Curious - threats to leave - made real?

Old Mar 1, 2011, 6:15 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
IIRC never threaten to leave SPG but the last 6 months have seen more stays at other hotels (mainly independents) than ever before.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 7:34 am

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by deant
That being said, I was finally able to talk to the proper people at Starwood and they were able to work around the system problems and get me the reservation that I was looking for. I give great kudos to the Starwood people who made it happen.

Hope this helps to clear things up for people.
It does. Says to me that rather than easily being able to get what you should have been able to, you had to jump through hoops. Why bother?
Old Mar 1, 2011, 9:57 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by McFlyPHL
It does. Says to me that rather than easily being able to get what you should have been able to, you had to jump through hoops. Why bother?
Very good reason to bother. We plan on going to the Olympics. To book any room during that time will be very expensive. Right now the Starwood rooms, if they are available, are only going for rack rate - with full prepayment and no refund. In the case of the Park Lane, that is about $4,300 USD for 5 nights. Using points, I was able to stay the same 5 nights for 40K points. That is a "value" of almost 11 cents per point - and if I find something better later on I can cancel at no cost. Best use of points I have ever had - or probably will have.

That was the reason to bother.

Also, I understand the system problems that Starwood was happening. Sure, they probably should have never happened. I am sure that the "extraordinary demand" and the change to the rack rate payment requirements had something to do with it. But things happen and it all worked out in the end.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 11:35 am
Suspended

(I wish the thread title was better...but, whatever.)

I have definitely directed more traffic to Hyatt. The aforementioned breakfast benefit is huge. I also hate the upgrade groveling at Starwood...particularly when you know a suite is available. It's just a stupid game...very tiring.

I also had a brutal time in 2010 getting my Platinum amenities to post automatically. Historically, they would post 90% of the time. In 2010, I was under 1/3. I think I had eight or nine straight amenities not post automatically. But, Hyatt's bonuses never post so that is a push.

I guess the big problem with Hyatt is their footprint. How a major international hotel chain doesn't have a property in Amsterdam simply blows my mind. How is that possible?

Yes, I would jump to Hyatt if their footprint was better. My decision regarding hotels is like my decision regarding cell phone carriers. AT&T has better/cooler phones and is cheaper. But, Verizon has the network and...everything else is unimportant if the network s*cks. (Not saying Starwood s*cks...but, right now, Hyatt is better.) So, I choose Verizon. Same with hotels. I vote for footprint being key.

Last edited by JFKSFOLAX_friend; Mar 2, 2011 at 2:10 pm
Old Mar 1, 2011, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
OK, this one I have to ask about. SPG and Starwood have never lied to me.
Hoyt Harper announced new Sheraton Lounge policy in Nov 2010 at SMD2 in Seattle, with an effective date of Jan 1, 2011.

Though I think the original comment was more about over-promising and under-delivering.

-David
Old Mar 1, 2011, 4:06 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

And that's key. You're one of the lucky few, and congratulations on being able to take advantage of it.
Take advantage of.. what? Someone else's corporate rate?
Old Mar 1, 2011, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by ldsant
Just curious - many people last year stated that they were leaving SPG. Now that two months have passed, how many nights have you transferred to other hotel chains away from SPG?
In these first two months, I shifted a few stays to IHG, but my bookings for later in the year are still with Starwood. In general, I don't find IHG to be an improvement.

Of course, if Hyatt were to open up status matching it might be a whole different story, but unless they do I'm not likely to move. After all, keeping customers with a given company is exactly what loyalty programs were invented for.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 7:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by izzik
Take advantage of.. what? Someone else's corporate rate?
No, any good corporate rate. Many corporate rates tend to be significantly higher than publicly available rates.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 7:48 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
I have basically shut down SPG as it is only worth it (IMO) at the top tier and that is just too difficult for me. I get enough benefits as a Hilton Gold and since I do not care about suite upgrades I am pretty happy. I have also been impressed with the ability to earn and burn points with Priority Club. Ok, so no real benefits as a Plat but that is pretty much like bein SPG Gold right?
Old Mar 1, 2011, 10:11 pm

Programs: TWA Platinum Ambassador, Eastern Stratosphere, NWA Gold Elite
The Diamond breakfast amenity alone is unreal- fully comped breakfast if the hotel doesn't have a lounge.
I can understand you seeing that as critical if your employer doesn't reimburse you for breakfast. But I have never had to face that problem.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 11:03 pm

No, any good corporate rate. Many corporate rates tend to be significantly higher than publicly available rates.
???

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Mar 2, 2011 at 5:06 am
Old Mar 1, 2011, 11:09 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

I'm missing something.. what is this lying?
Old Mar 2, 2011, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
I never leave one of my three chains, however, currently InterConti is top of the league due to unrivalled RA benefits - this might change when certain hotels leave to IC chain.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 7:14 am

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by deant
Very good reason to bother. <snip>

Also, I understand the system problems that Starwood was happening. Sure, they probably should have never happened. I am sure that the "extraordinary demand" and the change to the rack rate payment requirements had something to do with it. But things happen and it all worked out in the end.
Oh, I hear you - $4,500 reasons to bother. My point is that it shouldn't require jumping through the hoops. It's not worth it to go out of my way to stay in an SPG property if you've got to jump through hoops to obtain even cursory benefits you should have had to begin with, because they were promised.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 7:32 am

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Last year this time I had ~11 SPG stays. This year I have none. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

If SPG has a double stay promo, I will most likely still make plat. If not, I will struggle to make gold. I used to stay in this order-MR 60%, SPG 30%, Hy 10%. Now I am MR 60%, Hyatt 40%, SPG 0% so far this year.

Biggest reasons:

1-"suite roulette" Never seem to win that game-might have to do with the fact that I check in late...but 4 confirmed certs is nice.
2-Lack of free breakfast. (I am a perdiem guy, so that is $10-$20 EVERY day in my pocket. $15avg X 220 nights a year = $3300 in my POCKET-not including waters/evening snacks/etc from the lounges that SPG doesnt have! Hard to justify that....)
3-20% off food at Marriott. That benefit alone brings me ~$2000+ a year in my POCKET!!!! That is a HUGE benefit for me...I travel alone and eat in a hotel many many many nights a year.
4-Lack of room type guarantee on award stays...REALLY...REALLY...REALLY SPG??? Come'on!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.