Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG Status Match Request and Challenge Policy : Discussion Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 9, 2016, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: controller1
For those with questions regarding the best timing for applying for a Platinum or Gold status match, this is the policy to keep in mind for your individual determination:

Elite Expiration: The Elite Status Challenge entitles members to one full year of elite status, from one renewal period to the next (i.e. the end of February one year to the end of February the next year) and only carries over if they are upgraded on or after March 1st (whereas earning status naturally* gives members elite status for the remainder of the current year, carries over for the entirety of the following year, and expires at the end of February in the third year)

Elite Status Challenge Expiration Example: If a member is upgraded via the challenge on or before February 28th, 2017 they retain status until February 28th, 2018, the following year. If they are upgraded on or after March 1st, 2017 they retain status for the remainder of the year, all of 2018, up until February 28th, 2019.
Print Wikipost

SPG Status Match Request and Challenge Policy : Discussion Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2011, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Plat, CO, UA, HHonors
So, an update on my situation, after asking for my 18 nights earned between 2/28 and 3/31, I raised the issue to the Platinum Laison supervisor, and got the following response:

"Thank you for contacting us about a status challenge with
Starwood Preferred Guest. I understand that you are disappointed that
we are not taking into consideration the nights that are already
credited to your account and I am sorry about that. When we upgrade a
member to Platinum status after March 31st, we set the expiration date
so that the member gets platinum status for the rest of that year as
well as the next year, so if you received Platinum status with us this
month, you will have Platinum status until February 28, 2013, this is
the reason that we must insist that you stay an additional 15 eligible
nights in the 90 day period, because you will be receiving Platinum
status for a year and 9 months. If you would still like to take us up
on this challenge you will need to stay 15 more eligible nights in the
next 90 days in order to get Platinum status."

I have of course responded that the expiration date of my status is of little concern to me for I fully expect to re-earn status next year which would take me into 2013 anyway.

The issue is about asking folks like me to to display a greater level of loyalty than those with no earned nights between 1/31/11 and 3/31/11. I also responded that had the rules not changed on 4/1 this would not be an issue for the person who started on 4/1 would be 18 nights behind me in earnings towards a 50 night goal. As of 4/1 I am behind that same customer towards a 15 night goal... I can't change the fact that I checked into my current stay on 4/2, and learned about the challenge the same day
Old Apr 7, 2011, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by mrpickles
I did not apply for the challenge. I applied for the status match. Status match did not require any stays as per the OP. Last day was midnight on March 31, 2011. Here is the email I got 10 minutes after applying:

To: mrpickles
Platinum Preferred Guest Number: *******7494

Dear mrpickles,

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to send in your Diamond level credentials with Hilton HHonors. We are excited to hear that you have considered making Starwood Hotels and Resorts the place for making your dreams come true.

As you are already an elite member with Hilton HHonors, we recognize your extensive travel needs. It is our pleasure to make a one time complimentary upgrade to our Starwood Preferred Guest Platinum Preferred Level for the remainder of 2011. In addition to the great benefits of our Platinum Preferred Guest Level, we simply ask that you maintain 25 eligible stays or 50 eligible nights each year. This minimum requirement is based upon a calendar year, January 1 through December 31.

To get you started on the road to great travel experiences at our wonderful hotels and resorts, we have submitted the request to have your Platinum Preferred Guest card sent to you. You can anticipate receiving your card in approximately six to eight weeks. In the meantime, you may print a copy of your temporary card from the Starwood Preferred Guest Website.

If you need assistance with setting up that special occasion, business trip or weekend getaway, we have a Platinum Concierge Agents available to assist you in that effort. You can reach us several ways, in the United States and Canada you can reach us by telephone at 1-888-625-4991. For all other countries, you can visit our website for the phone number of the office nearest you, or you can contact us by email at [email protected].

When you have a free moment, please take a minute to visit either www.spgpromos.com, where you can learn what new promotions we are offering that will enhance your enjoyment of the Starwood Preferred Guest program, or www.spgflights.com, where you can learn about a unique benefit available only to Starwood Preferred Guests.

