FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   Bye-bye SPG, it's been a great 10+ years! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/1202972-bye-bye-spg-its-been-great-10-years.html)

acelite Apr 7, 2011 5:43 am

Bye-bye SPG, it's been a great 10+ years!

I joined SPG as a Gold member in 1997. I reached and maintained Platinum since about 2002.

I was downgraded to SPG Gold this year for the first time. I have to admit is was hard to take.

As an SPG Platinum member for about 10 years, I was sorry to cut my association with SPG. But when I was downgraded to Gold from Platinum last year (20 stays instead of 25), it was clear there was little to no value to keeping SPG Gold membership. SPG Platinum is a great product and if I had requalified I would have stayed with SPG. So I leveraged my Platinum status with another chain and got VIP Gold Status from Hilton. Impossible to compare. Instead of an “enhanced room” (a standard that you can drive a hotel laundry truck through), Gold VIP offers a room upgrade, including executive floor, free breakfast if not upgraded to exec. floor and free internet. There is no comparison. I have subsequently cancelled most of my SPG reservations.

I note that SPG did not offer their two-for-one qualifying nights in fall 2010 as they usually do. I certainly would have requalified had that been the case. That was my first indication that they were “culling the herd”.

Hilton`s VIP Gold is achieved after 16 stays. Since I had 20 stays with SPG, it is easily within the realm of the achievable for this year.

I know SPG has many customers and won`t mourn the loss of one. But I have been a pretty loyal customer and so I do want to say a final goodbye to SPG! It's been a great 10+ years!

Zurich Flyer Apr 7, 2011 5:46 am

Originally Posted by acelite (Post 16175570)
I was downgraded to SPG Gold this year for the first time. I have to admit is was hard to take.

Why?

PS: Thanks, good report. Good luck then for you.

PS 2: Thanks for leaving SPG, there is more suite upgrade space for me :D

KSA_USA Apr 7, 2011 6:41 am

Originally Posted by Zurich Flyer (Post 16175587)
Why?

+1

hhoope01 Apr 7, 2011 6:52 am

Actually, not really true given the OP is now a Gold elite and seems to refer to the fact that that was as high as they could get with their new travel pattern. Suite upgrades are not the norm for Golds.

The OP does bring out the benefits around having multiple programs to choose from. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses, and over time our travel patterns (and wants/desires) may change. With those changes, it may behoove us to periodically look at our primary (and even secondary) programs to see if we may be better suited with a different program (as was the case for the OP.)

Flying Lawyer Apr 7, 2011 6:56 am

Believe me, the grass is greener there :D

BTW: How could you be a SPG member since 1997. Wasn't the programm invented in 1999 only?

NDDomer86 Apr 7, 2011 7:02 am

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer (Post 16175835)

BTW: How could you be a SPG member since 1997. Wasn't the programm invented in 1999 only?

In '97, I was 10 years old. Any hotel, including a Days Inn, was fun and exciting to me. Oh to go back to those times...

JCBR Apr 7, 2011 7:03 am

agree that Plat is great.
I get a complimentary Hilton gold with one of my airline programs (forgot which) and it is not worth much apart from the free internet which I mist admit is one of the best features of SPG plat.

Never been given free breakfast and if the Hilton rooms I get are upgrade then avoid the basic rooms !

SPG is still the best.

dhammer53 Apr 7, 2011 7:06 am

It was SCI (Sheraton Club International) back then. In those days, a Gold member always got an upgrade to best room in the house (usually a suite). Another good thing, you could renew for an annual fee of $25. :eek: :D

dh

neo_781 Apr 7, 2011 8:05 am

As an SPG Platinum member for about 10 years, I was sorry to cut my association with SPG. But when I was downgraded to Gold from Platinum last year (20 stays instead of 25), it was clear there was little to no value to keeping SPG Gold membership. SPG Platinum is a great product and if I had requalified I would have stayed with SPG. So I leveraged my Platinum status with another chain and got VIP Gold Status from Hilton. Impossible to compare. Instead of an “enhanced room” (a standard that you can drive a hotel laundry truck through), Gold VIP offers a room upgrade, including executive floor, free breakfast if not upgraded to exec. floor and free internet. There is no comparison. I have subsequently cancelled most of my SPG reservations.

I note that SPG did not offer their two-for-one qualifying nights in fall 2010 as they usually do. I certainly would have requalified had that been the case. That was my first indication that they were “culling the herd”.

Hilton`s VIP Gold is achieved after 16 stays. Since I had 20 stays with SPG, it is easily within the realm of the achievable for this year.

I know SPG has many customers and won`t mourn the loss of one. But I have been a pretty loyal customer and so I do want to say a final goodbye to SPG! It's been a great 10+ years!

Not getting into which program is better, my question is why didn't you work harder to get the extra 5 stays? Your post comes across as that SPG should have just given you the status even though you clearly didn't earn it. I understand that it would have been nice if they'd considered that you were a legacy member and given you an exception but as you clearly didn't earn it, I am not sure why your post is worded that you are entitled to it.

Zurich Flyer Apr 7, 2011 8:09 am

Originally Posted by hhoope01 (Post 16175824)
Actually, not really true given the OP is now a Gold elite and seems to refer to the fact that that was as high as they could get with their new travel pattern. Suite upgrades are not the norm for Golds.

The OP does bring out the benefits around having multiple programs to choose from. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses, and over time our travel patterns (and wants/desires) may change. With those changes, it may behoove us to periodically look at our primary (and even secondary) programs to see if we may be better suited with a different program (as was the case for the OP.)

What not true? I think it is very true.

He, the OP, the gold gets the standard rooms and I, the famous Zurich Flyer, the Plat, get the suites :)

PS: We from Hilton understand that every traveler has his choice. Me, the customers understand this well, and this is why SPG is amongs my preferred hotels and Hilton is only my second or third or fourth choice :cool:

margarita girl Apr 7, 2011 8:09 am

Too bad you missed this promo:

PROMO: Nights/Stays Count Double at Aloft, Element and Four Points Hotels til 31 Dec

Zurich Flyer Apr 7, 2011 8:10 am

Indeed :D

mp007 Apr 7, 2011 8:28 am

Why?

I don't want a big discussion. Some of us are a big .......s. Sorry to addmit this.

mp007 Apr 7, 2011 8:29 am

Originally Posted by mp007 (Post 16176332)
I don't want a big discussion. Some of us are a big .......s. Sorry to addmit this.

i forgot. Bye..

mp007 Apr 7, 2011 8:35 am

Celine Dion "baybe think twice"