Sneaky Expiration of Starwood Points?

Old Apr 4, 2011, 3:24 pm

Programs: SPG LTP
Originally Posted by GUWonder
It doesn't even take that much.

Still, I've seen various accounts with more than 300,000 SPG points almost get hit by expiration -- if it weren't for (sometimes rather creative) intervention, they'd go up in smoke. Losing that many points or even less than 10% of that amount can be a rather dramatic surprise for some.
Originally Posted by dmdflyer
Would you be happy if your airline asks you for one (1) measly flight a year?

The majority of FF and hotel programs allow you keep your account, even with some points or miles expiring after a certain period. There are reasonable ways to extend or prevent expiration, such as using some of their partners offer, buying points, etc.

The only exceptions I know are : A-Club (Accor) and SPG. At least A-Club clearly states it in their T&C and they consistently remove the points after 1 year of inactivity.

In my personal opinion (feel free to disagree): yes, I think it would reasonable for my airline as well ... and if you don't mind explicit quoting: it's actually in your wording - how would it be 'my' airline if I didn't even fly it once a year ?

For the record: lost my Aeroplan when moving to Europe (fine, transferred points to one of their causes in time), and actually was upset at KLM (they basically messed up my account with the AF merger, and that I didn't anticipate).

... as for someone coming close to let 300K *points slip away, I'm kinda baffled (does this mean I've been a good FT student ?
Old Nov 17, 2011, 4:09 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Plat+, FoundersCard, Amex Plat, TR Diamond, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Dia, HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by kenbo
So then the 100 points for Earth Hour aren't sufficient to keep accounts open?
Originally Posted by philemer
Correct. Only paid stays & SPG CC spending. There is one other way that involves eating a meal at a *wood hotel but I'm unsure of the full details.
I just stumbled onto this thread. I thought I was OK from the Earth Hour promo, but I guess not. I still have a SPG Amex, but I don't use it. According to my yodlee record, I haven't earned starpoints with my Amex since 9/16/10, but my points/account don't seem to have expired yet.

Is there a way on the SPG site to see older transactions so that I can tell what date they have attached to my last CC points?

And if my points expire, but I use my Amex within the 6-month "grace" period, will everything automatically come back to life?

thanks...
Old Jan 13, 2016, 11:07 am

In the mid 90's I was staying 150 nights a year for about 2 years at a Sheraton in NJ. SPG wiped out my account with no notice whatsoever. I would have thought I would have been the highest level and they would not do that.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 12:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by coasttal
In the mid 90's I was staying 150 nights a year for about 2 years at a Sheraton in NJ. SPG wiped out my account with no notice whatsoever. I would have thought I would have been the highest level and they would not do that.
Did this happen in the late 90s or recently? That is not clear.

Not sure why "elite level" has to do with anything the situation. If and individual has not had any activity in 18 months, you're most likely, no longer "loyal" for whatever reason.

Based solely on what you've written, without knowing you. Thinking that SPG wouldn't delete you account or because you're a high elite level is very "DYKWIA?", considering what is written in the T&Cs.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 2:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by coasttal
Welcome to Flyertalk!

Starwood didn't even acquire the Sheraton brand until 1998 (assuming you mean '94-'97 when you say "mid-90s"). Did SPG as a defined program exist at that time? Did Starpoints? Way before my time!
Old Jan 13, 2016, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Reviving a 4-yr old thread to talk about something that happened 20 years ago?
Old Jan 13, 2016, 4:38 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Marriott
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
Thinking that SPG wouldn't delete you account or because you're a high elite level is very "DYKWIA?", considering what is written in the T&Cs.
Actually, SPG does consider status as an important factor when deactivating accounts, one would go from

February: Plat -> Gold
12 months later: Gold -> Preferred
12 months later: Preferred -> Inactive

So he's not being a DYKWIA, SPG does give considerable time for elites to come back.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by miloworld
Actually, SPG does consider status as an important factor when deactivating accounts, one would go from

So he's not being a DYKWIA, SPG does give considerable time for elites to come back.
Can you explain how your 2-3 year timeline translates to the poster's mid 90's to present timeline? Sounds like the poster hasn't stayed at SPG for around 20 years and is expecting SPG to reward his "loyalty"
Old Jan 13, 2016, 7:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

Does this override the rule about accounts being closed and points forfeited after 12-18 months without eligible activity? If so, Plats get a couple additional years of grace before their points expire.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 9:32 pm
Suspended

Consider we have no dates, how can you determine this?