Thank you for allowing us to make your stay as memorable as possible. If there is anything else we can do to make your visit extra enjoyable, please do not hesitate to contact us at [email protected].

Best Regards,

XXX YYYYY
Platinum Concierge Liaison
Starwood Preferred Guest
darn I am Hilton Diamond and missed this post that about March 31 being last day to do real status match. I want to do a 7 day stay at a Westin in NYC but who wants to do 15 nights without status? Or try to cram in 15 nights in 60 days. Any other tricks I should know about? Any chains still doing a real status match?

Thanks
Old Apr 7, 2011, 8:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by dnewton99
darn I am Hilton Diamond and missed this post that about March 31 being last day to do real status match. I want to do a 7 day stay at a Westin in NYC but who wants to do 15 nights without status? Or try to cram in 15 nights in 60 days. Any other tricks I should know about? Any chains still doing a real status match?

Thanks
Amazingly, people all over the world do stays of varying length, everyday, with no status whatsoever...

Regards
Old Apr 8, 2011, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by dnewton99

Thanks
i believe you must have started without status with hilton as well....spg plat is completely worth putting in 15 nights without status....
Old Apr 10, 2011, 9:55 am

Programs: DL Plat, DL SkyClub, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, National Emerald Exec
Originally Posted by pclee
I applied for my wife (March 31, 11:40pm) and she got platinum till feb 2013.

As you are already an elite member with Hyatt Gold Passport, we recognize your extensive travel needs. It is our pleasure to make a one time complimentary upgrade to our Starwood Preferred Guest Platinum Preferred Level for the remainder of 2011 and for the entire year of 2012.
Huh. Would love to know why some of us who made it in under the wire (in my case, six days before you, applied/upgraded on March 25) were only granted matching status until December 31, 2011.

Just sent an email to Starwood asking for 2012, given the time frame and inconsistency. We'll see what happens.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Plat, CO, UA, HHonors
3rd Update: The Platinum Liason Supervisor reviewed my case (18 nights between 2/28 and 3/31, in the middle of a 13 night stay that ends 4/15), and agreed to grant platinum status at the completion of my current stay.

While not exactly what I was hoping for it does ensure that I will be a Plat at the same time as a new customer who started the challenge on 4/1 with a 15night stay. I think that's fair considering the rule changes.

Thank you to the SPG Platinum Liason team, and good luck to everyone else who put in the time during the first quarter!
Old Apr 11, 2011, 10:31 am

Color me frustrated.

Applied for and received matching status on March 25, effective through 12/31/11, in spite of posts in other threads about matching status rolling through the following full year as well.

Upon reading pclee's comment (post #45 in this thread) about applying for and receiving status six days later, valid through the end of 2012, well...decided to circle back to Starwood to ask for the same deal.

And here's where the frustration begins. Got this back first:

Dear PaperQueen,

Thank you for your reply email. I am happy to assist you further.

I am unable to speak about other members accounts, I am only able to speak about your account. At the time that your request arrived, any upgrade that was made will expire at the end of February 2012. For this reason, I will not be able to extend your expiration date.

Best Regards,

[name of employee]

Huh. The original email I received said it expired 12/31/11 (which made no sense at the time, given the issue window on SPG cards).

I responded, gently reminding the associate that "the time that [my] request arrived" was pretty much the same "time" the other person's request arrived--six days later--and that person was granted 2012 status. No program changes occurred in that six day period. They came on day seven, April 1st, when the stay challenge kicked in.

Got this back:

Dear PaperQueen,

Please note that all requests for upgrades that where received and had a March date, when approved, where given the same expiration date as your account.

Best Regards,

[name of employee]

Nope. Not so. Assuming pclee is on the level (which I do), Starwood didn't apply the same rules to matching status requests.

