks, which is annoying if you have luggage.

I've stayed at the next door Sheraton in the past. The Aloft is much nicer overall, so I won't be staying at the Sheraton again.
Weirdly I've been finding the aLoft is charging more than the Sheraton next door - when that happens I stay Sheraton. The Sheraton rooms are nicer - although the one I had was smaller. Elevators in both properties are absurdly slow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.