Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Liberty Hotel Boston [Master Thread]

Liberty Hotel Boston [Master Thread]

Old Feb 24, 2014, 5:50 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Stayed here Saturday night, on a cheap promotional rate that included parking. Got to the property at 12:30 and was offered a room with a bad view immediately, or we could wait for a courtyard view. Wife prefers the view, so we agreed to wait and went off exploring the city on a beautiful weekend.

Got assigned room 613, which, IMHO, is the weakest of the courtyard view rooms. It's the room right behind the elevators, which you'd hear if you don't have a white noise machine going (which we always carry), and the least view of the river.

The room could use some new paint and a thorough cleaning. Nothing gross, but when I stay at a "Luxury Collection" property, I expect there not to be black smudges on the walls, layers of dust in the corners between the walls and ceilings, and multiple colorful stains on the ceiling over the bed. I also don't expect large "pump" soap/shampoo dispensers in the shower, but that might just be me.

The service is excellent, from the valet to the front desk. We were told our bags would be delivered "shortly" when we did return to the hotel around 3 and got the room assignment, but I had to call down an hour later to get them actually delivered (in 5-10 minutes from the call).

Overall we considered it an acceptable stay for the price. Had we been paying $500 instead of around half that, though, we would have been disappointed.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 2:56 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
And 24 hours later a $6.51 honor bar charge comes via e-mail.

I bet it's the 2 bottles of "with our compliments" water.

I've never incurred a minibar or honor bar expense in my life.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 8:52 am

Looking to stay here in Sept...are there any suites that offer 2 beds? Seems the only suite available is a king bed, but there will be two people in the room and we will not be sharing a bed. Thanks for the info.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 2:23 pm

Programs: SPG Plat 100, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Mrgolfer21
Looking to stay here in Sept...are there any suites that offer 2 beds? Seems the only suite available is a king bed, but there will be two people in the room and we will not be sharing a bed. Thanks for the info.
I encountered the same issue last July. When I checked in, front desk told me they only had suites w/ one king bed. I ended up getting the standard room w/ two doubles (pretty small beds). You may be able to ask for a cot, though, if you get the suite. Would be worth calling up the hotel and asking.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 8:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
Anyone stayed here recently? I'm deciding between this one and the Hyatt in the financial district.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA-P, B6, DL, SW, SPG_M-P, AGR-S+
I know Clink food purchases earn Starpoints. Does Scampo participate in Starpoints earning as well?
Old Sep 16, 2015, 7:39 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Upcoming Renovation

Looks like the Liberty will be doing a renovation to guest rooms beginning in a few months:

Special Conditions

Guest Room Renovations: Nov. 23, 2015 – Feb. 29, 2016
From November 23, 2015, to February 29, 2016, The Liberty Hotel will be undergoing guest room renovations. Our guest rooms are being completely redefined and revitalized to enhance your future experiences at The Liberty. In order to minimize any disruption to guests, the hotel will be completing this work in phases. We want to assure you that your upcoming stay at The Liberty will be a quiet, comfortable, and enjoyable one, and we look forward to showing you our renovated guest rooms soon. For questions about the renovations, please call us directly at (1)(617) 224-4000 or email [email protected].
No details on what exactly is being planned.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 3:57 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by ImprovGal
I know Clink food purchases earn Starpoints. Does Scampo participate in Starpoints earning as well?
If you can charge the restaurant meal/dining to your hotel room, you can earn Starpoints whether you're a hotel guest or not.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 8:44 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LTT, Hyatt Exp, AA 1MM, UA Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
Looks like the Liberty will be doing a renovation to guest rooms beginning in a few months:

No details on what exactly is being planned.
I saw one of the sample rooms they were trying out. It's a significant change to room appearance - hardwood floors, over-the-top headboard, etc. The version I saw wasn't my cup of tea, so hopefully they went with the other option! That said, even if I wasn't a fan of the furnishings, I'd likely still make the Liberty my choice in Boston - loved it during my long-term project in Boston.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Guestroom Renovation is complete

THE LUXURY COLLECTION® HOTELS & RESORTS UNVEILS NEW LOOK OF BOSTON’S ICONIC LIBERTY HOTEL

March 22, 2016
Revamped Luxury Hotel Breaks Out of Former Charles Street Jail

BOSTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- The Luxury Collection Hotels & Resorts, part of Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. (NYSE:HOT), today announced the completion of an $11 million guestroom renovation of The Liberty, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Boston. Sitting at the foot of the cobblestone-lined streets of Beacon Hill, the hotel stands as the inspired transformation of the infamous Charles Street Jail. Once home to several notorious inmates, the architectural gem features 298 newly designed accommodations reimagined by acclaimed interior designer Bill Rooney.

This Smart News Release features multimedia. View the full release here: http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...0322005526/en/

Charles River Suite at The Liberty Hotel, photo credit: Dom Miguel
Charles River Suite at The Liberty Hotel, photo credit: Dom Miguel

“The Liberty’s renovation project is a cornerstone in The Luxury Collection brand’s $300 million dollar investment effort to renovate and reopen some of the most iconic hotels in North America,” stated Hoyt H. Harper II, Global Brand Leader, The Luxury Collection Hotels & Resorts. “We are thrilled to deliver enhanced accommodations while still allowing guests to experience the authenticity of one of Boston’s most notable landmarks.”