I just responded, this time suggesting they do a little online browsing before claiming everyone got the same deal. Pretty sure they're going to leave things as they are, but the business owner in me keeps asking: What makes more sense? Extending matching status by one year (when you've been called out for doing it elsewhere), or risk the customer resuming a booking preference with your competitor?

Simple answer in my opinion. Grab the high volume customer and hang on to 'em.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PaperQueen
Upon reading pclee's comment (post #45 in this thread) about applying for and receiving status six days later, valid through the end of 2012, well...decided to circle back to Starwood to ask for the same deal.

...that "the time that [my] request arrived" was pretty much the same "time" the other person's request arrived--six days later--and that person was granted 2012 status. ...

I just responded, this time suggesting they do a little online browsing before claiming everyone got the same deal. ...

You post is a great example of why a lot of people don't like to share information.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00
You post is a great example of why a lot of people don't like to share information.
Ummm...you lost me there. I didn't refer to who or where my info came from (not one to risk such things). When SPG took the position they've never offered 2012, it seemed completely appropriate to respond by explaining that yes, the info is out there and it's public, in hopes they'd realize the hiccup.

Sorry if this offended anyone, but please rest assured, you're safe and sound.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 11:55 pm
aap

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Silver, AA Gold, United Silver
Frustrated by new Platinum Challenge requirements

I'm totally frustrated by this new Platinum Challenge program with SPG. It doesn't make good business sense to not attract high-paying, loyal business travelers.

I have been a Platinum with Marriott for many years. However, my travel locations have recently changed and Starwood has really good properties in these locations. I'm ready to spend 60 nights a year and at least $200 - $250 per night ($12,000 - $15,000 per year).

I'm not willing to go back to a non-elite status for 15 nights (roughly 3 months) to prove I'm a valuable customer. I'm shocked SPG would turn down this type of revenue based on the new policy. Last time I checked, hotel vacancies were running fairly high with the drop in business travelers.

Hyatt's approach is to match elite status for 60 days. Within those 60 days, the member must stay a minimum 12 nights. I believe that's a fair approach, as it allows a reasonable timeframe for a new elite to demonstrate their loyalty, and the status is taken away if not re-earned within those first 60 days.

SPG please reconsider your challenge policy. You are alienating new high-value business travelers with this policy.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 10:29 am

Programs: Hy Glob,Choice Dia, MR TIT,IHG SPR,HH Dia, Wyn Dia, UA Sil, WN Alis, Hert 5*, National EE
I was holding off on my match until July 1 in hopes of getting it through 2013.
Looks like I should of matched earlier ie last summer.
Oh well, at least they have a challenge available still.
Plat would of been nice for amenity bonuses for those who will be room hopping for the Q2 promo.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 12:19 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Shwuck
3rd Update: The Platinum Liason Supervisor reviewed my case (18 nights between 2/28 and 3/31, in the middle of a 13 night stay that ends 4/15), and agreed to grant platinum status at the completion of my current stay.

While not exactly what I was hoping for it does ensure that I will be a Plat at the same time as a new customer who started the challenge on 4/1 with a 15night stay. I think that's fair considering the rule changes.
wow. all that complaining so you could skate on 2 or 3 nights of the challenge (if you would have accepted right when you )?

your whole 'they should have intro'd this challenge jan 1 so everyone has a equal shot' premise just doesn't even make any sense, as there would have been people that would have just completed / started their stays then too.
Old May 1, 2011, 12:45 pm

Strange...I called Platinum service desk this morning and they told me they still match status to Hilton/Marriott/Hyatt.
Old May 1, 2011, 1:37 pm
aap

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Silver, AA Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by wickedlfe
Strange...I called Platinum service desk this morning and they told me they still match status to Hilton/Marriott/Hyatt.
What telephone number did you call?
Old May 1, 2011, 3:18 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
What surprises me in this whole story is the fact that SPG will grant platinum to anyone with 15 nights within 3 months. Why do not that do like Hyatt?
  1. Require that you show similar status on a competing program
  2. Grant temporary platinum status for the duration of the challenge
That would seem fairer and it would address the issue that people like aap bring up!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.