Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Hotel Florence, Italy [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2019, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
[email protected]

Expert Review (posted to Luxury Forum) from Oct 2018:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...d-f-amp-b-2881
Print Wikipost

St. Regis Hotel Florence, Italy [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2014, 7:29 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by Upgraded!
How militant is this property about enforcing the up charge for a double vs. single occupancy room? I can get a pretty good rate for an upcoming trip, but it's almost 200 euro/night more if I say it's a double occupancy. If I just book as single and then show up with a second person, will I have an issue?
The property isn't that big and service was very personal so I think they would know there were two people in the room. They also scan passports just like all the other Italian hotels. I'm not sure if they would confront you or anything, but they would most likely notice. Also if its for a single only room I think they would definitely say something.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by spgplat21
The property isn't that big and service was very personal so I think they would know there were two people in the room. They also scan passports just like all the other Italian hotels. I'm not sure if they would confront you or anything, but they would most likely notice. Also if its for a single only room I think they would definitely say something.
Normally I don't bother changing the number of guests and just leave it on the default. However someone told me they had got a little "surprise" from the Westin Florence under the same circumstance so wanted to see if that was a Florence thing or specific to the Westin.

Wasn't suggesting that I'd try and pretend that there was only one person in the room, just curious what would happen if I didn't make the res for two but showed up with two.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 8:35 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by Upgraded!
Wasn't suggesting that I'd try and pretend that there was only one person in the room, just curious what would happen if I didn't make the res for two but showed up with two.
This hotel has single only rooms, so if you book that room I think it's likely they would charge you the regular extra person charge (~70-100EUR in my experience) plus the cost of the higher category room since the single bed room doesn't legally accomodate 2 people. However, if you were pre-upgraded to a larger room that accomodates 2 people then you would probably just get charged the extra person fee or maybe nothing at all. If you're platinum I think the latter case is the most likely.

I made several award reservations (which are max 2 adults) at various Starwood properties across Italy, and most hotels charged us around 80EUR for an extra adult because we had 3 adults. One hotel didn't charge anything and one made us pay an extra person charge plus 50 EUR for a deluxe room that would accomodate 3 adults. I think the SR Florence charged 85EUR, but can't remember exactly.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 8:02 am

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by spgplat21
This hotel has single only rooms, so if you book that room I think it's likely they would charge you the regular extra person charge (~70-100EUR in my experience) plus the cost of the higher category room since the single bed room doesn't legally accomodate 2 people. However, if you were pre-upgraded to a larger room that accomodates 2 people then you would probably just get charged the extra person fee or maybe nothing at all. If you're platinum I think the latter case is the most likely.

I made several award reservations (which are max 2 adults) at various Starwood properties across Italy, and most hotels charged us around 80EUR for an extra adult because we had 3 adults. One hotel didn't charge anything and one made us pay an extra person charge plus 50 EUR for a deluxe room that would accomodate 3 adults. I think the SR Florence charged 85EUR, but can't remember exactly.
Thanks. The Deluxe is actually the lowest category available for our dates. Between that and the fact I'm Gold (gotta be worth something) sounds like the damage will be minimal...
Old May 12, 2014, 4:25 pm

St. Regis Florence

Spending a week there next month. Anyone ever done a cash and points there, or is my only option 30k points a night? Does the C&P availability ever open up closer to the date of stay?

Also going to be spending a week in London. Is the W worth the 20k or 25k points a night?
Old May 12, 2014, 4:29 pm
Suspended

London W is a 20k/night property. Whether its worth it is entirely subjective. Only you can do those calculations.

Figure out how much that type of property is worth to you. Figure out how many cents per *point you "like" or what qualifies as a good value to you.

It's getting to the height of Europe tourist season. Doubt you'll see C+P open up between now and then.

Last edited by yosithezet; May 12, 2014 at 9:59 pm Reason: Post merger cleanup
Old May 13, 2014, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by spideysense
Spending a week there next month. Anyone ever done a cash and points there, or is my only option 30k points a night? Does the C&P availability ever open up closer to the date of stay?