Rooted in history and fortified with contemporary design, the completely transformed guestrooms evoke a ‘Quintessentially Boston’ atmosphere. Custom furniture and fixtures, tailor-made accents and artwork, herringbone wall coverings, wide-plank hardwood floors, library-style club chairs, and leather headboards create a warm and luxurious New England feel. Bathrooms offer four-fixture floating granite vanities, sleek glass showers and large soaking tubs. Many of the newly-appointed guestrooms offer spectacular views of Beacon Hill and the sailboat strewn waters of the Charles River.

In addition to the refurbished guestrooms, The Liberty’s renovation project included the redesign of some of Boston’s top suites, including the Ebersol Suite and the Charles River Suites. Floor-to-ceiling windows wrap the 2,220 square-foot Ebersol Suite, which includes an expansive living room, dining room and butler pantry, library, master bedroom and bathroom, and a 300 square-foot outdoor patio. The Charles River Suites also boast floor-to-ceiling windows, featuring sweeping views of the Boston skyline.

“The Liberty has been an innovator in the Boston hotel market since we opened eight years ago, and this renovation is an exciting new page in The Liberty’s chaptered history,” said Rachel Moniz, General Manager of The Liberty, a Luxury Collection Hotel. “We combine a luxurious environment with an energetic and unique social backdrop that offers visitors and local residents an exceptional experience beyond compare.”

Some of the most sought-after reservations in town include the hotel’s inspired culinary and cocktail establishments such as CLINK, Alibi, Scampo, The Liberty Bar, The Yard, and Catwalk, making it an epicurean pillar of the city. Travelers and locals alike have complimentary access to Boston’s best music, art, fashion and fitness scenes with Liberty Affairs. The innovative weekly series of events delivers hand-picked experiences hosted by the hotel, from live jazz in the lobby to weekly fashion shows featuring local and national designers.

Originally Posted by wizzy
I saw one of the sample rooms they were trying out. It's a significant change to room appearance - hardwood floors, over-the-top headboard, etc. The version I saw wasn't my cup of tea, so hopefully they went with the other option! That said, even if I wasn't a fan of the furnishings, I'd likely still make the Liberty my choice in Boston - loved it during my long-term project in Boston.
I agree 100% this isn't my style either. I live in the area so more visit for events, lobby scene, etc but I liked the more clean look before. After eight years of heavy use it's understandable they'd be due for a refresh, but I don't like the dark color palate and agree on the headboard. The hardwood floors are nice though and give a more residential feel. I think for the most part the bathrooms were left as is.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 2:10 pm

Rooms were nice, check-in was terrible, and staff are rude. They call this a dog friendly hotel and I don't think it is. We arrived for a wedding for which my lady was a member of the wedding party and had to attend rehearsal dinner. They at first claimed I had no reservation. I showed them the reservation on my phone on the SPG app as well as the email confirmation. They said they could not locate it in their system and then gave me issue honoring the rate. The room was not ready, she missed the first part of rehearsal and had to find someone else's room to use to change. We were whisked away to an isolated area of the hotel to wait for the room because we had a dog (cutest and friendliest dog ever by the way). The funniest part was the evening manager personally called me around 10pm saying he noticed that I hadn't checked-in yet and asked if I was still planning on arriving for my stay...so I guess they found the original reservation??

Every time I had to walk my dog, I got dirty looks from the hotel staff. I had to enter/exit through the lobby unless there was some secret passage for dog owners they didn't mention? The kicker was after the wedding, I had to walk the pup, and as I was returning I ran into the bride and groom and was saying a final goodnight. The hotel staff were furious that the dog was in the lobby for even a minute. I politely said isn't this a dog friendly hotel to which I got a reply that dogs are not allowed in the lobby. I said I would be done after saying my goodnights in a minute but they kept nagging me so I took my time. They said I signed some paper (which I didn't) saying I agreed not to be in the lobby with the dog. I suggested that their customer service skills could use some improvement between no room being available at check-in and the rudeness with the dog. Check-in time was 3PM by the way, we arrived a little late (4pm-ish), and it still took over an hour to get a room (I think it was around 530pm we finally got the room).

Last edited by mysterym; Sep 19, 2016 at 2:16 pm
Old Dec 10, 2016, 12:10 pm

Anyone been here recently and have any thoughts?
Old Dec 12, 2016, 7:11 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I've stayed several times in spring and again in June. I'm booked again already for several stays in spring and summer 2017.

I thought the newly renovated rooms are fantastic--very clubby (lounge club, not drinking club), masculine, and even a bit nautical, with rich, darker colors, wood floors, and very nice design/decor. The entry level rooms are a bit small for a couple but would be fine for 1 person. Higher level rooms are more spacious. I've ironically never had a suite upgrade here despite several stays--the only Luxury Collection hotel where that's true IIRC. Yet I love the hotel.

I've had nothing but great experiences here--great reception, friendly and helpful staff, efficient housekeeping, and amazing food/beverage and room service. Clink is one of my favorite restaurants in the city, and I often dine here even when I don't stay here.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 8:26 pm

Programs: British Air silver, Starwood Platimum, Amex Platinum
pre Thanksgiving

We stayed there for five nights before Thanksgiving. The only problem was check in. We arrived at 11:00 pm on Friday. Lots of action and noise. Hard to hear, very noisy. We did not get a suite, but a 15 th floor with a river view. Highly recommended
Old Dec 12, 2016, 9:54 pm

Programs: SPG, DL
I've stayed here multiple times in the past year, only place i consider in Boston. Ambience and location are great, rooms are excellent and very well appointed with well themed pieces (keys, "old" wooden desks, etc).

I think they only actually have 2 suites in the whole hotel? I've never gotten one but the corner king has an excellent view, every from lower floors, and is more than large enough.

Only suggestion is to get a room as high up as possible

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.