Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG Status Match Request and Challenge Policy : Discussion Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 9, 2016, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: controller1
For those with questions regarding the best timing for applying for a Platinum or Gold status match, this is the policy to keep in mind for your individual determination:

Elite Expiration: The Elite Status Challenge entitles members to one full year of elite status, from one renewal period to the next (i.e. the end of February one year to the end of February the next year) and only carries over if they are upgraded on or after March 1st (whereas earning status naturally* gives members elite status for the remainder of the current year, carries over for the entirety of the following year, and expires at the end of February in the third year)

Elite Status Challenge Expiration Example: If a member is upgraded via the challenge on or before February 28th, 2017 they retain status until February 28th, 2018, the following year. If they are upgraded on or after March 1st, 2017 they retain status for the remainder of the year, all of 2018, up until February 28th, 2019.
Print Wikipost

SPG Status Match Request and Challenge Policy : Discussion Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2015, 3:32 am

I signed up for the challenge and managed to stay 18 nights between May-July.
But my last 2 nights got posted as 1 only (I made 2 rooms for same day check in/out)

So I'm now stuck with 17 nights shown in my account.

I've contacted the hotel and SPG to sort out the missing credit but so far nothing been updated yet.

With 2 days left in July will this effect the challenge?
Old Jul 29, 2015, 3:42 am

As long as the nights eventually post, you will be fine. But if SPG disagrees and refuses to credit it for whatever reason, you will be stuck because it will then be too late to do the 18th night.

If there is a cheap SPG property nearby I would just do a stay to get some peace of mind. 17 nights is a lot to lose compared to the cost of a cheap extra night.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by p0rkbelly

Anyway, does anyone know if I stay a night on July 31st and checkout August 1st, the night counts for July, correct?

Thanks.
Originally Posted by lcpteck
That is correct, they count nights, not days.
I asked the same question to an SPG agent before she said it won't count. I'm gonna call them again just making sure I get the correct answer..

UPDATE: Icpteck is right, they count nights, not days

Last edited by kodansha999; Jul 29, 2015 at 4:28 am
Old Jul 29, 2015, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by stargold
As long as the nights eventually post, you will be fine. But if SPG disagrees and refuses to credit it for whatever reason, you will be stuck because it will then be too late to do the 18th night.

If there is a cheap SPG property nearby I would just do a stay to get some peace of mind. 17 nights is a lot to lose compared to the cost of a cheap extra night.
Thank you for the suggestion I'm gonna explore my options now....
Old Jul 29, 2015, 7:31 am

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Looking to do the Plat. Challenge however I had a few questions.

Do they count past stays/nights (obi. not from months ago)? I had ~6 nights in JUL (~7 in JUN). I have more to come.

Should I call or email? If calling is easier, which number do I use? Plat. number or just regular CS?
Old Jul 29, 2015, 7:46 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Talking

Originally Posted by f0xx
Looking to do the Plat. Challenge however I had a few questions.

Do they count past stays/nights (obi. not from months ago)? I had ~6 nights in JUL (~7 in JUN). I have more to come.

Should I call or email? If calling is easier, which number do I use? Plat. number or just regular CS?
If not mistaken, it would be counted if you do the challenge for Jun, July & August 2015.

It would mean you would already have 14 nights and 4 more nights to go for the Platinum.

Thanks
Old Jul 30, 2015, 1:27 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by ean2015
If not mistaken, it would be counted if you do the challenge for Jun, July & August 2015.

It would mean you would already have 14 nights and 4 more nights to go for the Platinum.

Thanks
Thanks!

I was able to do JUN, JUL and AUG. ^
Going to knock them out easy.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by f0xx
Thanks!

I was able to do JUN, JUL and AUG. ^
Going to knock them out easy.
Congrats. I am a lowly Gold and unlikely ever gonna change.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 1:45 am

Is there a limit to the number of times SPG will grant a platinum challenge?

If I sucessfully completed a challenge (with significant $ spend), but failed to requalify with 50 nights for the following year, would I be able to request another challenge several years later? i.e. is the challenge a one time shot like a status match, or is it possible to request and complete a challenge multiple times?
Old Sep 7, 2015, 2:42 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Is there a limit to the number of times SPG will grant a platinum challenge?

If I sucessfully completed a challenge (with significant $ spend), but failed to requalify with 50 nights for the following year, would I be able to request another challenge several years later? i.e. is the challenge a one time shot like a status match, or is it possible to request and complete a challenge multiple times?
"You cannot do status challenges back to back, as this program is only applicable for those that haven’t had SPG Platinum or Gold status in the past five years."
Old Sep 7, 2015, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by jibi
"You cannot do status challenges back to back, as this program is only applicable for those that haven’t had SPG Platinum or Gold status in the past five years."
Thanks. I would not expect back to back, but just wanted to know if it were possible to do mutiple times over a period of years.

For me it would make sense to do a challenge if anticipating a significant number of nights with *wood.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 12:59 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Thanks. I would not expect back to back, but just wanted to know if it were possible to do mutiple times over a period of years.

For me it would make sense to do a challenge if anticipating a significant number of nights with *wood.
As mentioned, you have to become a non-Platinum for at least 5 years to be eligible for the challenge again.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 12:55 pm

Does anyone know how it works if the three months chosen are December, January, and February? I assume that nights stayed in December carry over to the next year for the purposes of the challenge but not for the purposes of maintaining status beyond 2016. Is that correct? Also, do the nights stayed as part of the challenge count towards the nights needed in 2016 to maintain status?
Old Oct 2, 2015, 9:10 am

If I am a gold member, can I request a Platinum challenge? still 18 nights?
Or am I not even qualified for a platinum challenge...?
Old Oct 2, 2015, 12:11 pm

Programs: DL, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by nickchanz
If I am a gold member, can I request a Platinum challenge? still 18 nights?
Or am I not even qualified for a platinum challenge...?
I have the same question. If I've never been Platinum but am gold, could I run for this?

Also if there is a chance I would not qualify the following year without the challenge, I assume it makes the most sense to wait until after next April to do the challenge to maximize my time as a Platinum?

Last edited by paterwdb; Oct 2, 2015 at 12:21 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.