Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bye-bye SPG, it's been a great 10+ years!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2011, 1:46 pm

Programs: Various Programs of Interest & LT Collector.
Some people aren't as fortunate to be financially well off to afford as many stays so sometimes its less whining than it is a constraint to them.

So they have to be more creative.

Maybe along the lines of "Programs: The loyalty program milker" ...

No fight intended - just found your tag line and comments a little divergent. It made me pleasantly smile. Thank you.

Originally Posted by Zurich Flyer
Right, right, I pay ALL of my 25 SPG stays and 28 HHonors stays and 25 Hyatt stays out of my own pocket. Thus, I have no understanding for such whimmering people "oh, I am five nights short, why did I not get the Pla status free of charge". AAARGH
Old Apr 8, 2011, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
, not mid-level. top level has to be
I pay for travels out of my pocket, too. I have a much smaller pocket than yours, it would seem. Thus, I don't hit top tier in anything, but I am content, and definitely can appreciate a good deal when it comes to finding deals with loyalty programs or major chains with 3-4 star hotels offering stays for less than $100 USD (which is generally what I am looking for. I am naturally a Priceline/Hotwire fiend. ). 4 stays and ~$350 to get Hilton Gold is not bad, and I used the Four Points double stay promo a few months ago to not only secure SPG Gold for 2011, but to get a leg up on 2012.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Apr 8, 2011 at 2:58 pm
Old Apr 8, 2011, 3:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Isn't it better to have the top tier status in all programs?
(a) Not necessarily (if you get treated well by one chain, what's the incentive to staying anywhere else?), and (b) not everyone has either infinite money, someone else paying their way, or the time to spend staying that many nights in a hotel.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by Medved
I don't know acelite's particular situation last year or future plans. But you cannot treat 10+ years uninterrupted experience Plat member same way as 2 years member. And based on my personal experience, SPG doesn't. That is whyyyy...
While being Plat for 10+ years is nothing to sneeze at, I think SPG has to balance the parameters of the program rules vs long-term history.

If the OP's 10 years was as a $500/night kind of Plat I'm guessing he'd still have his status. If he's been a sub $100/night kind of Plat the past 10 years I see SPG making a one-time exception but no more.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 9:03 pm
cxn

I am looking forward to the day SPG offers lifetime status...
Old Apr 8, 2011, 11:32 pm

Programs: Various Programs of Interest & LT Collector.
Me too

Especially if its on Living social
Old Apr 9, 2011, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by TravelGuy1965
Especially if its on Living social
+1 ^^^
Old Apr 9, 2011, 12:14 am

I will be in the same boat next year, most likely. I have been SPG Platinum since it began. I've come to the point where I don't expect an upgrade to more than the "SPG level" or a slightly bigger room. I think I would get exactly the same upgrades if I was Gold.

So, I've been staying at Fairmonts this year, and will reach Platinum with them this month. I also have Hilton Diamond through Amex, and have tried them a couple of times. It has been interesting to venture from SPG and see what's out there. Also, now that Marriott include the Ritz-Carlton, I will probably try to status match at the end of this year with them.

The reason I started being loyal to only SPG was the comfort of the beds. But all of the chains now have a similar bed product. SPG needs to come up with something new and differentiating in their product, and for their top tier.

The issue of individual properties not adequately upgrading Platinums such that you have to do your own investigation to figure it out is really annoying, and just makes the whole thing less appealing.

So we'll see what happens when the year is up. I suppose there's still a chance I could make it if there's a double stay promotion (on higher end properties, not Aloft). But I'm kind of apathetic about it.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 1:00 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by dhammer53
It was SCI (Sheraton Club International) back then. In those days, a Gold member always got an upgrade to best room in the house (usually a suite). Another good thing, you could renew for an annual fee of $25.

dh
Yes, I remember those days too . I joined SCI in 1997 for a trip to Fiji. Alas, I didnt keep up with it and when I went to join SPG, they couldnt even find ANY details of my previous SCI membership. I had to start from scratch.

I agree with Aviators. I do like SPG and being Plat but I have to say, I am about 50% on suite upgrades. I find the USA properties I stay at really don't come to the party with the upgrades as they should and it is tiring always having to push for the upgrades Sheraton on the Park in Sydney (my regular haunt) also has been very poor with upgrades in the last 18 months. So I am wondering about the value of Plat, going forward in 2012.

I am interested in what the other options are .

Last edited by Downunder girl; Apr 9, 2011 at 1:06 am
Old Apr 10, 2011, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TravelGuy1965
Some people aren't as fortunate to be financially well off to afford as many stays so sometimes its less whining than it is a constraint to them.

So they have to be more creative.

Maybe along the lines of "Programs: The loyalty program milker" ...

No fight intended - just found your tag line and comments a little divergent. It made me pleasantly smile. Thank you.
Hi TravelGuy1965, I'll go one step beyond divergent and say that some of the people on FlyerTalk are downright antagonistic! I appreciate your comment! Indeed, I am looking to get the most of a loyalty program, but that also earns my loyalty!

Cheers!
Old Apr 10, 2011, 7:05 pm

Programs: MS Plat, AOR ninja
Originally Posted by margarita girl
That was a great promo, and one I leveraged well to earn Plat
Old Apr 10, 2011, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
You find these "minirants" in all hotel forums.

Hilton Gold isn't that bad. You get the free breakfast and internet if that's all one needs. The only extra benefit for Diamonds is the ability to force an award stay even when the hotel is sold out.

Let's face it the SPG PLT suite upgrade "benefit" is imaginary at quite a few domestic US properties.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 8:50 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Acelite I want to thank you for your post.Despite the unfortunate tone and online behavior of some select others it brings back an interesting discussion
Its obvious to me you valued much of your relationship with SPG and in the sad process of being downgraded you discovered some real truths about elite tier recognition.........The grass may or may be greener or not by trying out another loyalty program.

Hilton HHonors has always had the most rewarding mid tier of any major program and in some cases depending on the hotels you stay in beating or equaling top tier status in a number of other guest programs.

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Apr 17, 2011 at 10:27 am
Old Apr 10, 2011, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by JCBR
I get a complimentary Hilton gold with one of my airline programs...

Never been given free breakfast ...
Why would that be?

If you select the correct "My Way VIP" benefit then breakfast is guaranteed.

Originally Posted by holtju2
Hilton Gold isn't that bad. You get the free breakfast and internet if that's all one needs. The only extra benefit for Diamonds is the ability to force an award stay even when the hotel is sold out. ...
As well, Diamonds do get access to the Executive lounge, whether upgraded or not.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 12:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by carsonheim
That was a great promo, and one I leveraged well to earn Plat
Ok, but if you look at the previous Q4 promos offered by SPG (two-for-one qualifying nights in (as far as I recall) all hotels in including Sheraton and Westin, this promotion was a bit flimsy. Doesn't do much for the global traveller either. Alofts are at the airport and Element has only 9 hotels and all in the US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.