FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Annual fee retention bonus for Starwood Amex Card (Pre-May, 2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1214916-annual-fee-retention-bonus-starwood-amex-card-pre-may-2019-a.html)

bocadoglover May 12, 2011 4:30 pm

Annual fee retention bonus for Starwood Amex Card (Pre-May, 2019)

Not sure if this has been covered recently - but just called for retention bonus against $65 annual fee - gen questions agent couldn't do - so I said cancel and he was unable to cancel and sent me to retention. Retention agent offered a $25 statement credit, so I agreed to keep card. The fact that I have had Amex cards since 1997 with clean pays helped to get this. Good luck to others, the $65 is a bit high.

MikeBOS May 12, 2011 6:52 pm

If you charge a reasonable amount (a few thousand a month), the $65 is a drop in the bucket compared with the value of the points, when wisely used. The value per dollar spent is far ahead of any other reward cards -- I disagree that the fee is high, in fact I think it represents great value compared to the alternatives.

3dot14 May 12, 2011 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by bocadoglover (Post 16375733)
Good luck to others, the $65 is a bit high.

Don't even get me started on the $125 CAD Canadian Amex... And the earning potential is also so much less! (Just 1 pt / $1CAD)
So I'd take that $65 any day...

inY May 12, 2011 7:24 pm

Or cancel every year and collect a signup bonus too.

gerald5 May 12, 2011 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by inY (Post 16376504)
Or cancel every year and collect a signup bonus too.

Signup bonus is a one-time thing.

izzik May 12, 2011 8:38 pm

"call for retention bonus"?

As in, you call and fake intent to cancel the card in order to get something (anything) for your efforts?

StarlightSusan May 13, 2011 2:36 am

Originally Posted by MikeBOS (Post 16376379)
If you charge a reasonable amount (a few thousand a month), the $65 is a drop in the bucket compared with the value of the points, when wisely used. The value per dollar spent is far ahead of any other reward cards -- I disagree that the fee is high, in fact I think it represents great value compared to the alternatives.

No question about it! I just completed a 5 night stay at a cat 5 property for 48000 points that would have cost me about $2000 had I paid for it. 48000 points is about 18 months spend for me on the Amex, so the roughly $100 in fees that cover those 18 months really is a small price to pay.

Yankeeflyer May 13, 2011 7:31 am

Originally Posted by izzik (Post 16376798)
"call for retention bonus"?

As in, you call and fake intent to cancel the card in order to get something (anything) for your efforts?

Or, you call with the full intent of canceling unless they offer you a better deal.

For me, unless the waive the fee, I think I'm gone soon....

fraz2007 May 13, 2011 9:07 am

I think you are better off asking for a few thousand bonus points, that is assuming you have signficant spend on the card. I have heard that 3000 points is not uncommon.

milesmuncher May 13, 2011 11:09 am

Originally Posted by fraz2007 (Post 16379148)
I think you are better off asking for a few thousand bonus points, that is assuming you have signficant spend on the card. I have heard that 3000 points is not uncommon.

I actually just got 5000.

Phasers May 13, 2011 12:27 pm

I spent $72k in the past 12 months (the guy told me) on my SPG card and all he offered me was $25 credit, no points at all.

gerald5 May 13, 2011 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by Phasers (Post 16380357)
I spent $72k in the past 12 months (the guy told me) on my SPG card and all he offered me was $25 credit, no points at all.

It's a negotiation game... hang up and try again! :)

izzik May 16, 2011 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by gerald5 (Post 16381907)
It's a negotiation game... hang up and try again! :)

Of course, if the rep sees your call history tied to your account... ;)
Plus, once you declare your fake intent, there's no way to back out of it (short of looking like a desperate idiot, which is .. well..). :D

Yankeeflyer May 16, 2011 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by izzik (Post 16397403)
Plus, once you declare your fake intent, there's no way to back out of it (short of looking like a desperate idiot, which is .. well..). :D

"Excuse me, let me double check first with my [spouse] [boss] [dog] [etc.]."

"Excuse me, I'll have to call back to finish this conversation because my kid is [burning down the house] [peeing on the carpet] [watching Glen Beck] [etc.]"

"Okay, I changed my mind. Bye."

beltway Jun 13, 2011 8:09 am

Another data point: called recently about my Starwood Business Amex (open just under a year, although I've had one Starwood card or another for several years running). Spending has varied across time, but I'd estimate I've put $9K-$12K aggregate on the card since last summer, and always paid on time. [EDIT: Actual figure is just north of $10K.]

Retention rep began by asking the usual questions about whether the card is a good fit for my business and/or whether I stay at Starwood properties. I allowed as how it's a good fit & I do stay etc., but <standard line about better earning potential on competing card products>. (Although there's clearly an implicit sales pitch in the questions, the answer is also a factor in how hard Amex will try to retain the member. As if going off a script, later on the rep recited my "good fit" statement as a talking point explaining the offers he made.)

The initial offer was a $25 credit. When I asked if there were any other offers, the rep did the car salesman schtick (put me on hold, come back to tell me what a "team leader" had OK'd) and upped the offer to $35. As a final gambit, I inquired if there were any offers involving Starpoints rather than cash, but no soup for me.