Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One night in FLL. Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2002, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Platinum, AA 2 mm EXP, Citibank Platinum...
One night in FLL. Ideas?

any suggestions as to the best place to spend one night before a cruise next month?

I know there's a Sheraton at the airport but that seems a bit limiting - we arrive (snow gods willing) around 6 PM on a Friday and don't sail until 6 PM on Saturday.

I don't mind renting a car but would mind driving any great distance.
Old Dec 11, 2002, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Best hotel in area - Hyatt Pier 66.
Best Starwood in area - not sure. I've heard Sheraton Bal Harbour can be nice (that's where some scenes in Analyze This were shot). The Westin is a good business hotel. The Hyatt is extremely close to the airport,also the beach (not on the beach but a great pool, try to get a tower room).

The Westin is very close to the highway at the north end of Ft.Lauderdale. Not noisy, you get the heavenly bed. Neither Starwood is more than 20 minutes or so from the airport on a Saturday.
Old Dec 11, 2002, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Bostom--you've got almost a day, so if you're interested in heading south a bit and possibly sampling a bit of Miami Beach, I recommend you come stay with us at the Sheraton Bal Harbour! That night you could head down to South Beach--check out Lincoln Road, great people watching & restaurants. The next day, enjoy our fantastic pool and take a dip in the ocean. We're about a 40 minute drive from FLL airport, about the same to head back to the port.

If I can be of any assistance, please feel free to drop me a line.

Jim McKenna
Sheraton Bal Harbour
Bal Harbour, FL
305-868-2567
Old Dec 11, 2002, 5:19 pm

There are two Sheratons at the beach in Fort Lauderdale. One is on the beach and the other is across the street from the beach. Both are tired properties if I remember correctly. You may want to try the Diplomat in Hollywood.
Old Dec 12, 2002, 9:08 am
Suspended

the Sheraton Suites although not on the beach does have a RoomSaver.com coupon for $59 for the night all rooms are suites. Never stayed there but might next week when I head down there. Will be driving from Orlando to KeyWest, if its too late to make it to KeyLargo(Westin) Ill head over to the S.S. for the noght and the stay credits.
Old Dec 12, 2002, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Gold
I've spent exactly one night at the Sheraton FLL airport (about 3 months ago) and was pretty impressed ... friendly staff, two-story suite plat upgrade, good room service, nice enough room, 10 mins from the aiport. And it was $99 to boot.
Old Dec 13, 2002, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Platinum, AA 2 mm EXP, Citibank Platinum...
Many thanks all and especially Jim at the Beach: wish I'd seen this earlier as we were in Miami for Thanksgiving and didn't much enjoy the Hyatt downtown. Went right by ya, too, en route to Wolfie Cohen's for Thanksgiving Dinner. Watch those cops in Sunny Isles - strict enforcement of the 30 mph speed limit on that stretch of Collins.

But at $279 for one night as the best rate I can find, it seems like a lot, and both the roomsaver coupon for the FLL Suites (expires 12/31) and the $99 rate at the airport don't apply for January. I guess it's just high season in Florida.

The Westin Ft. Lauderdale seems the best deal at $149 - the airport's the same but it's the airport. It does say Club level rooms available - does this mean there's a club lounge that's open on Friday night or Saturday morning?

Old Dec 13, 2002, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Lifetime Gold, UA LifetMarriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I highly recommend Miami Bal Harbour. Last time I was upgrade a very nice suite at the villa. It's one of the best suite I have been upgraded to as a SPG platinum.
One advice if you book this hotel at SPG website, try AAA rate. It was around $200 last time I stayed there.
Old Dec 13, 2002, 10:35 pm
In Memoriam

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Bostom:

The Westin Ft. Lauderdale seems the best deal at $149 - the airport's the same but it's the airport. It does say Club level rooms available - does this mean there's a club lounge that's open on Friday night or Saturday morning?

</font>
Never saw a club lounge in half a dozen stays early this year. The Westin is an OK hotel but it isn't near anything of interest (except I-95).

Take a look at the S.S. Plantation. It is located at a major shopping center; lots of restaurants and bars nearby; and their bar seems to be a popular place with people embarking on a cruise the next day. Found an Internet rate of $104 for a Friday night in January (21 day advance purchase).
Old Apr 24, 2011, 6:57 am

Programs: AA Gold; SPG: Gold:
I am also looking for "close to the cruiseport". There seem to be two sheratons: one offers free shuttle from the airport and transportation to the cruiseport for a minor fee.
Not looking for other things to check out. However I want a hotel where there are restaurants withini walking distance. Does anyone know if either of the Sheratons offers that?
Old Apr 24, 2011, 7:05 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by ontheway
I am also looking for "close to the cruiseport". There seem to be two sheratons: one offers free shuttle from the airport and transportation to the cruiseport for a minor fee.
Not looking for other things to check out. However I want a hotel where there are restaurants withini walking distance. Does anyone know if either of the Sheratons offers that?

I'm going to say the Beach location.

This may be of some help in the interim.
Fort Lauderdale: which hotel? [Master Thread]
Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Beach Hotel - reno, renamed/reopened 2010 [Master Thread]
Old Apr 24, 2011, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by ontheway
The Sheraton on the beach and the Westin on the beach both have tons of restaurants. None are all that spectacular. The one near the airport does not, but does have a restaurant on the property.
The Westin is more recently renovated than the Sheraton on the beach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.