Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bye-bye SPG, it's been a great 10+ years!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2011, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by bulldoggolfer05
In '97, I was 10 years old. Any hotel, including a Days Inn, was fun and exciting to me. Oh to go back to those times...
a bit OT, but my grandmother claims to be one of the first Days Innsider members ever...
Old Apr 7, 2011, 4:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: Migros Cumulus Platinum Hero
Originally Posted by bsdstone
a bit OT, but my grandmother claims to be one of the first Days Innsider members ever...

Loooooooooooooollllllll, my grand mother as well
Old Apr 7, 2011, 5:17 pm
Suspended

how long till the OP comes a crawling back

OP in case U dont know it if you dont get an Upgrade to the so called Exec floor as a Gold then there is no Lounge Access! Only a Diamond can get into the Lounge, but good luck finding a hotel with a Lounge. Embassys dont have clubs nor DTs nor HGIs nor Homewood, so you are betting on a few Hiltons and most Resorts dont have them either

Bout the Only 2 things I know that HH has over SPG is a TON of lower end propertys Hamptons that are located off Interstates and are all around the US. And the Diamond force where even if there is no avaialbility for a paid stay most likely as a Diamond they can get you a res using your pts

But if I had to amke a choice and pick only 1 of the 2 programs SPG wins hands down. (FYI Im Plat with *W and Diamond with HH, and Plat with Marriott) and no way would I give up my *W status especially for Hilton

Now if a person will be staying where there arent any *W Hotels that would be something else. Besides for $20k in spending on the HH Amex CC you are Gold and if you miss HHs mark you will find out the hard way that they too wont let you slide even if you are short by 1 Stay credit

So OP I wish you luck, since ALL the programs are about the same when it comes to ending up short what is needed to requalify

Last edited by craz; Apr 7, 2011 at 10:33 pm
Old Apr 7, 2011, 6:18 pm

Buh bye.

And as others have pointed out, there was a "Stays count as double" promo in the last quarter last year.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 2:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hhoope01
Actually, not really true given the OP is now a Gold elite and seems to refer to the fact that that was as high as they could get with their new travel pattern. Suite upgrades are not the norm for Golds.

The OP does bring out the benefits around having multiple programs to choose from. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses, and over time our travel patterns (and wants/desires) may change. With those changes, it may behoove us to periodically look at our primary (and even secondary) programs to see if we may be better suited with a different program (as was the case for the OP.)
Thank you, hhoope01. You are right that my travel pattern did change. In fact, I was travelling to countries with no SPG properties (Guyana, Barbados, Tanzania, Ghana, Kenya, etc.). As you noted, under the circumstances, I was trying to point out that Hilton`s Gold program seems to offer a lot more benefits than Starwood`s, hence the switch!
Old Apr 8, 2011, 2:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Believe me, the grass is greener there

BTW: How could you be a SPG member since 1997. Wasn't the programm invented in 1999 only?
Thanks for the correction. I started out as a Sheraton Gold member and then was converted when the *W program began.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 2:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JCBR
agree that Plat is great.
I get a complimentary Hilton gold with one of my airline programs (forgot which) and it is not worth much apart from the free internet which I mist admit is one of the best features of SPG plat.

Never been given free breakfast and if the Hilton rooms I get are upgrade then avoid the basic rooms !

SPG is still the best.
I agree *W is best for Plats, but does not appear to be best for Gold.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 2:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Medved
Have you tried at least to plea your case with CS? There is an e-mail you can send to ask for an exception/status match/comp status, etc. Strange by itself though -- long time Plat members are usually offered a complimantary Plat status when they fall a bit short in a given year -- happened to me in 2010, to my friend 2011. Unless you were already given one in previous years -- you cannot it two years in a row.
You are bang on. I had one in 2008. Guess they didn't want to do it again!
Old Apr 8, 2011, 2:58 am
Original Poster

I love your tag line (Do not feel offended by my posts - remember, I am a simple minded litigation lawyer). Maybe Zurich Flyer could get one too!
Old Apr 8, 2011, 3:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NWAsilvELITE
Took the words right out of my mouth Z Flyer!!!!!!
Did he now? Did you plan on using the same grammar structure as well?
Old Apr 8, 2011, 5:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by acelite
Did he now? Did you plan on using the same grammar structure as well?
Grammar structure
Old Apr 8, 2011, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I agree *W is best for Plats, but does not appear to be best for Gold.
You're comparing apples and oranges, since Hilton's Gold is a higher stay/night qualification than SPG's Gold. The entry level for Hilton is HHonors Silver, which is even weaker than SPG Gold (as well as only requiring 4 nights).

<digression>

That being said, it does appear that Hilton is handing out Silver and Gold if you can fog a mirror, more so than SPG does: United MP members can be immediately comped Silver and get Gold within 4 stays. (I'm doing a 3 night mattress run in a couple of weeks in LA to grab HHonors Gold, since I need to spend a night in the Valley away from LAX anyway, and SPG's properties are more expensive away from LAX, plus a 4th room rental my ex and I will split for a daughter's slumber/pool party the following week).

So there may be competition for those HHonors Gold bennies...
</digression>
Old Apr 8, 2011, 12:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
United MP members can be immediately comped Silver
You get Silver with their (no annual fee) credit card.

Every program has its plusses and minuses. Not every program is good for everyone, so choose the one that fits your patterns best.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Every program has its plusses and minuses. Not every program is good for everyone, so choose the one that fits your patterns best.
Very true. I am not particularly dissatisfied with SPG Gold (I rather like Starpoints and the 4 pm late checkout, and the Four Points LAX is a hotel I will give lots of repeat business to- I have no issues with a 3.5 star property I can score for $80 or so a night). This was more a way to score HHonors Gold for cheap (~$350) on hotel stays I needed anyway, and it gives me more options for properties where I have status- I don't think I'll make SPG Plat or Hilton Diamond, so low/midtier at a couple of chains is nice.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 1:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
You get Silver with their (no annual fee) credit card.

Hm? Not really agree with that? Isn't it better to have the top tier status in all programs?

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Very true, so low/midtier at a couple of chains is nice.
no, not mid-level. top level has to be

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.