Also going to be spending a week in London. Is the W worth the 20k or 25k points a night?
Stayed at the St. Regis Florence last November and started the planning/booking process early and never saw C&P open up. Not that it means it wouldn't, but thought I'd share. I thought the points only option was worth it, used a SNA to get upgraded, service was awesome, breakfast was great, and location is good. As a point of reference, the Westin is literally across the plaza, so if you're trying to save points and the C&P is available there, you might want to look into it.
Old May 15, 2014, 3:50 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
The restaurant is excellent. I didn't realize I had stayed here before, when it was still called Grand Hotel (?) and I think it was part of the Luxury Collection. But the hotel is much better now.
Old May 21, 2014, 11:09 pm

Just booked a week there. Booked the deluxe Arno room as regular rooms weren't available. Cost 37,500 points per night.

Since I'm an SPG gold, I wonder if I'll get a room upgrade. I believe the next highest room is a suite, so that would be nice.
Old May 22, 2014, 2:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, American Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by spideysense
Just booked a week there. Booked the deluxe Arno room as regular rooms weren't available. Cost 37,500 points per night.

Since I'm an SPG gold, I wonder if I'll get a room upgrade. I believe the next highest room is a suite, so that would be nice.
I have stayed at this property many times, as Gold a long time ago and more recently as Platinum and have been upgraded every time to an Arno facing room. A few cavaets; I have not been there since the upgrade and name change to the St. Regis, I have never stayed during the "high season", and I have always sent them a personal note (usually the GM) in Italian and ask for whatever generosity they can provide with their room selection for me would be greatly appreciated. If I had to guess, the last part of my cavaets likely has more of an impact on the wonderful rooms I have been given over my status or the time of the year I have stayed, but each has some weighting in the formula.

I would recommend sending them a nice note, and if you do some research, find a recommended room number on this site or another and request it. What's the worst that could happen? I was told recently by many members of this community that I would have almost no chance for an upgrade at an upcoming stay at the Des Indes in Den Hague. It is amazing what a nice note can do to improve your chances, and in my case, receive an upgrade and be given the exact suite I has asked for in my note. When I make the time to do it (mostly for important personal and/or overseas trips), I am nearly at 100% success. Good luck. This property is one of my favorite in the world and is in a great location in Florence. Ciao!
Old Jun 15, 2014, 6:47 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
This is really quite a special Starwood hotel with exceptional service levels.

I had some problems during my stay (not related to the hotel) which meant I was a bit distracted, but everyone I encountered was absolutely switched on. I'd just come from the Gritti Palace which as a venue was more impressive, but didn't feel like it had quite the same level of attention to detail as Florence.

I think the cutest effort was folding up some jeans I had lying around which had a bit of a tear. Our butler (who I wouldn't expect to be doing housekeeping) somehow noticed and left a note on the jeans saying she'd be happy to ensure they get fixed if we wanted.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 7:26 am

When booking a deluxe room there is the option to choose a room with "original antique furnishings" or "precious fabrics." Anyone have an opinion on which is the better choice?

Thanks!
Old Aug 20, 2014, 8:15 am
Suspended

Any word on who the GM is for this hotel?

I believe Mark Lannoy - one of the best GMs I've ever encountered in the SPG program - moved from the Westin Palace Madrid to either this hotel or the St. Regis Rome.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 9:23 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by pricesquire
Any word on who the GM is for this hotel?

I believe Mark Lannoy - one of the best GMs I've ever encountered in the SPG program - moved from the Westin Palace Madrid to either this hotel or the St. Regis Rome.
LMGTFY

Complex General Manager
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc.
April 2014 – Present (5 months)The Westin Excelsior, Rome & St. Regis Rome
Old Aug 20, 2014, 10:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by remymartin
LMGTFY

Complex General Manager
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc.
April 2014 – Present (5 months)The Westin Excelsior, Rome & St. Regis Rome
Touché.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.