Can you post a link to this in the T&Cs or another thread, that discusses what you describe above?

I am very well aware SPG provides soft landings for people, who don't requalify as Platinum. However, that has nothing to do with account "inactivity". I do not understanding how an individual who has had no activity, therefore not loyal, should be given a "grace period"?
Old Jan 22, 2016, 7:36 pm

Lack of Courtesy

It may be in the T&Cs but points disappearing without warning leaves a
bad taste. Try Hyatt, for years their points didn't expire and now that
they've instituted an expiration policy, they have the courtesy to send repeated emails alerting you.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 9:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Welcome to FT, chaimetta!

Originally Posted by chaimetta
It may be in the T&Cs but points disappearing without warning leaves a bad taste.
I have to disagree. If points have any value to a person, that person needs to understand the T&C and take responsibility for their own choices.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by chaimetta
It may be in the T&Cs but points disappearing without warning leaves a bad taste.
Why? That's why the Ts&Cs are there. For us to read them.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 6:28 pm

My husband just had all of his Starpoints expire (or perhaps forfeited is the right word) because of "inactivity" on his account - although the stay that he had a few weeks ago did appear on this account.

When we got married a few years ago, he cancelled his SPG credit card because he became a secondary cardholder on mine. And over the past few year, he's stayed multiple times at Starwood properties, but never received credit for them, either because I booked them for us (in fact we were responsible for booking a block of TEN rooms at the Nines in Portland last year for a family wedding!), and they appeared in my name, or he traveled through work and a producer booked a block of rooms for the team.

What's irritating is that we were just about to call and have SPG transfer his points to my account (something that SPG offers to married couples) so we could redeem them all for a 5 night stay - but I guess we were a few weeks too late.

He's made a few calls, and though it looked promising at first, they are saying that the points cannot be reinstated. This feels pretty terrible given that we have been 100% loyal to SPG, staying solely at SPG properties when we have the choice and using the credit card almost exclusively.

Any advice or hope for getting these points reinstated?
Old Feb 23, 2016, 7:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ginabee2
My husband just had all of his Starpoints expire (or perhaps forfeited is the right word) because of "inactivity" on his account - although the stay that he had a few weeks ago did appear on this account.

When we got married a few years ago, he cancelled his SPG credit card because he became a secondary cardholder on mine. And over the past few year, he's stayed multiple times at Starwood properties, but never received credit for them, either because I booked them for us (in fact we were responsible for booking a block of TEN rooms at the Nines in Portland last year for a family wedding!), and they appeared in my name, or he traveled through work and a producer booked a block of rooms for the team.

What's irritating is that we were just about to call and have SPG transfer his points to my account (something that SPG offers to married couples) so we could redeem them all for a 5 night stay - but I guess we were a few weeks too late.

He's made a few calls, and though it looked promising at first, they are saying that the points cannot be reinstated. This feels pretty terrible given that we have been 100% loyal to SPG, staying solely at SPG properties when we have the choice and using the credit card almost exclusively.

Any advice or hope for getting these points reinstated?
Based on what you wrote, your husband did not have eligible stays. If you booked/reserved a room in your name, using your SPG number and your credit card. Your husband was not eligible for credit.

If your husbands company booked rooms in block, the rooms were most likely not eligible for points due to being a negotiated rate.

In reality, based on what you wrote, your husband account was inactive.

At any time did you inquire with SPG (the research department) as to why no stay credit or points were posted to the account?? You say you called SPG, what was said? That information is important to this post.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.